PDA

View Full Version : can't blame the hound on this one.....

Michael James
07-11-2010, 10:44 PM
There I was minding my own business, scraper in hand and.... ooooops!
Just trying to "do-over" the little mahogany dish my dog got last week.
I guess I'd better start using the calipher hanging on the wall.
What's interesting is that chunk came off a dry board, and it's changed sizes since yesterday's production faux pas.
mj

Gary DeWitt
07-12-2010, 2:19 AM
Dry is a relative term. Also, lots of tension in some wood, just waiting for you to release it by turning some away!

John Keeton
07-12-2010, 7:15 AM
"Do-over" is usually a self-defining term - it means, try this and you will end up doing the whole thing over!!

In my previous life I built furniture, and I have found that nearly all wood moves after being machined. It is no different for turnings, and usually worse as you remove wood disproportionately. When I plane and mill wood for a flatwork project, I try to take it off both sides equally as much as possible. In a woodturning, that is never the case.

Al Wasser
07-12-2010, 10:02 AM
John, I think you have it wrong. You say that NEARLY all wood moves. I think that all wood moves. It continues to move as long as it exists. If we are good craftsmen the wood movement does not show itself. On bowls, I have found that once you start the hollowing process, do not stop until it is done. I have "completed" bowls and then let them set, returned to the lathe and they were so out of round one would have thought they were turned green, but were dry wood.

Robert Arrowood
07-12-2010, 2:27 PM
John, I think you have it wrong. You say that NEARLY all wood moves. I think that all wood moves. It continues to move as long as it exists. If we are good craftsmen the wood movement does not show itself. On bowls, I have found that once you start the hollowing process, do not stop until it is done. I have "completed" bowls and then let them set, returned to the lathe and they were so out of round one would have thought they were turned green, but were dry wood.

Shoot Al I was turning some pine into a bowl and it went wopijawed before I finished.And it was kiln dried and sit in the shop for over a year.

David Woodruff
07-12-2010, 4:01 PM
I thought that was "wapajawed"

Bernie Weishapl
07-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Ditto what Al said.