PDA

View Full Version : New Drill Press from Delta

Eddie Darby
07-11-2010, 3:00 PM
It's called 18-900L.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=23828

I like the depth stop on this new Delta model, as it has 2 speed nuts so you can easily lock your shaft in any position for sanding drums.
Also like the 170 RPM slow speed for those big Forstner Bits.

Interesting that the motor does not shift to take the slack out of the belts. Let's hope we get some good tight tolerances on this press, and low noise and vibration.

Grizzly Tools is also suppose to be coming out soon with a new drill press as well.

Dave Lehnert
07-11-2010, 3:25 PM
Any idea how much it will cost?

Ben Davis
07-11-2010, 6:01 PM
They are utilizing a tenson pully to keep the belts tight. It works the same way the belt tensioner on virtually every car does. It ought to work just fine!

Bill Huber
07-11-2010, 7:01 PM

$829.00

http://www.toolorbit.com/Delta/Delta-18-900L.html

george wilson
07-11-2010, 7:44 PM
I do not understand HOW the SPINDLE taper is only a Morse #2,but the CHUCK taper is a #3. I wonder if they got that backwards? It would be useful if the spindle's hole WAS a #3,because you could put fairly large drill bits in it if it were. That low speed would be useful for drilling larger holes in metal.

Callan Campbell
07-11-2010, 8:32 PM
Looks like they want to run more head to head with Powermatics 18" drill press without going to variable speed/reeves drive as a single drive source. Sort of a fancier DP over the previous 17" model. I'm still glad I sought out one of the last 950's laying around in a store. Not that fancy since it doesn't have the laser set-up, but the reeves drive is quiet and works really well. Plus it goes way under Powermatics 400 min RPM level.:cool: And I'm still not sold on keyless chucks for a larger drill press since I hear about the chucks jamming with some heavy duty usage or when you use a larger bit.:(
The t-slot table with its 2 way movement seems like something Delta is happy with for all their higher end drill presses, and they do seem to work better for woodworking applications over the old metalworking designs with little place for clamps and small, round tables. I like mine over the round table that my Jet 17" model had. The casting IS a bit rough on the 20" Delta when you compare it to what my Jet had, but it works fine.
The serpentine belt will be easier to change than an old v-belt pulley, but I'm not sure why they thought the tensioner was really needed over the proven and dead simple level adjustment of most current DPs that take the slack out or loosen the belts with a simple turn of the handle at the side of the head. Seems like one more bearing to keep an eye on.:rolleyes:
I had tried SteeL City's DP at my local Woodcraft when they had a demo unit on the floor, it was the first "mini" serp. belt set-up I'd seen on a DP. The belts were way easier to move around the pulleys than a regular V-belt. I gotta think this Delta will be as easy, if not easier with the tensioner. I'm sure someone will talk to a Delta rep at a show and get the "final" word on why they felt it was needed.
The 3/4HP motor puts it square in the middle like everyone else. Too bad Wood Magazine couldn't get one in time for their current issue with the floor model drill presses that they tested. But they mentioned it at the end of the article and stated one would be checked out in the coming months. They are also quoting Delta saying this DP is due early 2011, is it NOW available for sale, and you don't have to wait until next year?:confused:
However, they're calling it a 18-900C, and not a 900L[typo on their part?]
And they say Delta will also bring a variable speed model out later as well. With these new machines, and Grizzly's much rumoured Variable speed DP in the works, should get interesting around here later this year.:D:D:D

Gene Thayer
07-11-2010, 8:35 PM
Unless the Delta is heavily discounted, that $830 price puts it in the same territory as the Powermatic, which has variable speed lever and digital speed readout.

Bruce Page
07-11-2010, 8:42 PM
6" quill stroke capacity is impressive, that's a full inch more than my milling machine.
Delta might have a winner here, it looks like it has been well thought out.

Van Huskey
07-11-2010, 10:01 PM
I still can't find a new DP with everything I want. The only thing the PM 2800 lacks is low speed. 400 rpm is a wee bit too fast. I am happy with the quill stroke but I wouldn't mind 6". The PM to me seems to be a lot more DP for the money and has a lot of positives over the Delta but again lacks in stroke and low speed capability.

