PDA

View Full Version : double engraving

Cheryl Holmes
07-12-2010, 4:14 AM
Does anyone know the cause of double engraving it not noticable unless you use a magnifying glass but it is there,, I have a universal machine, I just replaced the #3 mirror and tube...The double engraving is just a hair above the original not to the side.....Any suggestions????????thanks

Rodne Gold
07-12-2010, 4:22 AM
Alignment problem or the beam splitting or tickle voltage too high or motion system slop or a loose (or vibrating) optic
Does it only happen on stuff like rowmark gold/silver or on all materials?

Cheryl Holmes
07-12-2010, 5:28 AM
I am engraving acrylic now and anodize bands, it looks like it starts engraving the top of the letters then immediately starts the letter again the graphics on side areas are fine...How would you know if the beam is splitting, and all my optics are fixed.. I did just get a new tube a few months back, and I am not sure when it started because it is really hard to see unless you are looking for under a magnifying glass but I do alot of small graphics and writing so now I am afraid to run anyone parts.......

Cheryl Holmes
07-12-2010, 6:13 AM
I forgot to mention I am using a rotar too.......if that makes any difference..

Mike Null
07-12-2010, 6:21 AM
I agree with Rodney. First check the alignment of your optical system and be sure it is tight. Second, check your bearings and track to be sure they are clean and not worn.

Cheryl Holmes
07-12-2010, 7:12 AM
How do I check the alingment, I have been engraving quite a while an now I feel a little dumb because I do not really know what to do, the bearing were change not to long a go...Do I take the covers off my optics and run something to check this????? My optics are fixed........Any help would be greatly appreciated because Universal helps but they want to charge you a fortune to come out..........Should I try taking the tube and putting it back in.....I crasping at straws I think...........

Rodne Gold
07-12-2010, 7:47 AM
Does your rotary have whats called a shaft encoder - in fact does your laser model have shaft encoder strips etc?
These could have bercome dirtymand masy need cleaning.

Im sure someone with the same laser nearbye could run over some basic stuff over the phone or on the forum before you have to contact Epilog - thus you could cut out a lot of stuff that isnt an issue and get to the core quite quickly
if its a Rotary which sits from left to right , then a tickle voltage issue (the laser is always firing , this is a sort of low grade pre fire to "warm" it up in very simple terms) is most likely the problem , especially with a new tube - Rotary tops of letters are the tables sides of letters and tickle voltage will give a pre image on the L and R sides (top of your rotary engraved item) as the head Scans L to R.
Use the rotary and raster a grid of 1/16" line thickness and inspect that and report back what you see.
As to alignment , well thats not normally so easy and if you not handy and dont have about 5hrs handy the 1st time , then pay tech to do it for you - you can easily gain 20% more effective power , saving you a whole lot of time , like having an extra day in the week for doing jobs
When they do it at your premises , ask em to spend a bit of time with you training you to DIY it.

Dan Hintz
07-12-2010, 7:53 AM
No encoders, including the rotary...

Cheryl Holmes
07-12-2010, 8:02 AM
What do you have to do about this tickle voltage thing??? Service Call I am not sure what you mean about encoded strips, my machine is a universal and the rotar does run from left to right....

Cheryl Holmes
07-12-2010, 8:17 AM
I ran the grid and the horizonal lines are fine and the vertical lines the first two were double I think and rest didn't look double...If I did it the right way...........I just really want to think you guys you have been great...

Mike Null
07-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Cheryl

I may be able to help. My number is listed in my profile.

ULS tech support is free by telephone.

Mike Mackenzie
07-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Cheryl,

It sounds to me like an X Axis belt wear problem. What tube did they send you and what tube was in the system ULM, or UL?. If you changed from the ULM tube to the UL tube you need to set the tickle to 5 and 0. In the system.

I doubt that this is the problem try doing the graphic on a flat plate in a different position on the table. See if the double image still happens.