PDA

View Full Version : sign making templates?

Peter Kuhlman
07-11-2010, 9:32 PM
Have the urge to try making some wooden signs - probably using a router to carve the letters. Are there any quality packages with the letters as a kit? Found several on-line in the 25-60$ range but none seem very well made - plastic letters, etc. Any thoughts on this? Is there a better way? Thanks.
Pete

Harry Niemann
07-12-2010, 8:24 PM
Just finished making an 8' sign using a Sears kit. It's a small bracket and clamp that holds a single letter plastic template. Sells for about 40 bucks.
Used a plunge router with guide. You have to be very careful to avoid damage to the template. Plastic templates are good in that if you goof you won't ruin a router bit. Metal templates could be a problem in that respect.

Lee Koepke
07-12-2010, 8:44 PM
i have used a template i got from rockler i think. the set only has one style, two sizes. wish i woulda held out for the one with multiple styles.

its worked OK for the two little signs i did already.

Myk Rian
07-12-2010, 9:41 PM
I have a MilesCraft signmaker kit. It sits in the box after 2 uses.
It's a lot easier and fancier to design a sign with the computer, print it, transfer the design to the sign stock, and freehand routing it.

Peter Kuhlman
07-12-2010, 9:49 PM
For your free hand routing, what type bit are you using? Did it take much practice?
Thanks.
Pete

Myk Rian
07-12-2010, 9:55 PM
I started with a 1/8" straight to outline with. Then 1/4"-1/2" straight bits to hog out the rest. You can also use rounded bits, or whatever you want.
This sign has since been painted with a white background. Practice isn't needed. It comes easily.
You can make them with raised lettering, like I did, or, just rout out the lettering, leaving the rest untouched.

Peter Kuhlman
07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Thank you Myk. Greatly appreciated.