PDA

View Full Version : Universal ULS-25E Problem :(

Alejandro Gonzalez
07-11-2010, 8:17 PM
Hi there!
I purchased a used Universal ULS-25E (made in 1998), it needed some cleaning and replacement of a couple of rollers on the laser head.
It works great, the laser is very strong and i have no problems with the vector and raster in any material.
i took the whole thing apart to clean it and refurbish it to the best possible way.
now the problem, i cant get the lines totally strainght, either on vector or raster, and everything i get engraved looks even but wavy, it looks like the laser is firing fine but i get the problem mostly on the X axis.
I am attaching a couple of examples of the problem.
I want to know if anyone had a similar problem or what can i do to correct this, i got a job due for next saturday and i hope to get this fixed before
Thanks in advance!!!

Alex

the problem is more obvious on the white border

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/skiscem/CCI07112010_00002-1-1.jpg

Alejandro Gonzalez
07-11-2010, 8:18 PM
Here is a larger image
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/skiscem/CCI07112010_00002-1.jpg

AL Ursich
07-11-2010, 8:53 PM
Check to be sure the rollers are not loose.

Did you do a beam alignment from where the laser beam enters the cabinet and check that the beam is hitting the center of each mirror?

The beam might be hitting the side of the inside of the lens housing for part of the cut...

I would do a 4 corner and center engraving check.... place 5 pieces of something and engrave the same in all 5 pieces....

Are there any cables that are getting into the path of the beam as the arms move....?

AL

Alejandro Gonzalez
07-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Check to be sure the rollers are not loose.

Did you do a beam alignment from where the laser beam enters the cabinet and check that the beam is hitting the center of each mirror?

The beam might be hitting the side of the inside of the lens housing for part of the cut...

I would do a 4 corner and center engraving check.... place 5 pieces of something and engrave the same in all 5 pieces....

Are there any cables that are getting into the path of the beam as the arms move....?

AL

Hi Al, thanks for your response, I made sure all the rollers were tight, i even tried loosen them u a bit but made it worse.

I would like to do the Beam alignment, but there is not instructions on the manual to do it, i did the aligment on a Epilog before but we had the manufacturer send us the instructions to do it..
Is there any instructions available anywhere to do it?

..and there is nothing on the way of the path of the engraving head or the rails

Mike Null
07-12-2010, 6:39 AM
If you didn't replace the y axis bearings I suspect that is your problem. Even a dirty track can cause the problem you're having but if you haven't replaced those bearings I would do so immediately.

There is a shaft under the front upper part of the machine. Pull the carriage all the way to the front and check to see that both sides touch the stops at the same time. If not loosen the set screw in the collar on the center of the shaft pull the carriage to the stops and tighten the set screw.

Scott Shepherd
07-12-2010, 8:21 AM
Did you replace the belts too? If not, that could easily be a worn belt issue. Email your photo to Universal Tech Support from their web page and they can tell you what to look for.

Mike Null
07-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Steve.

Right on. I forgot to mention that.

Mike Mackenzie
07-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Alejandro,

The problem is comming from the X Axis bearings and or the idler pulley.

I have the alignment instructions if you send me an e-mail I will forward them to you. they are too big to post here.

service at cemlasers.com