PDA

View Full Version : Dallas area neanderthals

Zahid Naqvi
07-11-2010, 10:16 AM
folks we are relocating to DFW (Plano) around the end of this month. It will take me a while to get a functioning shop going (considering my bench is still in the shape of rough lumber), but I'd still like to hook up with fellow neaders in the region.
Any scheduled events? local guilds? etc would be great help.

Abi Parris
07-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Don't have too much info personally, but you may want to check with the guys at Dowd's Tools. They hold a fairly good sized and well attended tool sale at least a couple times a year and have had some neander oriented classes.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Steve Pippins
07-12-2010, 2:53 PM
Zahid, I would start with the local retail stores. Both Woodcraft and Rockler have stores here. Also, check out Woodworld. All are convenient to Plano.

There used to be a wood workers club here but I have not kept in touch with the organization. Maybe the retailers can put you in contact.

Also, plan a trip over to Canton First Monday in the fall when the weather is cooler. You can always find used hand tools reasonably priced.

Welcome to Plano!

Steve Pippins

David Myers
07-12-2010, 4:47 PM
Please accept an early 'Welcome to North Texas'. The Woodcraft store here has several hand tool classes; Wood World (TI Blvd, just barely north of I635) is an excellent source of lumber but I'm not sure about classes there. I emailed Deneb at LN about a hand tool event here; they're interested but it sounds like they're still in the probative stages of finding a venue.

I'm in the process of finishing my workbench. Maybe when I get the legs attached you can help me flip it over. :)

Ross Canant
07-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Welcome to old tool h*ll. There are very few hand tool folks around these parts. I'm one. Homestead Heritage school in Waco teaches some good hand tool classes. Rockler and Woodcraft are as close to tool stores as you'll find. The First Monday trade days in Canton sometimes have a few old hand tools. There are some good places to buy wood within driving distance. Feel free to drop me a line. My shop is somewhat in transition as well.

Phil Joines
07-12-2010, 11:37 PM
There's the North Texas Woodworker's Association. I don't belong to it, too far, so can't give any feedback.

http://www.ntwa.org/

Zahid Naqvi
07-13-2010, 3:41 PM
thanks guys. I've heard about Dowd's and can't wait to visit them on one of their semi-annual sales, as well as the Homestead Heritage school in Waco. I've been to the woodcraft a couple times when I was visiting Dallas. I'm more interested in meeting other lackeys like myself. I guess once I move I will gradually meet people as times goes on.
David, I'd love to come visit with you one day and get your thoughts on my "still in my head" bench, and of course give you a hand with flipping your bench ;)