PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I need plans for a crib or changing table

Derek Gilmer
07-13-2010, 9:43 AM
Well, I got to see this last week! I think it is my favorite picture because of the measurements. I wish could have got a video of the recording of the heart beat but the ultrasound machine didn't do video. The little thing is at about 9 weeks now and will be our first and the first grand kid for both sides.

Right now we are both still super excited. I hear the fear comes closer to the deliver day (sometime around Feb 17th based on size). I can't help but grin every time I show the pictures off to people. Well, enough gushing about the little one to be and time to get to work.

I need advice on building furniture from all you woodworking (grand)parents out there. What items were great and what got used a few times then out grown. And what are some of the better plans you've seen?

I've just begun digging through plans and articles online. Right now it looks like a changing table/chest of drawers combo and a convertible crib/bed are the most useful things to build.

Any advice is more than welcome!

Belinda Barfield
07-13-2010, 9:48 AM
Derek,

I can't help with plans for cribs, etc., but I sure can say Congratulations! Thanks for posting the ultrasound photo also . . . how precious.

Jamie Buxton
07-13-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't have photos, but here's a changing table I built a couple years ago.

The basic idea is to make a piece of furniture that doesn't turn useless the moment the kid gets out of diapers. In this case, it becomes a chest of drawers. The tray on top holds a standard changing pad. The height of the dresser was set so that the child is at a convenient working height for whoever is changing diapers.

Matt Meiser
07-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Personally I wouldn't build a crib or cradle. I built a cradle, we used it a several weeks, then she grew and got too big for it and move to the crib. Cribs have way too many safety changes and chances are whatever you build today won't meet current saftey requirements by the time this one is done with it. We had one of the cribs that converts to a toddler bed which was a great transition since there's a lot less distance to fall from bed.

The dresser/changing table is a great idea because it can grow with him/her.

I started building my daughter's bedroom furniture about the time she was ready for a twin bed. Now I've built a bed, night stand, dresser, and bookshelf. A desk is next up since she's reaching the age where she is going to start having more and more homework. The trick was to pick a style.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Congrats Derek!

Michael Weber
07-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Congratulations! You need to start limbering up now because if it's a girl you will need to be supple to be twisted around little fingers.;)

Stan Powers
07-13-2010, 11:27 AM
I built a crib for my grandson. He has been using it for almost 2 years now and it is about to be handed down to his brand new sister.

It was based on the plans in the book Childrens Furniture Projects by Jeff Miller. It was an interesting project and a lot of fun to build. Jeff talks about the safety requirements and types of finish required.

I have hopes that my grandchildren will pass it down to their children

Matt Meiser
07-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Stan, that's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. While I'm sure yours doesn't suffer from the issues that the Chinese-made mass market ones had, drop side cribs were just deemed unsafe by the CPSC.

Bruce Page
07-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Stan, that's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. While I'm sure yours doesn't suffer from the issues that the Chinese-made mass market ones had, drop side cribs were just deemed unsafe by the CPSC.

And yet millions of babies have survived them. The CSPC has its place but I think they sometimes get carried away in our CYB society.
My daughter has spent hundreds of dollars on approved car seats that suddenly become unapproved. I think that is crazy.

Congrats Derek!!

Matt Meiser
07-13-2010, 1:21 PM
Well, by that logic paint the crib with lead paint--millilons of babies survived that too! :D

Seriously, I'm not saying the CPSC is right. I'm just saying most new parents (like your kids will be some day) will be unlikely to reuse something that doesn't meet a safety standard that was changed 25 years ago. So you build a crib, it gets used a couple years, maybe for a couple kids, then ends up in the basement or attic never to be used again. My mom offered us the crib that I and my 4 brothers used too but we were'nt about to use it since it had several features that were unsafe by 2002 standards. I'm saying put your efforts into something that can continue to be used and is less likely to run into safety issues down the road.

