PDA

View Full Version : Canadian online source for bearings

Jeff Hallam
07-10-2010, 8:08 PM
I need to replace the cutterhead bearings on my jointer.

Call me skeptical, but I just don't trust my local machine shops to have quality brand bearings on hand. Having torn down the jointer, I do not want to do it again in 2 years after some cheap bearings crap out. I would like to walk in with my new, quality bearings and say "Please take off the old ones and put these on". But I cannot find an online Canadian bearing supply. There are tons of great US sites (that don't ship to Canada).

Any other Canucks know a good source?

Jeff

Brian Ross
07-10-2010, 8:33 PM
There has got to be Industrial Supply stores in Kentville that carry an assortment and most of the bearing supply places in London where I live will carry a variety of bearings as it relates to the country of manufacture. I replaced the arbor bearings on my Unisaw. Made in China were $8 for a pair while the Italian made were $13. I paid the $13 but I am not so sure that there is much difference in the quality.

CBS Bearings
145 Adelaide St
London 519 686-2650

I am sure if you called them they would courier them to you. The down side is the courier will probably be about the same as the cost of the bearings. Probably less than gas to drive to Kentville though.

Brian

Jeff Hallam
07-10-2010, 8:53 PM
Thanks Brian, I know country of origin isn't always an indicator of quality but I have been nosing around another forum dedicated to restoring older machines and there is a common theme of "recommended" brand names so I plan on looking for a distributor of those.

Mike Bensema
07-10-2010, 9:20 PM
Check for a Kinecor branch near you, they will carry high quality brands such as SKF and FAG bearings. I would exect they would ship to you, or you could stop into the branch if it is local enough to you.

fRED mCnEILL
07-11-2010, 1:09 AM
Most cities have bearing houses that carry all the reputable brands like Timken etc. The one I use in the Vancouver area is Kayman Industrial Technologies.