PDA

View Full Version : Used moulder knives

keith micinski
07-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Do these ever come up? I just bought and old Folsey/Belsaw moulder and all it had with it were straight knives for planing and joining. I would love to get knives but to be honest with you I don't do enough moulding to justify spending a couple hundred bucks. I am hoping this wasn't a waste of a hundred bucks on this thing especially since it is taking up shop space but I guess we'll see.

Paul Johnstone
07-13-2010, 9:59 AM
Sometimes knives will come up on ebay.

I would think about what you would like to use the machine for. Do you use a lot of crown molding in your projects? Are you going to redo baseboards or something like that?

It might be worthwhile to buy a set of crown molding knives, crank out a lot of crown molding and then sell the molder.

But yea.. if you aren't going to use it much, it might not be worth taking up flooring space to keep it.

Jeff Duncan
07-13-2010, 5:51 PM
I have what seems to be a slightly different perspective on this...I don't want to spend money on a bunch of knives I 'may' have a use for someday. I buy the profile I need when I need it.
I also agree that if you have a machine you don't use and can't see a use for, it's probably worth letting it go to make way for something you can use.
good luck,
JeffD

keith micinski
07-13-2010, 7:10 PM
I just figured if I had some common casing profiles and base moulding profiles I would be happy with that. Luckily I have enough room to hang on to it now so I will keep my eye on any used knives I come across.