Andy Pedler
07-14-2010, 1:30 AM
Congrats! A new baby is the best news. Hard to wipe the smile off your face for weeks, and don't worry about the "scary" part. It isn't bad, and you'll find you just adapt to the situations as they arise. Just enjoy it since the time flies by and before you know it they're swiping your #607 to prep their own work. ;)

My 2c would be to ditch the changing table idea. We bought one, and through 3 kids maybe we used it once. The one we bought was from a reputable company and of high quality, but frankly, I was always scared to use the thing. And changing diapers on a bed or carpeted floor is so quick and easy, I see no point in a changing table.

The dresser is the way to go. If you can find plans and have the inclination, I've always thought it would be cool to add one of those "secret" compartments. Kids love that sort of thing. My kids would have a ball hiding their trinkets in that sort of thing. If I only had more time/skill to build something like that....:rolleyes:

Congrats once again to you and your wife. You're starting down the most rewarding road. Good stuff ahead.

- Andy - Newark, Ca

neal jack
07-14-2010, 3:57 AM
Congrats! A new baby is the best news. Hard to wipe the smile off your face for weeks, and don't worry about the "scary" part. It isn't bad, and you'll find you just adapt to the situations as they arise. Just enjoy it since the time flies by and before you know it they're swiping your #607 to prep their own work. ;)

My 2c would be to ditch the changing table idea. We bought one, and through 3 kids maybe we used it once. The one we bought was from a reputable company and of high quality, but frankly, I was always scared to use the thing. And changing diapers on a bed or carpeted floor is so quick and easy, I see no point in a changing table.

The dresser is the way to go. If you can find plans and have the inclination, I've always thought it would be cool to add one of those "secret" compartments. Kids love that sort of thing. My kids would have a ball hiding their trinkets in that sort of thing. If I only had more time/skill to build something like that....:rolleyes:

Congrats once again to you and your wife. You're starting down the most rewarding road. Good stuff ahead.

- Andy - Newark, Ca
yeah, you are sure to be startting down the most best road. hope u have bright future

Derek Gilmer
07-14-2010, 9:10 AM
Thanks for all the advice and congratulations. I am definitely having hard time not smiling for long these days.

Lots of good things to think about as I dig through plans for various baby related items :D

Lee Schierer
07-14-2010, 2:08 PM
I have a dimensioned drawing for a dressing table that looks like this.http://mysite.verizon.net/us71na/nathan%20dresser.jpg My drawing does not show all the joint details.

Ed Jolin
07-14-2010, 10:34 PM
My 0.02 for most used -
Kid sized (low/hard to tip) bookshelves or a classic hardwood toy box.

They will be reading books and playing with toys for many years to come, whereas they will outgrow a changing table and crib before you know it.

Also, imo, unless something specific been requested by the parents, something as significant as a crib or dresser may take some input from them if it's to fit with their planned decor. (I won't take sides on the crib safety debate, other than to say that your threshold for safety issues may be different than theirs, which could result in a crib they are unwilling to use for their child)

For later on, something that gets a lot of use is a simple kid size table and chair set. We got ours as a gift from Crate and Barrel (I think), and it's been used daily for several years now. Woulda' been easy to build.

Congratulations!

Michael MacDonald
07-15-2010, 9:56 AM
congratulations...

this is about three years away, but one of the most annoying storage issues is "arts and crafts" stuff... crayons, paper, stamp kits, glitter glue, playdoh... everything. perhaps you can find a child-level nook in the kitchen and fill it with small drawers for that kind of stuff... toy storage is similar--I bet there are some great toy chest plans online. I recently saw an example of a "kitchen" toy that folded out into a work table... if I run across that link, I will send it... you might be able to search for it on the net.

again, a few years away. the more immediate stuff would be dressers and changing tables and the like. I just completed a bed for one kid, but never did any of the baby furniture.

Butch Edwards
07-15-2010, 6:37 PM
I built my Grandsons' crib last Nov, got the plans' from PlansNow.com. The hardware was $150( not including matress), so they're not cheap to build. I used tiger maple, and it turned out beautifully.

However,the CBS Evening news just broadcasted that the feds are now trying to ban all drop-side cribs for safety reasons. I don't agree with their assessment,but I know that varying quality of hardware/wood could make a difference between safe and unsafe. Using the hardware that I bought, there's no way the crib can be unsafe in the way they say they are.
oh yeah.... CONGRATS!!!!! ;)