PDA

View Full Version : looking at buying a new Grizzly G0691 table saw

keith micinski
07-10-2010, 8:32 PM
I have a couple of questions. One is the fence that comes with the G0691 adequate? The reason I am asking is because I am possibly going to be selling my 52 inch Unifence with my old contractors saw but I really don't want to do that if I then have to turn around and buy a new fence for the Grizzly. My next question is why would anyone buy the G1023RLX at 1395 instead of the new Polar bear G0691? They look like the same exact saw. The only difference I can tell is that the G0691 comes with a lesson motor and the G1023 doesn't. This motor appears to be an upgrade but I am not sure.

Jim O'Dell
07-10-2010, 8:57 PM
Keith, there are other differences too. The 1023R series has a blade shroud for dust pick up that the 691 does not have. The trunnion mechanism on the 1023R series is totally different than the 691. The 691 is basically the old 1023 with the trunnion adapted for a riving knife. The 1023R is built from the ground up with the riving knife. The Leeson motor, even though built in China, is more efficient than the 1023R motor, if the published specs for the 1023R motor are accurate. The 1023R dust port is either on the back, or on the left side. The 691 port is on the right side, which for most is the side the pipe will be on for hookup. So there are some trade offs between the two. I will tell you that the 691 is a joy to use, and I haven't gotten it tweaked out perfect yet. I don't think you would go wrong with either unit. Jim.

keith micinski
07-10-2010, 9:08 PM
So it sounds like the 1023 is probably worth the extra 145 then. I am looking for better dust collection and it sounds like the trunion is probably a better design on the 1023. From reading though it looks like the 1023 isn't actually available yet and isn't going to be until August. Luckily I am not in any hurry.
This saw is probably going to be with me for a long time to come so with in reason A couple hundred bucks more isn't going to break the bank for me if the saw is actually worth it.

keith micinski
07-10-2010, 9:12 PM
What about the Grizzly fence? I would really like to keep my Unifence and then I could buy the 1023 with the 30 inch fence and it is actually cheaper for me. Maybe I can sell the grizzly fence although I am guessing that won't be easy to do.

Kevin Begos
07-10-2010, 10:24 PM
There are several recent threads about this same choice.
Search and you'll find detailed discussions.

I recently bought the G690 and am very happy. The fence is
very sturdy. No one will know how much better the new 1023 line is
until the saws ship. If you're not in a hurry, just wait and see.
New is sometimes better, but tried and true can be good, too...

keith micinski
07-10-2010, 10:47 PM
I admit either saw will do me just fine I am more interested in peoples opinions on the fence.

Kevin Begos
07-10-2010, 10:55 PM
It does look like the dust collection on the new model is an improvement....
A few months ago I asked a Grizzly tech if there were any major differences in performance between the two fences (690/ new 1023) and he said no.

Jim O'Dell
07-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Keith, if you don't sell your current saw until after you get the new saw, you can play with both fences, pick the one you like, and sell the other one with the old saw. Easier to sell the other saw with a fence too I'd imagine. I've been contemplating buying the long Biese fence rails to put on my 691, and use the fence on both units. Would have to set one up with the fence square to the blade, the square the rails on the second saw so that the fence could be swapped back and forth. But that would be a one time set up. I will say that I like my Biese fence better than the one that came with my 691, but they are minor differences. The 691 fence has been fine. Some have complained about the face not being flat. The right side of mine is pretty wavy, but the left side, the only side I use, is pretty good. Just have to decide if I want to part with 230.00 for a set of rails. Jim.

