PDA

View Full Version : A couple of HF

David E Keller
07-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Here are a pair of hollowforms for your viewing pleasure. I made finials for both since Keeton is unable to turn at this time.

The first is a piece of redwood burl. I had a heck of a time with the finial for this one. I broke the first two. The surviving finial is paduak dyed with black ink. In retrospect, it's not a good wood for finials because it has large pores, but after killing the first two attempts, I was unwilling to make a fourth. It's about 6 wide by 7 inches tall.
155475 155474

The second is yellow box burl(Australian) with African blackwood. This was initially the finial for the redwood form, but I broke off the end. I changed the shape and stuck it on this one. The yellow box burl is from Isaac Rapelje (Creeker) and was included in a recent order as box filler. I think the finial is too fat, but I'd had enough of finials for one day. It's about 4.5 inches tall and a fat 3 inches wide.
155476 155477

I'm pretty new to hollow forms and finials so any criticism(constructive or otherwise) is greatly appreciated.

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2010, 10:38 PM
David those are beauties. I agree that the second finial is slightly large but overall you did well.

Scott Hackler
07-10-2010, 11:04 PM
David, both forms are very very nice. The first one looks perfect and I wouldn't change a thing. The second one looks really good, bit as you meantioned. ... the finial is too fat. I love the shape of the finial but believe it should be thinned down to about 1/2 the current thickness.
Great job overall.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Here are a pair of hollowforms for your viewing pleasure. I made finials for both since Keeton is unable to turn at this time.

The first is a piece of redwood burl. I had a heck of a time with the finial for this one. I broke the first two. The surviving finial is paduak dyed with black ink. In retrospect, it's not a good wood for finials because it has large pores, but after killing the first two attempts, I was unwilling to make a fourth. It's about 6 wide by 7 inches tall.
155475 155474

The second is yellow box burl(Australian) with African blackwood. This was initially the finial for the redwood form, but I broke off the end. I changed the shape and stuck it on this one. The yellow box burl is from Isaac Rapelje (Creeker) and was included in a recent order as box filler. I think the finial is too fat, but I'd had enough of finials for one day. It's about 4.5 inches tall and a fat 3 inches wide.
155476 155477

I'm pretty new to hollow forms and finials so any criticism(constructive or otherwise) is greatly appreciated.

He David those are very nice HF, and yes that secong finial looks too big, but only when it sits next to the HF, I think it goes really well when it sits on the HF, and yes that's just IMO :) :D

Steve Schlumpf
07-10-2010, 11:39 PM
David - very nice work on both! I like the form and finial on the first one. Looks very balanced!

I really like your second hollow form - with the heavier finial. Reminds me of an upscale perfume bottle! Could the finial be thinner? Sure. Does it work as is? You bet!

Looks like you have a really good grasp on this hollowing stuff! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Curt Fuller
07-11-2010, 12:35 AM
I have to say that I'm not crazy about #2. The size and shape of the finial just don't do much for me. But, #1 is incredibly nice. I love the long flowing finial and it provides a very nice contrast to the shape of the HF. It's a beauty.

Norm Zax
07-11-2010, 3:19 AM
Both are great work! The rewood is wonderful as is. On the Australian one I like the finial but would think its presence suitable only on a darker piece. It distracts from the bowl itself. On walnut or something similar it would be just right!

John Hart
07-11-2010, 6:30 AM
Beautiful work on both David. I like the first one. It has nice flowing lines, the wood is great, and it is a very pleasing piece overall.

The second one...Well...I gotta say..that I immediately wanted it. I absolutely love the finial and I think it compliments the piece perfectly. Yes...it is large....but for this piece, I think its size is what sets it apart from traditional turnings. I don't consider the finial as a distraction...but rather, the reflexive initial focal point....then my eyes move down the piece to the color and form...then I pan back to the overall piece. I think you have a winner there.:)

John Keeton
07-11-2010, 6:43 AM
David, first of all, those are some beautiful turnings. As others have noted, the first one is classically balanced, very well done, and the wood is beautiful.

The second one is out of the ordinary, but I think it works very well. The first thing one sees is the starkly contrasting finial, but I differ from Norm, and like Hart, I think the finial makes this piece. Kind of a departure from the concept of finials - in this piece the finial makes the statement, and pulls out the dark features of the yellow burl, while contrasting beautifullly with the yellow. Great job on this one!! I like the collars as well.

The finish looks very nice on both - more of a mat. What did you use?

