View Full Version : New SCMS

David Wilson
12-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Morning folks.
Well, last weekend I did it. Purchased on ebay and probibly paid too much but it was cheaper than new. Saw makes unbeliveably clean cuts and miters are dead on. This will replace both my old ras and cms. Wondering how many of ypu use a scms?http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13188&stc=1

Tyler Howell
12-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Hi Dave,

Have the Makita, Love it. It's the most used cutting device in the shop. Still haven't figured out spring miters on crown molding:confused:

Steve Cox
12-04-2004, 12:12 PM
I have the Bosch 12" and really like it. I use it very little in the shop however, it's more of a jobsite tool for me. I have a Jet cabinet saw/sliding table setup that I use almost exclusively in the shop. I need to cut lots of identical pieces for me to pull out the scms.

Dean Baumgartner
12-04-2004, 2:02 PM
I've had a Makita 10" for about 12 years now. Couldn't live without it.

What kind of blade do you have on it? I use the Freud, makes great smooth cuts.

Dean

dale rex
12-04-2004, 10:28 PM
I have a Makita 10" SCMS and love it too. I just bought it last year and wasnt quite sure of its performance until I used it for a few months. I also have a DeWalt 12" CMS and love that too. But as far as overall usefullnes goes the Makita wins because of its crosscut capability( 12") and dado capability(which the DeWalt cannot duplicate). Also, the Makita can cut through a 4 x 4, which not too many 10" saws can do. BTW I know a general contractor that has 5 Hitachi SCMS saws and swears by them. PS, I just put a Freud LU85 blade on the Makita to replace the stock blade,what a difference!

Kelly C. Hanna
12-04-2004, 11:52 PM
I have the Makita 1013 as well. I will trade it for the new 12" Makita though....anyone??? :D:D

Fred Chan
12-05-2004, 2:37 AM
I have a Bosch 10". Are you sure you have the correct blade in that saw? Doesn't look like it has enough teeth to be a mitersaw blade.

David Wilson
12-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Fred
It is the blade that came with the saw. Will have to do some research on different blades.

Byron Trantham
12-06-2004, 12:04 PM
I have the DeWalt 12" slider. It is used a lot. I just finished a ceiling mounted pot rack for my son with crown trim. The slider was used for all cuts. My blade of choice is a Forrest Miter Master.

Jason Roehl
12-06-2004, 12:23 PM
DW708 slider here. I'm actually on my second one (first was ripped off). It does have some slight improvements over the original models, but I haven't gotten to use the new one too much since I got it. Along with the original one, I lost a DeWalt blade (7630?) that was 96T--great cuts, cost about $100, but it was not good for woods like maple or cherry that burn easy--the 80T would have been a better choice. Now I'm not sure what type of "high-quality" blade I'm going to get for the new one.