PDA

View Full Version : Adding a zipper to a dust collection bag

Prashun Patel
07-13-2010, 10:58 AM
I have a 10u dust collection bag that works great hooked up to the output of my DW735 planer. (I use mine outside, so I don't care about the fine dust going thru).

However, my bag has no zipper to be able to easily extract the chips from the bag. Any ideas on how to add one? Is velcro better? Just want to be able to easily empty the bag into a trash bin.

Rod Sheridan
07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Shawn, I would think that Velcro would become clogged with shavings and dust, so I'd opt for a zipper.

Regards, Rod.

Bill White
07-13-2010, 1:02 PM
If you don't have the sewing equip., take the bag and a good quality metal zipper to the shoe shop. They'll sew it right in.
Bill

Louie Ballis
07-13-2010, 5:03 PM
I'd love to have a zipper on my poly bag attached to the DC.

Neil Brooks
07-13-2010, 5:19 PM
When I accompany my wife to Jo Ann Fabrics (she goes with me to the tool stores and the lumberyard, so ... fair's fair ;)), I see wide selections of heavy duty zippers, in stock.

Should find what you need, there.

I agree that a zipper would be better than Velcro in this application.

Josiah Bartlett
07-13-2010, 7:16 PM
My biscuit joiner has a dust collection bag that is open at the bottom. To close it, you just fold it over what amounts to a plastic dowel and put a clip over it. You could do the same thing with your DC bag if you didn't want to bother sewing in a zipper.

Neil Brooks
07-13-2010, 8:07 PM
Josiah,

Nah.

Sounds WAY too easy, WAY too practical, and WAY too cheap.

;)

Prashun Patel
07-14-2010, 8:52 AM
My biscuit joiner has a dust collection bag that is open at the bottom. To close it, you just fold it over what amounts to a plastic dowel and put a clip over it.

And we have a winner.

I love SMC. Thanks, All.

Stephen Cherry
07-14-2010, 11:44 AM
This place has zippers, velcro, tape, thread, etc.

http://www.sailrite.com/

If you decide to sew the bags, you may want to make sure you use good thread. This is not always available at the craft store.