PDA

View Full Version : Basic question about hollowing tools

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-11-2010, 6:03 PM
I don't own a hollowing tool since I have yet to need one. However, I hope that will change soon, so I am doing a bit of research. My initial goal is not to attempt one of those wonderful wide pieces with a tiny hole, at least not for a while. I am thinking a proper progression of tools beginning with what I need to do simple bowls.
So, I have read a lot of threads and examined the websites of the tools many of you use and it seems the most basic tool is your 1/2" bowl gouge or maybe a conventional grind bowl gouge along with a very thick HHS scraper. Then I see two types of hand held tools made just for hollowing. Many tool makers use a HHS cutter from the metal turning trades while others like Rolly Munro use some sort of a shaped blade. A couple of the latter have a cover over the blade that restricts the depth of cut and appears to act as a bevel. Of course, all video I have seen shows the tool at work on a green bowl. Are they still the tool of choice when working dried wood. Can someone cut through the hype for me? Thanks.
Too much to learn and too anxious to do so.
fmr

David E Keller
07-11-2010, 6:29 PM
There are a lot of hollowing tools available, and everyone I've ever used has worked. I think personal preference is the biggest factor when choosing a hollowing tool. If you have a chance, I'd recommend getting with another turner or a club to test drive a few different kinds of tools. Another option would be to take a course at a local store such as Woodcraft/Rockler.

I'm just geting into hollowing, so take my advice for what it's worth(very little). I'd recommend buying or making a handheld system to begin with if you are interested in hollowing. You can always upgrade to something more sophisticated if the need arises.

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2010, 6:42 PM
Faust - you have asked about tools for a couple of different applications.

For bowls - a lot of folks start out with a 1/2" bowl gouge and a nice thick round nose scraper and then progress from there depending on where their interest in turning takes them.

Hollowing is something that I love to do but - then again - there are lots of different styles of hollowing and some tools work for some and not as well for others. First thing I would suggest is to figure out what it is that you would like to turn - as far as a hollowed turning - then we can suggest a number of hollowing tools that would work for that application.

As an example - to hollow out a lidded box - you can use any number of different hand held hollowing tools - but a captured or articulated hollowing system (while able to do the job) would be overkill!

Think about it and let us know in what direction you want to go and folks here will be able to offer suggestions to fit your requirements.

Thom Sturgill
07-11-2010, 7:17 PM
I would also suggest a progression in style - first open bowls, then bowls with an undercut rim until you are comfortable with the tools and techniques. and getting progressively more undercut making , say lidded boxes where the lid is significantly smaller than the outer diameter. That's about where I would say I am. Also move from wide shallow bowls to deeper, still open topped bowls or vases. Then work on closing that form. As you work from form to form, you will change tools as you reach the limitations on different tools, but you will better understand WHY you need the next type of tool.

Allen Neighbors
07-11-2010, 7:32 PM
Faust, you've opened a can of worms with these questions!
And a bunch of folks on this forum do a lot of hollowing, and there are all sorts of hollowing tools on the market.
I suggest two Websites for you: http://www.aroundthewoods.com will show you a lot about making some tools for hollowing... tools like I made when I first started working on a lathe.
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_latheterms.htm This is one of the best Woodturning information sites I've ever read. There's a lot of information on this site that you probably already know. It will give you some of the different terms used around the lathe, to include the tools and the ways they're used. There are a lot of good pics on this site, to go along with the explanations of how they're used.
Along with the information you get from the other guys on this forum, you'll be passing John Keeton forthwith!! :D hmmm... is that a goal... or what?!?! :D

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-11-2010, 8:35 PM
Alan,
The Hobbit House Glossary answers exactly the question I had and will answer many more. Thanks. I wasn't really asking a "What do you like" or "What is best" question. I wanted to know how the various tools work and this site explains it perfectly.
I may also have figurd out you do not refer to creating the inside space in an open bowl as "Hollowing". That term may be reserved for the items you call Hollow forms. Anyway, thanks again.
fmr