Van Huskey
07-11-2010, 1:09 AM
Copy of my post from another thread RE 691 vs 1023:

OK pro/con G0691 vs G1023RLX:

1. current price has the the 691 at a $145 advantage
2. weight is essentially the same
3. both require 220v 691 will run on a 20 amp circuit 1023 requires 30 amp
4. The 691 has an Asian Leeson more efficient motor 12.8A vs 18A for the Grizzly Asian motor, the 1023 uses a time tested motor the Leeson is new to the Grizzly line
5. The 1023 uses a more modern Poly V belt that should transmit less vibration than the triple V and be more efficient in power transfer
6. 1023 is listed as taking a 7/8" dado, 691 13/16"
7. 691 4300 rpm vs 4200rpm
8. 691 has a greater max depth of cut 3 1/8" vs 3" at 90*
9. 691 has greater left of blade 12" rip vs 8" 1023 has greater right of blade rip 52" vs 50
10. Table is essentially the same size
11. The fences are different and 690/1 owners have reported poor flatness of the fence on the 690/1 this hasn't been an issue in the past with 1023 versions
12. 691 made in China, Taiwan for the 1023
13. 1023 has a blade shroud for dust collection
14. 1023 has a bigger off switch
15. 691 has RIGHT (fixed after Jim caught my error) side DC port, in the rear for the 1023
16. 1023's "improved" blade guard MAY be better, but it is definately different
17. 1023's general design has been time tested and has always tested well in the bang for buck section of reviews, the 690/1 is doing the same in tests now

Thats the majority of the differences, some are open to debate as to which is better if either and some are just non-issues. I find it hard to understand why Grizzly didn't leave one saw at the bottom and give the other all the pros, instead they have 2 saws in almost the same price point. Assuming the 1023 is a resonable legacy to the 1023s of the past they will both be solid saws, no frills to be sure but the best priced of the no-frills saws as well. If I had to choose I would probably wait for the 1023 dust collection and the Poly V drive are big deals to me.

scott spencer
07-11-2010, 5:02 AM
Keith - I've owned a Commercial Biese, a Vega fence, a Shop Fox Classic, and a Jet Exacta. The Shop Fox Classic is a good copy of the Biese, as is the Exacta. I think the actual Biese and the Exacta have a nicer fit and finish than the SF Classic, but it's certainly a competent fence. The newer Grizzly fences on the G0690 supposedly have some updates.

You can't buy the Grizzly TS without the fence, so if you decide to proceed with the purchase, you can always try it out and see which fence you like best. It shouldn't be too hard to sell either fence, though packing them up to ship could be a task.

keith micinski
07-11-2010, 3:04 PM
I was really hoping to sell my current saw first because I have two other saws already and a 4th table saw seems a bit much. I think what I am going to do is try and find a used fence to put on my contractors saw and sell it with that. Then when the Grizzly comes hopefully find someone that wants to buy that fence from me. I am kind of surprised that I can't buy the saw new from Grizzly without a fence. That seems odd since fences are really almost a separate tool all together and have so many variants and preferences among people.

Van Huskey
07-11-2010, 9:41 PM
I was really hoping to sell my current saw first because I have two other saws already and a 4th table saw seems a bit much. I think what I am going to do is try and find a used fence to put on my contractors saw and sell it with that. Then when the Grizzly comes hopefully find someone that wants to buy that fence from me. I am kind of surprised that I can't buy the saw new from Grizzly without a fence. That seems odd since fences are really almost a separate tool all together and have so many variants and preferences among people.

It has become increasingly hard to buy a table saw without a fence.

Jim O'Dell
07-11-2010, 10:40 PM
The only consistent one I know of is the Saw Stop ICS. Amazon has had some close out Deltas from time to time sans fence, and maybe others have had these. But that seems to be rare.
I've just moved my 691 fence 13+" to the right. Will now have about 68 or so " to the right of the blade. Over kill, not likely to use it, but it's there and it doesn't overly interfere with anything.;) Jim.

Al Brennan
07-12-2010, 6:11 AM
Hi everyone. I've been researching these saws as well. From what the spec sheets say, there are 2 other differences I've never seen mentioned.

1. The rails: 1023rl 46 1/2" - 690 62"
2. The 690 comes with a small extension table, which is probably the reason for the extra rail length.

Edit : Sorry wrong saws. I thought I read 690 not 691. I think I'm ready for a prescription lol.