Greg R Bradley
07-11-2010, 11:40 PM
I bought the Powermatic. I was so unhappy that I returned it the next day and brought home the Delta 17-959L. I'm reasonably happy with it. In some ways the Delta is better, in others the Powermatic is better. The laser actually worked really well on the Powermatic.

The biggest issue on the PM2800 was that in order to go to 400 RPM, the cover needed to be removed to let the variable speed handle move that far. I was further shocked when I found that when the indicator showed 400 RPM, my RPM meter showed an actual 480.

Too slow is OK, too fast is not.

Callan Campbell
07-12-2010, 8:58 AM
I bought the Powermatic. I was so unhappy that I returned it the next day and brought home the Delta 17-959L. I'm reasonably happy with it. In some ways the Delta is better, in others the Powermatic is better. The laser actually worked really well on the Powermatic.

The biggest issue on the PM2800 was that in order to go to 400 RPM, the cover needed to be removed to let the variable speed handle move that far. I was further shocked when I found that when the indicator showed 400 RPM, my RPM meter showed an actual 480.

Too slow is OK, too fast is not.
Interesting news Greg, I had not heard of anyone actually measuring the RPM of the spindle, but why not, you'd like to know how accurate your read-out or dial is once in awhile. So does this mean Powermatic needs to add a second electronic readout that adds "ish" to the speed you've selected? 400ish RPM, 1300 about there, 2500 whoa nelly;););)

Callan Campbell
07-12-2010, 9:08 AM
I still can't find a new DP with everything I want. The only thing the PM 2800 lacks is low speed. 400 rpm is a wee bit too fast. I am happy with the quill stroke but I wouldn't mind 6". The PM to me seems to be a lot more DP for the money and has a lot of positives over the Delta but again lacks in stroke and low speed capability.
How about buying a 20-950 and adding a laser to it. It doesn't come with the electronic read-out of the PM 2800, but the round handle of the Reeves Drive works well and is mounted out in front, unlike the side mounted lever of the PM. Plus, it goes slower than the 2800, has 20" versus 18" capacity. You get the 6" quill travel, and my spindle run-out at my chuck is basically nil when compared to how bad my Jet 17" floor DP was.
Not a fancy DP, but it does have the wide, flat table with the built-in T-slots and the dual movement assembly for either axis movement when you need it. 1HP motor to boot. I should have added a "gloat" picture when I picked mine up a few months ago, but never got around to it.
They ARE obsolete though, Delta has dropped them and is moving on to the new models. Hydroflow Equipment in MO may still have one more in stock as they had 2 left when I bought mine, and both are floor models.
I guessed I talked myself into this monster since I missed having a variable speed model from my old days of sheetmetal working in St. Louis. No regrets other than it's a heavy beast to put together, but the head casting is nowhere as heavy as you'd think for its size.:eek:

Van Huskey
07-12-2010, 10:55 AM
How about buying a 20-950 and adding a laser to it. :eek:

One of my big isssues with a "new" DP is actually touching it before I buy that exact DP. Depending on make and model I have been finding 40-60% of new drill presses have unacceptable slop in the quill when fully extended. I have yet to find a make or model that is immune to this.

Now I have the further issue of speed that Greg brought up. A true 400 rpm is faster than I would like BUT it would work for me if the low speed actually ends up 20% higher at 480 that is indeed just too high. I will have to investigate that one further, if it varies from DP to DP then I can just use that as one more criteria along with quill slop when I pick a DP, if it turns out to be across the board for PM2800s than I will continue to look. At least manufacturers are trying to bless us with drill presses aimed for the way we work.

Callan Campbell
07-12-2010, 11:35 AM
One of my big isssues with a "new" DP is actually touching it before I buy that exact DP. Depending on make and model I have been finding 40-60% of new drill presses have unacceptable slop in the quill when fully extended. I have yet to find a make or model that is immune to this.

