PDA

View Full Version : Natural edge bowl and how I held it for finishing the bottom.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-11-2010, 2:57 PM
I turned this Manitoba Maple bowl and when I got ready to mount it to finish turn the foot I thought it might be a good idea to show a simple and easy way of mounting it, so I made a couple of pictures that do show the way I held this one, there are more ways to do this, it is just one way of doing it :)

The bowl is another Acer Negundo turned not very thin and has some polymerized tung oil finish on it, all comments welcome as usual :D

It's 9" X 5½" with a skinny ¼" thick wall.

Cup that can be held in my chuck and padding to prevent damage and give traction at the same time, a cup screwed to a faceplate could be used also

A look on the inside that shows the padding and cup inside the bowl.

A wooden plug that holds the bottom side away from the sharp center point and also gives some added clearance and safety to prevent damage to the center and cutting tool, not as essential if the bottom is still thick.

The finished bowl :)

155520 155521 155522 155523 155525

The software has put the picture here below rather than at the position it was placed by me, :eek: :confused: :)

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2010, 4:03 PM
Like you said Leo more than one way to skin a cat. I use a wooden plug also when I don't want to mess up the bottom with the point.

Fred Perreault
07-11-2010, 4:15 PM
What a beautiful NE bowl. Great looking wood, and a fine finish...

Roger Chandler
07-11-2010, 4:47 PM
Leo,

Your tutorial is very good! The technique is very similar to the Demo that David Ellsworth gave to our local club. Had a jam chuck very similar to the one mounted on your lathe in the first pic, and used foam to cushion and provide grip for turning the NE bowl.

Very nice of you to show this, because not everyone has a vacuum chuck and this is a great way to finish off the bottom. Thanks! :)

David E Keller
07-11-2010, 5:14 PM
Nicely done. You seem to have an endless supply of beautiful box elder.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-11-2010, 5:47 PM
Leo,
Thanks for the lesson. I try to file all these instructional threads where I can get them some day when the need arises. Now how about teaching us "learners" how to turn such a wonderful form.
fmr

John Keeton
07-11-2010, 8:48 PM
Leo, another great bowl!! And, some neat tricks - always good to know how the pros do it!

Leo Van Der Loo
07-12-2010, 3:00 AM
Like you said Leo more than one way to skin a cat. I use a wooden plug also when I don't want to mess up the bottom with the point.

Thanks Bernie :D, yes a vacuum chuck is nicer for the bottom most times I think, as you don't have to work around the tailstock, but I have not made an adaptor for the Delta lathe yet, and this is quick and easy as I do have a couple of cups sitting around, even a new one is made in no time as well :) :cool:

What a beautiful NE bowl. Great looking wood, and a fine finish...

Thanks for commenting Fred, I do appreciate it :D

Leo,

Your tutorial is very good! The technique is very similar to the Demo that David Ellsworth gave to our local club. Had a jam chuck very similar to the one mounted on your lathe in the first pic, and used foam to cushion and provide grip for turning the NE bowl.

Very nice of you to show this, because not everyone has a vacuum chuck and this is a great way to finish off the bottom. Thanks! :)

Thanks Roger :), never seen David in my life, but I do know he does copy other turners ideas readily ;), and uses it to get other turners to use it also :D

Leo Van Der Loo
07-12-2010, 3:20 AM
Nicely done. You seem to have an endless supply of beautiful box elder.

Thanks David :D, not endless David, but yes still got some more, and I better use it before it goes to waste, but yes there's quite a lot of Manitoba Maple growing around here, we find this out every time there's a storm or early snowfall, they are weed trees and Silver Maple isn't much better in that regard, a lot of that around also :)

Leo,
Thanks for the lesson. I try to file all these instructional threads where I can get them some day when the need arises. Now how about teaching us "learners" how to turn such a wonderful form.
fmr

Thanks Faust :), you have to try to use common cense and store some of these ideas in your head, there are many ways to do things, some better or easier or safer than others, use whatever works.
As for how to turn the bowls, I'm not a good teacher :o, and I don't use any system or copy forms, I just start turning and keep looking and removing wood, it is the wood that gives the direction of how to proceed, and then forms just come out for me, guess I'm just lucky :)

Leo, another great bowl!! And, some neat tricks - always good to know how the pros do it!

