PDA

View Full Version : Hickory Mallet

Nate Davey
07-11-2010, 7:59 PM
Had a small piece of hickory laying around so decided to try a mallet. The piece had been drying for about 5 months so was nice and dry. My stock wasn't very thick to start with, so added a little length to the mallet portion. I've left it unfinished to let the oils from my hands do there best. I used my new Ci1 to rough it out and the Ci3 to finish. Both did very well with the hard wood. While I was turning the gent who owns the lumber yard I get my wood from stopped by. His son, age 13, wants to start turning pens, so I traded him my old Turncrafter Pro VS for in-yard credit. A great day of turning. Also included a pic of the new lathe with some chips on it. Got about halfway done cleaning up and thought I better prove I used it. The shelf on the bottom is partially complete. Had to change the plan a little when I saw Mike Minto had my idea already built. :D Now these hickory shaving and I are going out to the barbecue for discussion on tasty meat.

John Keeton
07-11-2010, 9:05 PM
Nate, sounds like you had an all around great day!! Nice mallet, good trade on the lathe/wood credit, and got a young turner started down the long slide into the vortex!!:D

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2010, 9:41 PM
Nate - nice looking mallet! Great looking lathe! Have fun!

David E Keller
07-11-2010, 9:51 PM
Nice looking lathe you got there. Congrats on the trade for credit as well. Sounds like a pretty good day.

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Sounds like a great day to me.