PDA

View Full Version : Large art platter

Thomas Bennett
07-13-2010, 8:23 AM
…….is what I call this one. Here it is from start to finish.
I turned this piece just for fun and to play around with the form. I plan on making some glass-topped tables with a similar form and turned base. It's made from an 8/4 board I found with a batch of curly maple and semi-spalted soft maple. It is in the 24-26 inch wide range. I first glued the waste block on the back and proceeded to turn. I sanded the outer rim as soon as I turned it. One of the photos shows the lathe at 648 RPM. I turned the waste block off with the platter secure to the vacuum check with the tailstock engaged until there was just a spindle left. I use a 12” vacuum check for these large turnings. It holds!

I have no idea what to do with it now. I don’t want to make it a wall piece as both sides are finished.
Finished photos are coming...
Please offer your ideas ,comments and critique!

Thomas Bennett
07-13-2010, 8:26 AM
of the so called "Large art platter" are below.

Tim Rinehart
07-13-2010, 8:41 AM
Thomas,
I like the platter and appreciate seeing the stages of part's development.

Now...I've seen your work before and the 'Model C' lathe...and it makes me think, "Ah, Michigan state colors"...but then you're in Ohio...hmmm, something isn't right.

Great looking platter and I do like the setup you have. I think adding a platform like that would be a great addition without spending a lot of dough.

Jeff Nicol
07-13-2010, 9:17 AM
Tom, Nice looking platter! I have some I need to finish, but the metal work is keeping me busy for a while! I like the subtle spalting in it, but only a $100 bucks for it? Or does that go with it in the sale? No matter a $100 bill always looks good in your hands!

Great piece,

Jeff

Baxter Smith
07-13-2010, 9:27 AM
Don't know what the finish is but it woud be a beautiful fresh cut vegetable tray for a party!

Allen Neighbors
07-13-2010, 9:35 AM
It doesn't matter what the finish is, Baxter. Fill it up and bring it over... we'll eat and speculate! :D
Nice work, TB! Tell me about the lathe... I don't know that I've seen one like yours before...

Bernie Weishapl
07-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Nice work on a good looking platter. Thanks for sharing the process.

David E Keller
07-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Nice work, and thanks for the in-process photos.

I think it could be quite functional with the concentric rings helping to seperate the items on top. Would be great for crudite or appetizers.

Roger Chandler
07-13-2010, 1:01 PM
I like the turning and all, but I'm with Tim when he asks ......

What's up with the Mustard, er, uh, uhmmm, .......blue [:eek:] monster? :D

Not a criticism, but was just wondering what it is all about? Perhaps he couldn't stand the bright yellow glare off that monster and had to decide is was a choice of wearing shades :cool: to turn, or tone it down a bit:D:D:D

Thomas Bennett
07-13-2010, 2:51 PM
Allan, Roger , here's an explanation of the "Model C"
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=85671
As for the color, I'm old fashioned and like the Powermatic green. So why didn't I paint it green? Just ornery!

Thanks to everyone else for looking and commenting

Jonathan Harvey
07-13-2010, 9:12 PM
Beautiful Platter/wall hanging I love the big stuff I only hate the sanding that goes along with it :-)

Looks like a Vicmarc in disguise to me ;-)