PDA

View Full Version : Its orange and ugly!

Jeff Nicol
07-10-2010, 7:52 PM
Well I guess it is a gloat of sorts if you are in the market for a 26" throat antique band saw with a 10" resaw capacity! I got this beast from a buddy so I can cut up turning blanks much easier and it is just cool! For $150.00 it was hard to pass up, but I have to get a motor for it and I have a line on a 5HP 220V off of an air compressor that threw a rod. I will have to see if it will do the trick and since it is "FREE" no matter I will have a motor to play with! Here are the pictures for proof! It needs some TLC and a new paint job but it cuts like crazy.

Don't be envious of all the work I have to do now!!

Jeff

Gary Conklin
07-10-2010, 8:00 PM
Way to cool! Great score!!

Thomas Canfield
07-10-2010, 9:02 PM
That looks like quite a beast. I can see a circle cutting jig platform on it to cut out the bowl blanks. Are you making a base for the motor and saw? You have a little project on your hands. What size and type of blade are you planning on using? That 5 HP motor will handle a fairly hefty (wide) blade, but cutting circular blanks would indicate going with a narrower blade such as the 3/8" 3 TPI Green Wood blade at Highland Hardware.

Karl Card
07-10-2010, 9:26 PM
new tools are nice and I wish I had the money to get some of them but I also feel good when you find a golden oldie hid somewhere and come across it for cheap.

David E Keller
07-10-2010, 9:29 PM
Pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing some action shots of that beast AFTER it's painted. Wow... That is ORANGE!!!:eek:

Allen Neighbors
07-10-2010, 9:30 PM
Jeff, you just don't have time for this... bring it on down here, and I'll take care of all that old junk for you... :D:D

Want to see it finished next weekend... :eek: :)

tom martin
07-10-2010, 9:31 PM
Way to go Jeff! They don't make em like they used to!
Tom

John Keeton
07-10-2010, 9:33 PM
Jeff, with your skills, that thing will be up and running in no time!! And, a much more attractive color I am betting!

Congrats - great find.

Jeff Fagen
07-10-2010, 9:56 PM
Nice find,I'll have to come down and see it.
Guess you wo'nt be needing that ol'Jet thats just in your way now .
I'll take it off your hand for you.:D

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Congrats Jeff. Nice looking saw. Oh well another thing to add to your list.:D

Michael James
07-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Dude, that sonofagun has to be vintage WWI.... I say tune it up and leave the paint - it'll keep the racoons outa your shop!:eek:
mj

Nancy Laird
07-10-2010, 11:06 PM
I Googled "F.E. Satterlee Co." and came across a post on another forum about old machinery. Here's part of it:

The Satterlee Company was established in 1897. Sold machine tools, hand tools and related. Located at 2200 East Franklin in Minneapolis with a branch in Cedar Rapids Iowa and Duluth. Bought out by Bossert and business moved to Plymouth I think? ....Grainger was shutting Boosert down in 1996. Bossert was part of Graingers.

So, your bandsaw is quite old. The man who founded the company died and his son took over in the 30s, but I don't know when Bossert bought it out.

Here's a link to a 1920 photograph of their facility in Minneapolis:

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/Results.cfm?Page=1&Subject=118-120%20Washington%20Avenue%20North,%20Minneapolis.&CFID=3656271&CFTOKEN=

Have fun with that beast. I would imagine it weighs about a ton.

Steve Schlumpf
07-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Congrats Jeff! Looks like it will be a nice refurnish project! Glad to see you have something to do so you don't get in any trouble!

Watch out for your back with that thing!

Jon Lanier
07-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Two words. Powder Coating.

Scarlet and Gray if you need suggestions.

Jeff Nicol
07-11-2010, 6:39 AM
I Googled "F.E. Satterlee Co." and came across a post on another forum about old machinery. Here's part of it:

The Satterlee Company was established in 1897. Sold machine tools, hand tools and related. Located at 2200 East Franklin in Minneapolis with a branch in Cedar Rapids Iowa and Duluth. Bought out by Bossert and business moved to Plymouth I think? ....Grainger was shutting Boosert down in 1996. Bossert was part of Graingers.

So, your bandsaw is quite old. The man who founded the company died and his son took over in the 30s, but I don't know when Bossert bought it out.

