PDA

View Full Version : Flamed Box Elder

Tom Hamilton
07-11-2010, 9:59 PM
Hi Creekers: I was rummaging thought the wood storage rack the other day and found a Box Elder blank that I'd frankly forgotten about.

It had cracked and checked and had a 1/2 inch gap across the middle. Well rats, I thought, is this think salvageable?

Well, barely, lots of CA and sawdust later her's what showed up:

It's about 8 inches across and 4 high. The flaming is most interesting but the wood was punky and required a lot of TLC (and CA) to get in a presentable state.

The finish is rattle can lacquer, the first I've tried. I didn't like the coverage after a full can so I added several foam brushed coats on top of the sprayed on lacquer. The lacquer dries faster than the homebrew poly I've been using and produces a nice finish. I may be a convert!

In the end Box Elder makes a striking piece and is well worth the effort.

Best regards, Tom, in Georgia

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Tom that is a beauty and the wood is beautiful. Nice save and some great work.

David E Keller
07-11-2010, 10:03 PM
That's a stunning piece of wood and a nice looking turning. Sounds like you are developing a lacquer problem... Apparently that stuff is like crack in that you can get hooked after a single exposure.:eek::D

John Keeton
07-12-2010, 7:26 AM
Well worth the effort!! Nice bowl, and beautiful wood.

Richard Madison
07-12-2010, 8:59 AM
That's a nice one Tom. Amazing colors. Might want to start with some coats of brushing lacquer first. Let cure a couple/three days, wet sand level, and finish with a few coats of spray lacquer. The brushing lacquer definitely saves some $$ on spray cans when you are trying to build a smooth, level finish.

Aaron Wingert
07-12-2010, 9:01 AM
Great piece you did there Tom. Amazing what can occasionally be "found" in the shop when you get enough blanks stacked up! The flame's color is awesome!

As for the laquer soaking in, sometimes a good coat of sanding sealer applied on the lathe of after turning will help minimize that by pre-sealing the grain. Be careful using foam brushes in laquer....They'll eventually dissolve right before your eyes...Learned that the hard way once!

Steve Kubien
07-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Next time you use the rattle can lacquer, put on a couple of coats of sealer first. It will really help with the absorption/coverage of the lacquer. I face the same thing with peppermills.

bob svoboda
07-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Very nice save and well worth the effort. Love the flame.

John Hart
07-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Sounds like you are developing a lacquer problem... Apparently that stuff is like crack in that you can get hooked after a single exposure.:eek::D

Don't listen to this guy Tom. He's just trying to stir up trouble. Go get yourself a case of that stuff and don't worry about it. ;)

Nice piece by the way...For it being in such bad shape, you certainly resurrected it. Great colors!!

Harvey Ghesser
07-12-2010, 12:17 PM
I echo others here! Nice save!