Michelle Rich
07-11-2010, 6:45 AM
I think ya dun good. I'm avoiding the hollow form craze, so I have no experience, with which to have an opinion. From the HF's I see posted, I think these are very very interesting. I like 2 the best, as I find the wood very intriguing. If you don't like these finials, why not save them & when you make your next HF, see how they look on that. (I do boxes that way!)

Baxter Smith
07-11-2010, 7:14 AM
I like both of them. I will agree with Leo on number 2 as far as the finial looking great when its on the vessel. Reminds me of one of those little oil candles, only with a black flame!:)

Rob Cunningham
07-11-2010, 9:03 AM
Beautiful forms and wood David.

Harvey Ghesser
07-11-2010, 9:15 AM
I LIKE it!

I really like the HF with the larger finial! Really do. It just fits! And it's my personal taste as well. You can't tell me that Sponge Bob is too square either!

Really beautiful work!

Allen Neighbors
07-11-2010, 10:12 AM
David you are really getting good!!
Now you've given me an unspoken challenge, to get out in that shop this afternoon, and do some HFs and finials!!
Very well done! The collars are perfect, also!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

David E Keller
07-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Both are great work! The rewood is wonderful as is. On the Australian one I like the finial but would think its presence suitable only on a darker piece. It distracts from the bowl itself. On walnut or something similar it would be just right!

That's an interesting observation, Norm. I agree that the finial would be less imposing on a darker form.

Beautiful work on both David. I like the first one. It has nice flowing lines, the wood is great, and it is a very pleasing piece overall.

The second one...Well...I gotta say..that I immediately wanted it. I absolutely love the finial and I think it compliments the piece perfectly. Yes...it is large....but for this piece, I think its size is what sets it apart from traditional turnings. I don't consider the finial as a distraction...but rather, the reflexive initial focal point....then my eyes move down the piece to the color and form...then I pan back to the overall piece. I think you have a winner there.:)

Send me your address, and I'll get it out in the mail to you. If you like it, you can send me something in exchange. If you don't, I hear Australian burls burn really well.:eek:

David, first of all, those are some beautiful turnings. As others have noted, the first one is classically balanced, very well done, and the wood is beautiful.

The second one is out of the ordinary, but I think it works very well. The first thing one sees is the starkly contrasting finial, but I differ from Norm, and like Hart, I think the finial makes this piece. Kind of a departure from the concept of finials - in this piece the finial makes the statement, and pulls out the dark features of the yellow burl, while contrasting beautifullly with the yellow. Great job on this one!! I like the collars as well.

The finish looks very nice on both - more of a mat. What did you use?

They're both finished with two coats of tung oil. No buffing. They are a little shinier than they appear in the pictures.

I think ya dun good. I'm avoiding the hollow form craze, so I have no experience, with which to have an opinion. From the HF's I see posted, I think these are very very interesting. I like 2 the best, as I find the wood very intriguing. If you don't like these finials, why not save them & when you make your next HF, see how they look on that. (I do boxes that way!)

I probably will save any that I manage to turn without breaking if they don't fit the forms I'm working on. The fat finial was actually a recycled finial from the other form, but I broke it and it was too short for the redwood form.

Thanks to all for commenting. I appreciate the critical comments as much or more than the positive ones. I really respect the varying opinions and views of the group here, and this site has definitely helped me to become a better turner.

John Hart
07-11-2010, 6:38 PM
Send me your address, and I'll get it out in the mail to you. If you like it, you can send me something in exchange. If you don't, I hear Australian burls burn really well..

Too generous David....and I mean that. Although...it would look pretty good in the library next to the Keith Burns piece. Hmmmmm. Tempting.....very tempting.

Wally Dickerman
07-11-2010, 7:21 PM
David, I like both of these pieces. The form is good and the finial style fits the first one very well. I agree with you on the second that the finial is too fat, but I think the flame shape really fits the piece. If you haven't glued the finial on, I suggest that you turn a slimmer one to see how you like it. Finials can be tough to get right. I keep several finials on hand so that I can switch then until I get the one that's just right. (hopefully):)

Wally

Thom Sturgill
07-11-2010, 8:56 PM
I like both, but the second one best because it is different. To me the finial reminds me of a flame coming from an oil lamp, but captured in wood.

Mark Burge
07-11-2010, 11:26 PM
David, listen to your muse. You chose a fat finial for the second one for some reason and I think you nailed it. The finial reflects the darkness of the voids in the burl. I think it is a nice way to respond to this different looking wood in the hollow section. Nice job on both btw.