PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Cooler Wedding Gift

Garrett Ellis
07-11-2010, 2:40 AM
Here is a cooler I recently completed for a couple of aggies that got married - hopefully their kids choose a better school :D;)

The cooler is just a 40 qt igloo cooler with the handles and hinges removed. I would have liked to make the cooler look more integrated with the inside of the box, but I ran out of time and decided it looked good enough as is.

The frame is constructed using mortise and tenon. The 'paneling' is just glued and brad-ed from the inside.

The aTm logo is woodburned into the top using a cheapo kit from home depot.

Wood used is western red cedar with a coat of thompsons water seal.

I will probably end up making a few more for those people that "love it and HAVE to have one!!" :rolleyes:;)

questions/comments welcome...........

lowell holmes
07-11-2010, 8:57 AM
I always thought it interesting the Aggies have their own ATM.

Great looking cooler. My Aggie daughter would approve.

Gene Howe
07-11-2010, 9:19 AM
Cool! Great idea, too.
What are the woods? Finish?

I see you put a bottle opener on the front????
My son tells me Aggies only drink from cans????:D:D

Mark Valsi
07-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Nice job !!

you have given me an idea . . .

harry strasil
07-11-2010, 11:54 AM
FWIW, Garrett, my wife recieved some of her Nebulizer Meds that need to be kept refrigerated in a neat styrofoam cooler by mail, it measures 16.5" long, 13.5" wide, and 11" deep on the outside and is made of 1/5" thick styrofoam.

my new Neanderthal mini cooler. http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132787&highlight=cooler

Bruce Page
07-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Now that's a PARTY COOLER!

Great idea and execution.

Kent A Bathurst
07-11-2010, 1:18 PM
Very nice work. But....it dosen't look big enough to hold very many Bevo steaks for grilling :confused: :confused:

gary Zimmel
07-11-2010, 2:57 PM
That is one sweet cooler Garrett.
Nice job.

Garrett Ellis
07-11-2010, 4:40 PM
Cool! Great idea, too.
What are the woods? Finish?

I see you put a bottle opener on the front????
My son tells me Aggies only drink from cans????:D:D

Oh yeah, sorry. Edited first post - wood is western red cedar with a coat of thompsons water seal

Tom Winship
07-11-2010, 6:16 PM
Great work on a great logo, Garrett. Now if the trademark cops don't get you for infringement, you will be in the clear.

Dave Lehnert
07-11-2010, 6:23 PM
Looks GREAT!

What is the hight? Where is the hardware from?

Have you sold any before? Wonder what kind of price they sell for.

Garrett Ellis
07-11-2010, 6:36 PM
Looks GREAT!

What is the hight? Where is the hardware from?

Have you sold any before? Wonder what kind of price they sell for.

I think it is around 40" tall. Hardware is from all over, which made it a pain to match.

Handles - Home depot, although probably should have gotten bigger ones, this turned out heavier than expected. I warned them to maybe not use the handles if the cooler is full....

Hinges - http://www.wildwesthardware.com/

Bottle opener was from Canton, TX at the trade day. Basically a huge local flea market.

Star was from a local feed supply store in Frisco, TX.

I haven't sold any, and I'm not sure it would be worth it. Cost is around $100-$150 depending on what all you want on it. But I put in many hours to make it...

Here is a website that sells them for a reasonable price considering labor, also these are what I used for my idea:

http://tsocowboycountrycoolers.com/index.htm

Jeff Holoboski
07-12-2010, 11:16 PM
what a great project!.what joinery techniques did you use?.
jeff

Jeff Holoboski
07-13-2010, 3:08 AM
oops,i should have read more closely,i see the joinery techniques in your beginning thread.
jeff

alex grams
07-13-2010, 8:37 AM
WHOOP!

I approve of this project!

Tignor Jeff
07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
I am really digging this project ! I need one of those on my pool deck. One more thing added to the "build list" !!

Jim W. White
07-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Love it! ....would love to learn how you incorporated the drain nozzle to the spickot. ...any chance you could put together a set of drawings for the design section of Sawmill Creek. I'm thinking quite of few of us would love to knock out this project.

Great work.

Jim in Idaho