PDA

View Full Version : Which non woven abrasive pads for CI cleaning?

Jim O'Dell
07-10-2010, 11:10 PM
I see that there are 4 different "grits" of these pads available: coarse, med, fine, extra fine. I need something to help with keeping the cast iron tops in better shape. With all the rain and humidity, I'm getting more and more spots that show up. The paper towels just aren't cutting it, and I really hate using steel wool. Oddly enough my Ridgid saw top seems to be the most immune. I looked at the offerings from Rockler today. Their white is their very fine. Are the colors consistent across the brands? Or does each brand have their own color scheme? TIA! Jim.

Bruce Page
07-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Jim, I’m not sure of the grit correlation but for metal work I find the grey to be my favorite and the red, (a little more course) a close second.
I have used 3M Scotch-Brite and the orange/blue Borg offerings, can’t tell any difference.

Gary Kvasnicka
07-11-2010, 12:10 AM
I use the grey pads for CI top cleaning, never noticed any difference in brands. I spray on wd-40 and scrub, for real stubborn stains (bird poo) bar keepers friend worked amazingly well.

glenn bradley
07-11-2010, 12:28 AM
+1 on gray. I have a little Makita 1/4 sheet sander that I got cheap that I use solely for this purpose

Jim O'Dell
07-11-2010, 9:32 AM
I was thinking the white extra fine, but I'll go to the grey. I even found some rust forming on my Forrest WWII 30 tooth last night when I was in the shop for about an hour. I've got it soaking right now. Thought I had waxed it good, but guess not. Spots are obviously where I have been handling it while trying to set up the saw. Glad the new Infinity blades have a good coating on them!
Thanks for the real world info. I hadn't found any at the Borgs, but honestly haven't looked real hard. What department did you find it in Bruce? Jim.

Jeff Hallam
07-11-2010, 9:48 AM
Jim I use the green pads and I put them under my ROS to clean up CI tops (with WD40 for lube). This saves on arm fatigue and works well.

I don't know what you have for shop setup, but one of the best rust preventions I have is a dehumidifier plugged in 24/7.

Bruce Page
07-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Jim, they are in the paint department.
I bought some of the white and found they are too fine to be practical.

Neil Brooks
07-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't know what you have for shop setup, but one of the best rust preventions I have is a dehumidifier plugged in 24/7.

Always thought this was a GREAT idea, but ... I don't get the impression that many people do it.

If you can plumb the drain into existing drainage ... all the better :)

Jim O'Dell
07-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Yes, a dehumidifier would be very useful. One of these days. Of course a climate controlled shop would be good too. Having an A/C on some would take most of the humidity out. It's just been very wet for the past 2 weeks. Very unusual for us in July to have this much rain. Thanks Bruce. And I was just there getting some washers! :D Jim.