PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid OSS problem

Cory Hoehn
07-11-2010, 2:12 PM
I just bought one of these off of craigs list. I can't get the belt to track straight. No matter how I adjust it the belt rides up and off of the track.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Cary Falk
07-11-2010, 2:18 PM
Good luck. I have one that won't track either. Some say better belts works. I don't use the belt at all. The spindle works great.

Neil Brooks
07-11-2010, 2:30 PM
Here's (http://www.ridgid.com/CatalogDocs/EM_EB4424_SP6496_eng.pdf) a link to the owner's manual, where you'll find the instructions for adjusting the belt tracking.

Mine worked out just perfectly. So did many others who happily own the machine.

I have to assume that -- if following the instructions doesn't knock the problem out -- it's time to send it in for service.

I actually LOVE the edge-sanding capabilities of mine, and/but DID quickly upgrade to high quality belts, of various grits, from Klingspor....

Good luck !

Joe Scharle
07-11-2010, 3:47 PM
Wipe the rollers down with alcohol; check if the arrow (inside of belt) is pointing in right direction. If you can't see an arrow, try turning the belt over; try new belt. Good luck

Bill Huber
07-11-2010, 4:01 PM
Most new belts will run either direction, if you don't see the arrow it will run in either direction.

With a new belt put the belt on and try and get to to track, it will take a very small turn on the knob to get it to track off. Note the direction that it is tracking, up or down.

If you can not get it to track take the belt off and flip it over and try to get it to track.

If after you turn the belt over it still is tracking the same way then you have a problem with the sander, if it tracks the opposite then you have a bad belt.

The belt is tracking up, flip it over and it still tracks up, problem with the sander.
The belt is tracking up, flip it over and the belt is tracking down, problem with the belt.

I have had no problems with my Ridgid and really love it, it is a great sander and gets used a lot, remember you do not have to turn the know very much to change the tracking.

Cory Hoehn
07-11-2010, 4:49 PM
Thanks for all the help. I bought new belts and tried them with the same result. As I'm watching the belt track up I got to thinking that the knob wasn't staying put. As I tension the belt the knob raises up slightly. I can put downward pressure on the assembly with a screwdriver and turn it on and the belt tracks perfectly. If I let up on the pressure the belt goes flying off the top.

Thoughts on how to keep the assembly down after tensioning the belt?

Thanks!

george wilson
07-11-2010, 4:53 PM
Just hold the screw driver on the knob while you are using the sander.:)

Jim Breen (NY)
07-11-2010, 5:19 PM
I have no clue what they're called, but I think there are "spring shaped" washers under that adjustment screw. Also, mine has a rubber end to adjust, not a screw. I suspect you may have the wrong screw on yours. Check the manual someone posted earlier.

glenn bradley
07-11-2010, 5:35 PM
Lets make sure we are starting from the same place;

The belt mechanism is on and fully seated onto the drive mechanism
The mechanism is secured in place via the rubber coated star-knob-retaining-thingy (that's an industry term)
The belt is slipped on and the lever is shifted over to the "tensioned" position

Now that we're all together, if you still cannot get the belt to stay on even when adjusting the tracking knob counter clockwise, let's do this;

move the tension lever to the 'loose' position
remove the belt
loosen the retaining knob and take the belt mechanism off
lay the mechanism platen down so that you are looking into the open back at the guts (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=131500&d=1257006060)

You will see the threaded part of the tracking knob shaft screwed into the small drum's carriage. Turn the knob one way and then the other and notice that the carriage changes the angle of the front drum. If this is not happening, we need to fix that . . .

Is the threaded shaft or the threaded hole it goes into stripped? Has it been backed out all the way and is not engaging the threads? Some thing else preventing the angle of the drum from changing?

If the angle of the drum is changing, is it smooth and under control? It should move easily but not be loose. That is, the front drum carriage should change along one plane only, tilting if you will, not flopping around. If the carriage is sloppy check the lock nuts that hold it and the associated mechanism under a controlled path. Here's a pic. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=131501&d=1257006060)

After going through all that, let us know what you've found and how its going ;-) Just to show there are always two sides to things; I hardly ever use the drum. I have several each of 6 different grits of belts, change them frequently and have no tracking issues. If the mechanism is in proper working order there should be no problem. Please let us know what you find out. If you are like me, once you have this thing working you will wonder how you got along without it.

Bill Huber
07-11-2010, 5:37 PM
Thanks for all the help. I bought new belts and tried them with the same result. As I'm watching the belt track up I got to thinking that the knob wasn't staying put. As I tension the belt the knob raises up slightly. I can put downward pressure on the assembly with a screwdriver and turn it on and the belt tracks perfectly. If I let up on the pressure the belt goes flying off the top.

Thoughts on how to keep the assembly down after tensioning the belt?

Thanks!

This is what it should have on it to set the tracking.
If the sprint is gone that could be your problem or if the know is not the right one.

If its not a knob and just a screw then I would say you need to order some parts.

825539 - Knob 10-32 x 11/4
820175 - Washer, rubber
2 805549-4 - Washer, standard hardware item
30521 - Spring, Swivel

Steven Hsieh
07-11-2010, 7:32 PM
Cory

Is there anything touching the belt from the inside? That cause mine to happen.

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=131501&d=1257006060)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=131501&d=1257006060

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=131501&d=1257006060)

Cory Hoehn
07-11-2010, 9:56 PM
This is what it should have on it to set the tracking.
If the sprint is gone that could be your problem or if the know is not the right one.

If its not a knob and just a screw then I would say you need to order some parts.

825539 - Knob 10-32 x 11/4
820175 - Washer, rubber
2 805549-4 - Washer, standard hardware item
30521 - Spring, Swivel

You fixed my problem bill! I dontnhave that spring or washer on mine. After looking up the manual and parts list (thanks Neil) I'll get what in need ordered.

My sincere thanks to everyone. You guys rock.