PDA

View Full Version : Be careful what you wish for.

johnny means
07-12-2010, 7:25 PM
So, I had to get some repairs done on this. It's a Felder AD751 with Digidrive. Fully automatic planer adjustment, type in a thickness and the table goes there. Seems like a dream, until it breaks.

The last two photos are the parts that malfunctioned. One is a rotary sensor the other is the control panel. Anyone care to guess what these things cost?
Hint, the jointer function worked fine without these and I seriously contemplated just buying a separate 20" planer.

P.S. My machines were problems were in no way indicative of Felder quality and caused by electrical issues in the shop.

Martin Shupe
07-12-2010, 7:43 PM
Since I dream of owning a 741 with Digi drive, I would like to know how much it cost to fix it.

Sounds like a fortune.

Is it single phase?

I can't afford one now, but it is on my dream list.

Jamie Buxton
07-12-2010, 7:56 PM
Somehow repair prices come out the point that you consider just buying a whole new one, but not quite enough that you do it. I dunno what a new AD751 with the digidrive costs -- maybe $10K -- so that repair would be something like $8K.

johnny means
07-12-2010, 9:01 PM
Somehow repair prices come out the point that you consider just buying a whole new one, but not quite enough that you do it. I dunno what a new AD751 with the digidrive costs -- maybe $10K -- so that repair would be something like $8K.

Not nearly that much. I was contemplating buying a more typical planer which can be had in the 2-3K range. The Felder still jointed just fine.

Dan Friedrichs
07-12-2010, 9:20 PM
Wow. That "rotary sensor" is probably a variable resistor that costs ~1 cent (seriously). They added some metal bits, but otherwise...