PDA

View Full Version : Inshave or Scorp?

Mark Wyatt
07-11-2010, 5:38 PM
I'm now the proud owner of the item pictured below. This is a recent addition via estate auction (after a citric acid bath). Is it an inshave? Is it a scorp? What's the difference? And what would this particular shaped item be used for? Any resources online for learning about these type of tools?

Also, the maker's mark appears to be "AE HEIMER..." Ring any bells?

The missing handle is undergoing some repairs but will be added back soon.

Thanks!

george wilson
07-11-2010, 6:56 PM
It isn't curved enough to be an inshave. IIRC,a scorp is a fully round blade where the 2 ends come together to go into just 1 handle.

Brent Smith
07-11-2010, 9:22 PM
Looks like a tool I once saw used while shoeing a horse.

Mark Wyatt
07-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Looks like a tool I once saw used while shoeing a horse.

I do run into a lot of horse related items around this area of the country.

Mark Wyatt
07-13-2010, 10:08 PM
I searched and searched for a horse related item which would look like this and I could not find one. I think I'll take it to a MWTCA meeting.

harry strasil
07-13-2010, 11:50 PM
A Scorp has a round bottom, if its a full circle with only one handle its a Closed Scorp.
Due to the flat nature of the blade and the cutting angle it falls into the Shave Category, it could be a gutter shave for cleaning the bottom of a shallow depression.

Jr.

Steve Dallas
07-14-2010, 6:56 AM
I'm now the proud owner of the item pictured below. This is a recent addition via estate auction (after a citric acid bath). Is it an inshave? Is it a scorp? What's the difference? And what would this particular shaped item be used for? Any resources online for learning about these type of tools?

Also, the maker's mark appears to be "AE HEIMER..." Ring any bells?

The missing handle is undergoing some repairs but will be added back soon.

Thanks!

You're the proud owner of a heavily pitted tool with a missing handle that you don't know what is used for.

OK. That ought to provide all sorts of fun, entertainment, and productive use.

Mark Wyatt
07-14-2010, 4:46 PM
You're the proud owner of a heavily pitted tool with a missing handle that you don't know what is used for.

OK. That ought to provide all sorts of fun, entertainment, and productive use.

The missing handle is now re-atached after some repair work. So it's only pitted and unknown. Two out of three ain't bad.

It's one of the "great" things about estate auctions. I only wanted a draw knife but ended up with 3 draw knifes and this guy as part of a lot.

Jim Holman
07-14-2010, 4:54 PM
Two educated guesses. Basket shave or leather splitter. Unfortunately I cannot verify either.