PDA

View Full Version : New Toys (er-Tools)

Lloyd Robins
12-04-2004, 1:31 PM
After thinking long and hard and almost getting a Japanese plane, I decided that I would need a sensei (teacher?) to get me started. So I stuck with the tried and known. My new Knight plane (60 deg) came in late yesterday. It is made from bubinga with an IPE sole. It also has weight added. The shavings are Mr. Knight's, but I will be adding my own asap. I also added a couple of other recently obtained tools for size comparison. (Is this okay, Tyler?) The wood in the picture is purple heart. I will be trying to build the trestle planing bench and getting rid of the desk with the solid core door, which has been my bench for sometime now. (it has actually been quite a good bench.) It is rather hard to get 12/4 wood in my area, and of the wood that I could get this seemed that it would work best. The other two were ash and soft maple. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help.

Ralph DaFoe
12-04-2004, 3:32 PM
Loyd, please keep us informed of your progress on the trestle bench. I'm thinking of making this bench also and it would be nice to have someone breaking trail for me. :)

Ted Shrader
12-04-2004, 7:58 PM
Lloyd -
You have some tools there to be proud of. Keep the pictures coming as the trestle bench come along.

Regards,
Ted

Keith Christopher
12-04-2004, 8:05 PM
Lloyd,

Nice looking tools there, gratzo ! As for the bench I am also curious. Isn't is nice when peers wanna see your work ? No pressure now, we're not gonna nit pick it apart. (giggle)

Keith

John Miliunas
12-04-2004, 9:08 PM
Congrats on the new tools, Lloyd! I've been thinking about looking into one of those woodies by Knight, but so many other "firsts" need to come before that. Now, what I'm really interested in is, do you plan on building that bench with HAND tools? :eek: Gadzukes, man! I swear, the next time (if that ever comes!) I have to work Purpleheart, I'm taking a drive down to the quarry and seeing if I can't talk those boys out of some dynamite! :eek: Problem with that is, a couple "caps" would just probably dent the stuff! :D Good luck and I look forward to seeing the progress. :cool:

Tyler Howell
12-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Nice Haul Lloyd!

So much to learn so little time.:cool:

Lloyd Robins
12-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I would like to do it by hand, but there are several tenons that I am not certain how to get done with my current tools. I may have to use the bandsaw. I am trying to figure out how to get the 14" Adria, but I don't think that it is going to happen right now. As I get going, I will post more pics.