PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed

Eduard Nemirovsky
07-13-2010, 6:04 AM
I have a chance to buy Performax 22-44, 1998,first owner. Owner said - he did a two projects with it and lost interest in ww. Sander in about 70 miles from me. I just seen one picture of it. Looks OK.
First question - what will be a reasonable price. He asked $1000. I think to offer first $500 and play from there.
I am not sure even if owner can turn it on to check.
What do I need to check? I am worry that after so many years of not using the tool, I would have a few big surprises:eek::eek:.
Please I have only one day today to decided :mad::mad:

Thank you,
Ed.

Eduard Nemirovsky
07-13-2010, 6:08 AM
Forget to mention - only 2 1/2 " DC port:(:(:(

Robert Reece
07-13-2010, 7:13 AM
If you can't turn it on that will be a problem. You would want to run a board through both ends of the belt and make sure you get the same thickness (within a few thousandths). You'll need dust collection to run it though. Also I am not sure how the '98 models changed belts. I have one from 2007 or 2008 and belt changing is fairly easy. So check that part out.

$1000 seems pretty high. I think I paid $1500 or so for mine new and mine is probably a newer model.

You also have to consider that Jet now offers an oscillating drum sander which is probably a big improvement over the non-oscillating one. $500 might be a reasonable offer.

What's the big hurry?

Gary Muto
07-13-2010, 7:13 AM
I bought mine 2-3 years ago for about $950. It is the open stand model with a 4" port and the sandsmart system that slows the conveyeor down to prevent over feeding the sander. I would guess that $500-700 is more reasonable but they don't come up on the used market often.

Look at the conveyor belt for damage and be sure to check the tracking while it's running. Examine the rollers at the end of the conveyor for: wear on the drive rubber roller, and bushing wear on the front (idler?) roller. Check the drum and bearings for wear and abuse. Crank it up and down to be sure it has smooth operation.
Lastly, I'd run a board through it to see how it works and measure the thickness at teh four corners to see how it performs.

Good Luck

Cliff Holmes
07-13-2010, 8:25 AM
You absolutely need to run it. Replacing either motor would be a big pain (and expense). Call the seller, if you can't run it don't make the trip.

True, you're not supposed to run it without dust collection. But just hooking a shop vac to it should be sufficient to test. Take one with you.

I wouldn't worry overmuch if it sands to different thicknesses on each side, just means the head needs to be adjusted. See http://www.thewoodnerd.com/articles/sanderAlignment.html for a simple, easy method I use.

Check the feed belt to make sure it's tracking straight and in the center-ish. Watch out for a belt that's frayed on one side, that probably means it tracking off to that side and rubbing. It's also adjustable, but just be aware.

A brand-new 22-44 runs about $1500. It'll also have improved performance and safety features (explain how you really, really wish it had the smart belt speed management like the new model). A 12-year old previous model couldn't possibly be worth $1000. If it were absolutely pristine I'd say $750 at most. I think your plan to offer $500 is a good idea.

Eduard Nemirovsky
07-13-2010, 8:46 AM
I am planning to call the owner and discuss possibility to run machine.
reason for a rush - not very often I see drum sander on CL, I want it for a very long time and I have a day off today and very busy next few days after.
I did work all night nonstop:eek::eek:, will sleep for a few hours and after call the owner and drive to see the sander. Will report later today or tomorrow.

Thank you again for an advices.

Ed.

Van Huskey
07-13-2010, 8:52 AM
See it run or don't buy it!

The price is high, that sander went on sale I think it was last month for $999 (as the Jet, Performax is no longer). You can get it for around $1200 pretty regularly if you keep a watch out.

I wouldn't be interested at anything over $600, particularly since it just sold for $1000 new.

Troy Turner
07-13-2010, 9:22 AM
He probably figures $1000 because that's what he paid for it new and didn't use it much. Good idea...but it won't sell. If you're comfortable with $500, then you can play from there. But don't play too much. Won't keep talking about make sure it runs before you buy it, that seems to have been covered :) Don't see why he can't run an extension cord somewhere, unless it's 220. Also, have you tried to find the manual for it online? That way you'll get an idea of the adjustments and what each component is and make sure they're all in place.

Good luck!!!

Warren E. Johnson
07-13-2010, 3:06 PM
I agree that $1000.00 seems high. I purchased a clean ready to go Performax 22-44 for $300 a few months ago. It had a 4" dust port and works well.