PDA

View Full Version : Newest entry in "biggest bandsaw" competition

Eric DeSilva
07-12-2010, 1:12 PM
Saw this and immediately thought of all those threads about who has the biggest bandsaw...

http://jalopnik.com/5584840/how-to-salvage-a-sunken-car-freighter

Pat Germain
07-12-2010, 1:30 PM
That looks like the same type of saw used to salvage the Russian submarine Kirsk several years ago.

Jamie Buxton
07-12-2010, 1:58 PM
Wow. Those huge cross-sections through the ship are astonishing.

There's more info at http://www.tricolorsalvage.com/pages/home.asp

Van Huskey
07-14-2010, 1:07 AM
Funny, or not so funny to me, I had an M3 on that ship. Had to wait 5 more months for my special order to be rebuilt and I was lucky at that, total time was over a year. :( I had used the little known BMW Individual order system where they will basically build a car anyway you want, fairly easy in Europe, a pain in the US where you need BMWUSA approval and they hate to approve it for high demand cars like the M3. Even more painful is you can track "your" BMW with VIN number every step of its build and journey even to the point of getting GPS coordinates while it is on the water and I got to see it "stall" and never move again.

neal jack
07-14-2010, 3:58 AM
Funny, or not so funny to me, I had an M3 on that ship. Had to wait 5 more months for my special order to be rebuilt and I was lucky at that, total time was over a year. :( I had used the little known BMW Individual order system where they will basically build a car anyway you want, fairly easy in Europe, a pain in the US where you need BMWUSA approval and they hate to approve it for high demand cars like the M3. Even more painful is you can track "your" BMW with VIN number every step of its build and journey even to the point of getting GPS coordinates while it is on the water and I got to see it "stall" and never move again.
not nice experience, i have to say

Zach England
07-14-2010, 8:47 AM

You could probably go pick it up now.

Pat Germain
07-14-2010, 8:53 AM

Yeah, just apply for a "salvaged" title.

Seriously, Van, that really is a bummer of a story. But you have to admit, it's pretty bizarre and amazing that you were able to see your car "stall" in the Atlantic.

Phil Thien
07-14-2010, 9:05 AM
BMW would have been clever to capitalize on the event by sending those that had ordered the vehicles something. Maybe a BMW emblem in a undersea water globe that said something like, "this was all we were able to salvage...sorry."

Eric DeSilva
07-14-2010, 10:23 AM

Based on some of the pictures, however, it might be a pair of BMW M1.5s.