PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia bowl large

Thomas Bennett
07-11-2010, 9:34 AM
Here is a big one, fo me at least, made from some sawmill cast-off log ends. I rough turned it last fall. It's about 16 inches accross. Finished with poly and buffed. I made two of them and have 5 or six more blanks.
Like it? Any comments are welcome.

Greg Just
07-11-2010, 9:45 AM
Thomas:

Very nice bowl - love the grain. One suggestion is to make the foot a little smaller or eliminate completely. Looking forward to seeing the other bowls.

Allen Neighbors
07-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Thomas, it's a beautiful bowl. I've got one that looks just like it. My wife won't let it go!
I agree with Greg, somewhat, I think the foot could be just about half as tall, and it would look even better to me. But it's still a beautiful bowl.
You've got more of it? That's great! They'll sell... if your wife will let you... :D

Paul Douglass
07-11-2010, 10:07 AM
I really like that. I guess it is in "the eye of the beholder" or what ever that saying is, but I think that foot is just right for that bowl. Looks like it adds the proper stability for a bowl that size. Goes well with the rim also.

Nice job.

Baxter Smith
07-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Great looking bowl and the wood is wonderful!

Donny Lawson
07-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Very nice looking bowl. I love the Ambrosia Maple.
Donny

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Beautiful bowl! Love the wood and the larger size! Looking forward to seeing the next one! Nice work!

bob svoboda
07-11-2010, 10:56 AM
One of my favorite woods and you really did it justice. Love the bowl.

David E Keller
07-11-2010, 11:13 AM
That's a nice big bowl. I like the shape and rim detail. I'm with Allen on the foot... I like it, but I'd consider making it smaller on one of the upcoming bowls.

Matt Hutchinson
07-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Awesome bowl Thomas!! Talk about a sweet chunk of maple!! Great form and the finish looks to be top notch. Great work!

Hutch

Ron Lynch
07-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Excellent fair curve, like the rim detail, not happy with the foot. Overall A+

John Keeton
07-11-2010, 12:22 PM
I love the form, and the wood is beautiful! I like the foot, and the height of the foot, but I would prefer it to be just a little less broad - about 1/3 the opening of the bowl would work just perfect for me.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-11-2010, 2:02 PM
A beautiful bowl all around, lower the foot and it's even nicer, just IMO ;-))

gary Zimmel
07-11-2010, 3:12 PM
Nice piece of wood and great job making it into a bowl...

James Combs
07-11-2010, 3:22 PM
I really like that. I guess it is in "the eye of the beholder" or what ever that saying is, but I think that foot is just right for that bowl. Looks like it adds the proper stability for a bowl that size. Goes well with the rim also.

Nice job.

I'm with Paul on the foot. I like the whole form. (I don't understand everyone's problem with feet. I see it in almost every time a posted vessel has a foot.:confused: Paul and Thomas it sure looks like we are in a minority:cool:)

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2010, 4:00 PM
Great looking bowl Thomas. Really like the rim treatment.

James you are right. It is different strokes for different folks. My wife absolutely likes a foot on the bowls she keeps. I don't care for a foot on a bowl. She doesn't care for a tiny bottom on a vase as she would prefer a foot on it. Just preference.

skott nielsen
07-11-2010, 4:05 PM
Very nice form, pleasing curve. I would like the rim detail to have more height and the foot IMO detracts substantively from the otherwise lovely bowl.

Richard Madden
07-11-2010, 4:07 PM
I'm with Paul, James and Bernie on this one. I think it's nice as is.

Roger Chandler
07-11-2010, 5:00 PM
I am with James when he said "whats wrong with feet? " However, I think the foot on this bowl is just a little out of proportion and would look better at just a bit less height and maybe just a tad less in diameter.

The rim detail is really good, and the form is flawless, and the grain and streaking of the ambrosia is just stunning.

Great work, and thanks for posting .... all critiques are meant as positive feedback :)

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-11-2010, 5:43 PM
The bowl is beautiful as is the wood. Please tell me, is Ambrosia Maple something that happens to maple or is it the effect of an outside force, like fungus, on hard or soft maple. If it is a specie of it's own, where does it grow?
fmr

Thomas Bennett
07-11-2010, 7:29 PM
The bowl is beautiful as is the wood. Please tell me, is Ambrosia Maple something that happens to maple or is it the effect of an outside force, like fungus, on hard or soft maple. If it is a specie of it's own, where does it grow?
fmr
The Ambrosia pattern is caused by the secretions of an insect. It is fairly common here in Southern Ohio. It is not a species. The wood is soft maple, sometimes called silver maple around here.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm hoping someone will use the bowl as a salad bowl, hence the wide foot. It IS visually too wide, I agree! here is a shot of a companion bowl with a similar foot, no rim about 14 inches accross.

Thanks again!!

Randy Gazda
07-11-2010, 7:56 PM
Nice job, I think the foot looks great. Just my opinion.

Michelle Rich
07-11-2010, 8:12 PM
I like the foot..it's the same thickness as the rim..I think it balances out the bowl.

Tim Rinehart
07-11-2010, 9:11 PM
I like it Thomas. It's a bowl I'd like to pick up and hold.
The rim is nice, the foot is 'Ok', perhaps a touch shorter would be nice, but that may through out proportions with the rim detail. I guess I'm neutral on foot, but like the piece overall. Great job, and super piece of wood.

Richard Madison
07-11-2010, 9:20 PM
Very nice bowl Thomas. Foots are ok sometimes, but consider rounding/radiusing the body into the foot, and rounding the foot into the base. This will make the foot appear less abrupt.

Thomas Bennett
07-12-2010, 8:24 AM
Very nice bowl Thomas. Foots are ok sometimes, but consider rounding/radiusing the body into the foot, and rounding the foot into the base. This will make the foot appear less abrupt.
...on the "rounding over " into the foot. The whole point is to create a sharp, clean definition on the details of the rim and foot. I don't like to sand?blend the details out.
Thanks for looking, though, and I appreciate(but do not agree) the comment.

Richard Madison
07-12-2010, 8:49 AM
Different feet for different folks. That's cool. It would not be much fun if we all had to turn exactly the same stuff.

Tom Storey
07-13-2010, 12:51 AM
I like the foot, but then again I have a fetish, for bowl feet that is.....

Billy Tallant
07-13-2010, 12:57 AM
Great looking bowl.