Thanks John :), yes there are always more ideas and we do learn more of them as we do need ways to do things, always nice if we don't have to re-invent the wheel though :D
Also good to have more than one way to get there, like here were I have not made a adaptor for a vacuum hookup on my little Delta, there's always something else to do it seems, but I rather turn :rolleyes: ;) :)

Oh and no Professional turner here John, I just love turning, and so I do get too many pieces to keep myself, (though we do have quite a few around here ;)) and so we do sell whatever we don't like to keep ourselves :D

Michelle Rich
07-12-2010, 7:20 AM
thanks for sharing your method..pretty bowl

Leo Van Der Loo
07-12-2010, 2:00 PM
thanks for sharing your method..pretty bowl

Thanks for commenting Michelle, Sharing, I think every turner should do this, especially when asked about it ;) :)

David Woodruff
07-12-2010, 4:07 PM
Vacuum chucks work very nice at the final finish. I position the vessel exactly as you show in the photo except it is vacuum mounted and center secured. When the nub needs to be removed, I just carefully back off the tail stock quill, turn off nub and finish sanding in situ.

Added Comment; For a deep bowl I use a spindle extender then screw on the vacuum chuck, piece, thing or whatever Oneway calls them. I'me trying not to get too technical here. Of course it helps if the spindle extender has been center drilled.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-13-2010, 1:48 AM
Vacuum chucks work very nice at the final finish. I position the vessel exactly as you show in the photo except it is vacuum mounted and center secured. When the nub needs to be removed, I just carefully back off the tail stock quill, turn off nub and finish sanding in situ.

Added Comment; For a deep bowl I use a spindle extender then screw on the vacuum chuck, piece, thing or whatever Oneway calls them. I'me trying not to get too technical here. Of course it helps if the spindle extender has been center drilled.

The idea here was to show just a simple and cheap way to finish the bottom of a natural edge turning, will also work if there's some bug holes or bark inclusions, and yes you could use the vacuum chuck for it also, with or without the vacuum pump in this example :D ;) :)

Allen Neighbors
07-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Well done! Thanks, Leo. You always have a good way of doing things... I've never used a plug to keep the point off the bottom... but I will now. :)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-13-2010, 3:56 PM
Well done! Thanks, Leo. You always have a good way of doing things... I've never used a plug to keep the point off the bottom... but I will now. :)

Thank you Allen :D

Sometimes I don't use the plug either Allen, especially if I have enough wood there, but yes I have had to go and sharpen my gouge a time or two as I did hit the center, not good :p :)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-13-2010, 9:17 PM
I turned this Manitoba Maple bowl and when I got ready to mount it to finish turn the foot I thought it might be a good idea to show a simple and easy way of mounting it, so I made a couple of pictures that do show the way I held this one, there are more ways to do this, it is just one way of doing it :)

The bowl is another Acer Negundo turned not very thin and has some polymerized tung oil finish on it, all comments welcome as usual :D

It's 9" X 5½" with a skinny ¼" thick wall.

Cup that can be held in my chuck and padding to prevent damage and give traction at the same time, a cup screwed to a faceplate could be used also

A look on the inside that shows the padding and cup inside the bowl.

A wooden plug that holds the bottom side away from the sharp center point and also gives some added clearance and safety to prevent damage to the center and cutting tool, not as essential if the bottom is still thick.

The finished bowl :)

155520 155521 155522 155523 155525

The software has put the picture here below rather than at the position it was placed by me, :eek: :confused: :)

This was the picture that was supposed to go in the position where I write ("A look on the inside that shows the padding and cup inside the bowl")

So for those that have a question of what it looks, here's the picture in question :)