PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Goblet and Ring Pod

gary Zimmel
07-11-2010, 12:27 PM
After cutting the blanks for a couple of 18" and 24" peppermills I had a little chunk of walnut left over.
Decided to give it a try and make a goblet.

And one more little chunk that I made into a ring pod.
My wife Geri already has an order in for these for a few xmas presents for her girlfriends.
The ring holder is 2 1/4" tall.

In hindsight I wish the bead was just a bit smaller.
Hope everyone had some shop time this weekend.

David E Keller
07-11-2010, 1:04 PM
Gary, I think it looks good. The proportions are nice, and walnut is a favorite of mine. Looking forward to seeing the peppermills.

Baxter Smith
07-11-2010, 1:28 PM
Very nice goblet. Will agree with you on the bead. I find details like that seem to grow in size when you turn them vertical. I keep reminding myself of that while turning but it rarely does any good.:)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-11-2010, 1:58 PM
After cutting the blanks for a couple of 18" and 24" peppermills I had a little chunk of walnut left over.
Decided to give it a try and make a goblet.

In hindsight I wish the bead was just a bit smaller.
Hope everyone had some shop time this weekend.

Gary I think it looks pretty good, but if you don't like the size of the bead, what's stopping you from mounting it and return it to a smaller size.
A plug that the cup can fit over with some foam on it so you won't damage the cup, tailstock holding the foot and a bit of careful cutting and it's done :) :D

John Keeton
07-11-2010, 2:25 PM
Gary, that is some really nice walnut! And, I love the finish - what did you use?

On the bead, it could be smaller, but the overall goblet has some mass to it, so it isn't obtrusive at all. Like Leo said, it would be easy enough to ease it down a bit. You could even chuck the base in some soft jaws and friction jamb the goblet on the tailstock.

gary Zimmel
07-11-2010, 2:50 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Leo and John. Good idea on how to take that bead down a bit.
But then again, I may leave well enough alone....
Finish is just mineral oil John.

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2010, 4:06 PM
Both are great looking pieces Gary. I had to laugh when you said leave well enough alone. I did that with a goblet I made for my sister. Well you guessed it. Famous last words remount it and just one final cut to make it look good.:mad:

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2010, 6:08 PM
Nice work on both Gary! Always easy to critique yourself after you have finished the turning! I would let it go and keep it in mind for the next one!

Nice looking ring pod! I am sure these will be a big hit as Christmas presents!

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing what's next!

Mike Golka
07-12-2010, 8:53 AM
Great looking pieces Gary. I love working with walnut and you've done justice to these chunks. I was just down the road from you on Sat. We had our anual EWG "turn and burn" at Rosenthal hall.

Karl Card
07-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Gary,

That goblet looks very nice.

The only thing I wonder is what it would be like with a captive ring on it.

Billy Tallant
07-13-2010, 1:07 AM
Nice looking work. That ring pod is giving me ideas for the wife...