PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip over

Bobby McCarley
07-12-2010, 9:43 PM
Well we made it back from the Outer Banks NC trip. Traveled from the SEast tip of the state to the NEast tip of the state and saw all of the lighthouses. It was a very good trip and we learned a lot of history. The lighthouses in the order that we saw them are, Oak Island, Old Baldy, Cape Lookout, Ocracoke, Cape Hatteras, Bodie Island and Currituck Island.

Eduard Nemirovsky
07-13-2010, 6:11 AM
Why lighthouses?:confused::confused::confused:
Are you planning to build one?:D
Nice trip, did you drive?

fred marcuson
07-13-2010, 9:14 AM
wow cool trip !!
thats a lot of traveling to see all those light houses .
what ferry did you take to get to the lookout light house ??

Larry Fox
07-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Very interesting. I fish the OBX a lot and was around when they were moving Hatteras - facinating project. Did you get to climb Hatteras? I was not aware that Bodie was under construction - any idea what they are doing to it?

Bobby McCarley
07-13-2010, 4:48 PM
Thanks for the comments. Camping friends of ours went to see the lighthouses last year and told us about them, so the wife and I figured since she couldn't go the the beaches on the Gulf, we would head East. The complete trip consisted of driving to the southeastern tip of NC, all the way up to the northeastern tip, cut across the Northern border of NC, hit the Blueridge Parkway and driving South to Ashville, then heading back to Louisiana. A lot of driving.

To get to Cape Lookout lighthouse we took a water taxi at one of the local marinas out to the island and he picked us back up in 2 hours. On the way out we saw some of the wild horses that live on the outer islands and got some good pictures, very interesting.

Looked at the book about moving Hatteras, would have loved to seen that. Bodie Lighthouse is being completely redone, outside and inside, and then will be reopened to the public sometime in 2011, I believe. The Cape Lookout Lighthouse was to reopen the week after we were there. Of the ones we saw, Old Baldy, Hatteras, and Currituck were the only ones we got to climb to the top to.

Bobby

fred marcuson
07-13-2010, 8:30 PM
To get to Cape Lookout lighthouse we took a water taxi at one of the local marinas out to the island and he picked us back up in 2 hours we spent a week fishing lookout one fall . nice island :) i heard today they are opening up the lighthouse at lookout to climb . all the repairs are done ..