PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
07-12-2010, 8:26 AM
12 July 2010
Good Morning,

Wow.! I can't believe that I missed posting last week, but then again I can because work, family, and having to rebuild my home pc took most all the entire week. Now I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and I'm really enjoying it. I'm sure I'd like a Mac one day, but then that's more money I don't have.

Chairs are all repaired and delivered back to the customer. Chair repair is tricky and I'm not sure I'd want to do that on a consistent basis, but it was at least challenging and something that I could do here in the house where the A/C is.

I have finished repairing a Tiger Wood table that was built by a customer's grandfather in Peru about 50 years ago. The slides for the table and some of the boards were loose and coming apart. I found that the wood is fairly oily and clogs the sandpaper pretty quickly. Nice table though.

Today, I will be attending a funeral service for a friend of mine. Today is a good day, but it will be sad because Jim Stewart passed away and his service is this morning.

The LOML Jr, my son Joseph and I are going to learn leather crafting. I want to do this for the sake of accenting my furniture pieces as well as decorations and function for my motorcycle. They want to learn and do this to make some extra money...so hey...why not make it a family affair when ya can.!

Last thing and I'll leave you with this....it's time for another trip to Philly for work. I really enjoy doing these disaster recovery exercises (I mean that too). It tests my knowledge under extreme stress and it allows me to update documentation to make it more accurate should someone less experienced "need" to go and do this.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2010, 8:41 AM
Cut and assembled a 40"w x 8'h x 20" cabinet. Now a face frame and doors and I can get rid of the last set of saw horses being used as as table.

That means more open area and then I can order my new jointer.

Matt Meiser
07-12-2010, 9:02 AM
Saturday I cut hay-err--I mean mowed the lawn which went 2 weeks since we were in Minneapolis for a week visiting my brother and his wife until the 5th and then had a busy week when we got back. Half of it is brown but the other half was a lot longer than it appeared. A friend also brought his new Harbor Freight folding trailer down to have me weld a number of the joints which went well other than me hitting the inside of my leg against a hot joint. OUCH! Looks ugly but wasn't too bad and is already healing.

Sunday I redid all the CAT5 wiring in my network closet in preparation for running fiber to the shop later this summer, then spent a couple hours running an air line to the opposite side of the shop from where my existing lines are run. I'm experimenting with PEX for air after a bunch of research--found lots of people who say it can't be done, won't work, etc. and a bunch of people who've actually tried it with good success. I woke up early this morning so I went out for an hour before work and sweated in the tee to the existing copper, connected the new run and pressurized it. So far so good. Worse case, if it fails I'll cut off the fittings and have them for future use in the house, best case its a lot easier to run a PEX line across 30' of 12' high ceiling than copper!

Art Mulder
07-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Sprayed 4 coats of varathane on some spindles for my upstairs hallway.
I do like the Earlex sprayer, it's just so uncomplicated.

Other than that I watched some weird ball game on Sunday afternoon, not much fun there... ;)

Jim Becker
07-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I got the new sub-floor completely installed in the "study room" in the first floor of the 250 year old portion of our home. The wide pumpkin pine flooring that was in there had been sanded way too aggressively by some contractor that the previous owner engaged and was only about 1/2" thick in places...on up to 30" spans...and with no sub-floor. It was an accident waiting to happen. There was also some termite damage and improperly supported joists which I repaired in-process. I will be installing a new wide pumpkin pine floor over the new sub-floor as soon as I gather the funds for the materials.

In the mean time, the next small filler project will be refurbishing some equestrian jump standards that will be used for a friend's daughter's bat mitzvah celebration. This will include stripping and cleaning up the 4x4 supports and rebuilding the gate and flower boxes such that they look good again and will also be suitable for use outdoors once they are returned to the barn where we all ride.

Dennis, let me know privately when you'll be in the area in case there is an opportunity to get together again.

Brian Penning
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Delivered this qtr-sawn white oak rocker to a smiling customer.
Despite the curved surfaces, the ray flecks showed quite well in all the right places.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_eDYZqM9-MJw/TDG8eBSUV4I/AAAAAAAActc/O72t6HX1JbE/s512/IMG_4201.JPG