Now I have the further issue of speed that Greg brought up. A true 400 rpm is faster than I would like BUT it would work for me if the low speed actually ends up 20% higher at 480 that is indeed just too high. I will have to investigate that one further, if it varies from DP to DP then I can just use that as one more criteria along with quill slop when I pick a DP, if it turns out to be across the board for PM2800s than I will continue to look. At least manufacturers are trying to bless us with drill presses aimed for the way we work.
I feel your pain. I first saw my DP at the woodworking show that was in Dec 2009 outside the city. Hydroflow had a booth set-up with several Delta DPs on display. I fell in love with the big 20 incher right there, talked about it with my wife, who was amazed that a DP could excite anyone that much.[sigh, do they NOT understand machinery?] Then, I got home, and talked myself out of it after measuring my basement shop[I'm crazy, I shouldn't do this, my not-so-good Jet 17" DP should just make me happy enough, etc,,] Several weeks went by, I called Hydroflow and bought it! They shipped it up in pieces on a pallet of sorts, it survived the trip and my indecision!.
So, if you're ever in the Chicagoland area this year, feel free to call/PM me and arrange a look-see at my DP. The low speed is way under the PM 2800, and the reeves drive works smoothly too. the only real trouble is that you'll want to buy one, and they're now extinct.:o
I haven't measured quill run-out at full depth, so now I want to go home tonight and measure it at fully retracted and full extended. I'll report back what I find, plus add some pics if I can remember to take them.

glenn bradley
07-12-2010, 1:15 PM
I am still hopeful that manufacturers will hear all these tales of woe regarding DP's and respond. In my hands-on searching I found that there are $500 to < $1000 machines that are about equal in overall quality. This is certainly an area where a "White Knight" sort of machine could become very popular.

I mean, what do we really want?

near invisible runout
150 to 3000 RPM variable speed
a table that tilts left, right, forward and back with tool-less changes
some decent power
a price tag we can live with

That's about it from my viewpoint. Almost anything else can be cheaply bolted on or shop made; a fence, lights, lasers, dust collection, etc.

Van Huskey
07-12-2010, 1:40 PM
I am still hopeful that manufacturers will hear all these tales of woe regarding DP's and respond.

I am as well but not too hopeful. Grizzly may be a panacea for some BUT won't be for me. I absolutely will not order a "hobby" level DP without seeing the actual one in person I am buying. I have checked slop in a number of DPs from a number of manufacturers and none are universally acceptable. Delta, Shop Fox, PM, Jet, Steel City et al were all hit and miss, I have checked well over 50 DPs total. The cloesest to meeting my demands is the PM2800, about 60% seem to be fine so it isn't hard to find a good one, the ONLY issue I have is the 400 RPM min, IF it turns out to be closer to 500 on all of them not just a rouge DP then it is off my list as well. If no one has a DP that meets my desires by the end of the year when I plan to populate my shop then I will just get a cheap new/used DP to hold the space until someone produces one that fits my criteria.

Myk Rian
07-12-2010, 3:30 PM
I do not understand HOW the SPINDLE taper is only a Morse #2,but the CHUCK taper is a #3. I wonder if they got that backwards? It would be useful if the spindle's hole WAS a #3,because you could put fairly large drill bits in it if it were. That low speed would be useful for drilling larger holes in metal.
Morse and Jacobs tapers are different. MT#2 with a JT#3 are common.

Callan Campbell
07-12-2010, 4:52 PM
I am still hopeful that manufacturers will hear all these tales of woe regarding DP's and respond. In my hands-on searching I found that there are $500 to < $1000 machines that are about equal in overall quality. This is certainly an area where a "White Knight" sort of machine could become very popular.

near invisible runout
some decent power
That's about it from my viewpoint. Almost anything else can be cheaply bolted on or shop made; a fence, lights, lasers, dust collection, etc. Yes, yes, anddddd, YES. But, as Van Husky correctly noted, the quality is so hit or miss for several key points, like run-out. MY Delta seems to be WAY tighter than the Jet it replaced, but was the Jet just off a bit, and the Delta is just a bit better than most of its fellow units?
I agree that too many people get hung up on all the add-ons, they ARE nice to have, but quality in all the key areas that a DP needs to have should outway the decision making process for buying one. Not be the determining factor. I'd much rather have to buy a light for a DP that IS square and tight, than to lose that cost point of "better made" during manufacturing so a light or laser unit could be included at the same price.
But I also know how marketing works for lots of things, so we shall keep our fingers crossed with the upcoming new DPs from whomever is bring them out. Meanwhile, Van Husky crosses the globe with his dial indicator and magnetic stand, measuring for all the world to see...;););)

