PDA

View Full Version : No room to splice PVC Pipe?

Russ Filtz
07-12-2010, 7:53 PM
Neighbor needs to replace pool pump, but suction side is WAY tight to the T-fitting coming from the pool. There's maybe 1" or less exposed straight pipe, then a straight coupler, then a supposedly easy screw on fitting to the pump. Apparently someone was real nice and GLUED the screw adapter onto the pump so what literally would have been a pop out-in replacement has become a nightmare.

Any tricks to getting a PVC fitting into a really tight area? I don't want to rebuild the whole suction manifold to ground level (3-pipes & valves, etc.). There's no real room to just cut the tee off either. So it seems like an all or nothing deal.

Chris Harry
07-12-2010, 7:59 PM
Do you need to add a fitting, or just cut existing then put the new pump in the same place?

What size is the existing pipe? If its big enough you might be able to find a smaller diameter pipe to fit *inside* the existing.

Worst case, cut it out and get a Fernco (rubber) coupling to go over the existing PVC. Its not the best solution, but its better than rebuilding the whole mess (or it will at least get them by for this season so it can be rebuilt at a less-critical time)

It seems like whenever Im bored for some reason I have to do pool plumbing at my house. Ive rebuilt the suction side a few times, but the return side only once (so far). Had the pool for 7 yrs.

Von Bickley
07-12-2010, 8:19 PM
Cut it out and get a "Dresser Coupling" for PVC pipe.

Very simple to install....... :D

Jim Koepke
07-13-2010, 1:54 AM
One trick that is helpful for cutting PVC is mason's line. This is "string" of polyester or some synthetic that bricklayers use. Use a piece of scrap wood or whatever on either end as handles, with the string like a U around the pipe, start pulling the string back and forth on the pipe and the heat caused by the friction will cut the pipe. Just do not stop until you are through. If you do it right, you will be though a 4" pipe in no time.

jim

Russ Filtz
07-13-2010, 7:52 AM
Thanks, thought about using an internal pipe (line is only 1.5" I think). Was worried about reducing the internal diameter too much and affecting the pump suction. Probably not a big deal. hard part would be getting a pipe to fit exactly for a good glue job. The Fernco route may be the best bet.

Chris Harry
07-13-2010, 8:05 AM
There were Ferncos in my pool plumbing when I first moved into my house. They arent bad, but if they are close to the ground you might look for one that has a stainless shield on the outside.

It wasnt long before a string trimmer ate part of one of the Ferncos because they were so close to the ground. That resulted in suction side re-plumb #1 :)