PDA

View Full Version : HEPA upgrades for DCs?

Dan Hintz
07-13-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm trying to get the shop ready for delivery of my incoming Stinger, and DC is high on the priority list. At the moment, I'm using the red 1HP blower from HF along with a custom activated charcoal and HEPA filter (the design can be found in the Engraver's forum)... to say it's noisy at full power is an understatement (the things has to be in the mid-90's dBa range!). So, I'd like to replace it with something that I can run for both the laser []and[/u] the Stinger.

I'm looking at the 2HP PSI DC2000B for $340 shipped (at a nice and quiet 69 dBa). It comes with a 1 micron bag, but I'd like HEPA filtration levels... my lungs and my laser environment will thank me later. Any suggestions on where to find a HEPA element for the DC2000B?

Dave Gaul
07-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Have you looked at Wynn?

http://www.wynnenv.com/hepa_filters.htm

If you call them and describe your requirements, they will gladly help you out...

David Hostetler
07-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Per wikipedia, HEPA filters 99.77% of airborne particles at .3 microns. The Wynn Environmental 35A 80/20 paper blend is 99.99% at .5 micron or MERV 10, the Spun Bond Polyester is 99.995 at 1 micron but is rated at MERV 11 so it would have to filter just a shave better than the paper blend at .5 micron to achieve that result. The new NANO fiber cartridge filters at 99.999% at .5 micron or MERV 15.

That is as close to HEPA as I am aware of for a dust collector. As far as compatibility with the PSI unit, I cannot attest to that. If it has a standard orifice plate may just be a drop in fit for the Wynn filters. Check their site out.

Sorry no links. Google HEPA filter definition, and Wynn Environmental.

Matt Kestenbaum
07-13-2010, 4:56 PM
+1 for Wynn. I have the Wynn Nano filter fitted (with rubber gasket and clear silicon) onto a used Powermatic PM 73 (1.5 HP) collector. It has worked great...and the folks at Wynn are super helpful.