Van Huskey
07-12-2010, 6:12 PM
Meanwhile, Van Husky crosses the globe with his dial indicator and magnetic stand, measuring for all the world to see...;););)

In an attempt at full disclosure it is only East of the Mississippi. I quite hauling my straight edge, feeler guages, dial indicator and stand for a while after 9-11, the TSA was very interested in them because they had no idea what they were. That I understood, being ask to leave a booth at IWF made it clear I wouldn't be buying any of that importers tools!

Alan Schaffter
07-13-2010, 1:23 AM

near invisible runout
some decent power

That's about it from my viewpoint. Almost anything else can be cheaply bolted on or shop made; a fence, lights, lasers, dust collection, etc.

How about a tach and a (counterbalanced) table that is effortless to raise and lower?

I'm not too happy with the runout, don't have a table that tilts on two axis, but I have the power (1.5 hp), speed range (dial in 0 to 3000+ via a VFD), a digital tach (spindle triggered), and a laser (headstock mounted vs column mounted). I'm have a plan for an easy to lift and lock table but haven't done it yet. I like the new Delta's dual speed nut quill stop and may change mine over to that.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/DP-7.JPG

Callan Campbell
07-13-2010, 9:02 AM
In an attempt at full disclosure it is only East of the Mississippi. I quite hauling my straight edge, feeler guages, dial indicator and stand for a while after 9-11, the TSA was very interested in them because they had no idea what they were. That I understood, being ask to leave a booth at IWF made it clear I wouldn't be buying any of that importers tools!
Another Creeker on the no-fly-list!:p:p:p Oh no....Seriously though, this brings back memories of Japanese consumers at appliance stores in the 70s and 80s in Japan, being shown on US TV at evening news. They were notorious for being very close inspectors of the whole machine. Opening doors, checking alignment, closing them over and over to see if any weakness was apparent before they'd even think about buying the thing. If anyone gives us guff about looking over a machine tool before we buy int, we should remind them that things could get way more stringent in terms of the inspection level.
I never made fun of anyone doing that, since the design and manufacturing level should hold up to that sort of scrutiny for just about anything you buy, no matter what side of the sales counter you're on.
It does look out of the ordinary on the sales floor, but no one wants to feel taken after a purchase.:mad:

george wilson
07-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Myk,I am perfectly aware that Jacobs and Mt's are different. That wasn't what I was asking.

The Jacobs taper would be going INTO the chuck,and might be a #33,which is common enough for 1/2" Jacobs chucks. If there is a #2 MT on the shaft COMING OUT of the chuck,and the spindle has a #3 MT hole(which I hope is the case,then there would have to be a #2 to#3 MT sleeve to adapt it to the spindle hole. From the pictures I can see that there MIGHT be an adapter.

Edit: I have been sick with a fever for several days. I misread their info as saying BOTH a #2 and #3 MT were used. Actually,it says that the chuck's taper is #3 Jacobs. Since the common taper for that size chuck is a #33 Jacobs,not a 3,I think they mis printed it anyway.

John Callahan
07-18-2010, 11:27 AM

Fwiw Woodworker's Supply is running a promo on the 18-900L ......... $829.00 and they throw in the new 18-901 Biesemeyer fence for free. The fence alone is $75.99.

Phil Thien
07-18-2010, 4:14 PM
How about a tach and a (counterbalanced) table that is effortless to raise and lower?

Very nice mods, Alan. I'm impressed.

Tony Zaffuto
07-18-2010, 4:37 PM
When tensioning belts, make sure you tension to the manufacturer's specification. Too tight is as bad as too loose, and will cause premature wear, unwanted vibrations, squeaks and squawks!

Alan Schaffter
07-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Very nice mods, Alan. I'm impressed.

I do good work sometimes! :D