Here's a link to a 1920 photograph of their facility in Minneapolis:

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/Results.cfm?Page=1&Subject=118-120%20Washington%20Avenue%20North,%20Minneapolis.&CFID=3656271&CFTOKEN=

Have fun with that beast. I would imagine it weighs about a ton.
Nancy, Thanks for the research! I was nursing a sore back and other things most of the day after I got the beast home! I will do some more looking as time permits!

Thanks again,

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
07-11-2010, 6:52 AM
Good morning all!

Since I have a gallon of PM gold that I use a lot of I think that will be the base color of the beast when I get it done.

David, I definitely have to make a better base for it, the round plate on the bottom is about 20" diameter and almost 2" thick cast iron, it keeps it upright but not very stable. It was bolted to the floor at one time so that kept it from dancing all over the place!

My buddy who I got it from had three different old saws and the other 2 were even bigger than this one! He got them at an auction many years ago for little to nothing. He sold the others a while ago and one was going to be turned into a sawmill. His main use for the saw was for sawing strips to make long bows and recurve bows, and they are beautiful things! But like all of us the lathe has taken over his life and he says turning is the best therapy in the world! In Cathy's post I mentioned he just ordered his 3rd lathe a brother to hers and he is already vibrating waiting for it to get here!

Now if I could only find a lathe like Hutch's I would be on top of the world!

Thanks for all the great comments and I will keep you all posted on its transformation. It will need some new rubber for the wheels some day but for now it is O.K. It came with 3 blades that are 3/4" so I will have to get some thinner ones some day. I think they are about 12' around! Not going to be cheap though.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Matt Ranum
07-11-2010, 7:48 AM
So thats the beast you were telling us about! I may have to make a trip back over there just to play with it. :D

Sure looks in nice shape especially given its age.

Tim Rinehart
07-11-2010, 8:23 AM
Jeff,
Here's my thoughts on that fine piece of iron...
Wipe it down, clean rust from table top, mount motor/belts/blade, wire up, align and tension...go cut wood.

I wouldn't ruin the character of that piece by applying any paint at all...aside from any stabilization for rusty areas...even then....I'd hesitate unless you're looking to have a 'brand new' old machine, it rocks looking like an old faithful tool you've had forever.

Have fun whatever you do...great find!!

Matt Hutchinson
07-11-2010, 8:26 AM
Nice one Jeff! That's a bandsaw similar to what I am hoping to squeeze into my shop someday. Boy, you sure can't beat the price.....awesome deal!!

As for the orange.....whoa. And I thought my hot blue Radial Arm Saw was bad.....

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n389/hyperhutch/RASansTS.jpg?t=1278851038

Have fun restoring that beast!!!

Hutch

Baxter Smith
07-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Its not ugly, its patina. Should be a great saw when its up and running.

Bill Wilcox
07-11-2010, 9:24 PM
WOW Jeff you SUCK LOLOL:D
Please let me know if you ever need any help working on this machine. I would be more than happy spending some time helping you out to get this beast up and running.
I love working on old machines and wish I had one like that to work on.
Let me know,
Bill

Mark Norman
07-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Thats a fine piece of mashinery there Jeff! Made in USA gotta love that. I bet it lasts another 100 years easily.

sand blast it and a coat of paint (Red oxide would be my choice) tune and lube. Take a weekend to get it all dialed in.

Then get to cutting blanks!

Killer deal ya got there!

Mike Svoma
07-12-2010, 3:26 PM
Okay Jeff, when do we start building the new shop to fit that monster in? Nice find.:)

David Woodruff
07-12-2010, 3:58 PM
Ditto what Tom said

Jeff Nicol
07-12-2010, 8:57 PM
Hey all, It looks like the original color was a dark gray, I think whoever had it before my buddy painted it the orange so they could find it in the shop! The gaurds need a little work and the welds on it are pretty bad, and I don't like lumpy welds so they will be cleaned up before I paint it. It may get the original color back on it but first I need to get everything moved around and find a home for it! I had one of those days where everything turned to crap! I kept breaking taps and drill bits and cutting my finger and on and on! Tomorrow will be a better day I hope, I did get the metal on the roof of my lean to on the small shed so I can put all the yard tools so I can move the welding bench out in the little shed. Then there will be room for the big wheel!

I will keep you posted,

Jeff

Michael Short
07-12-2010, 9:01 PM
Great score Jeff !!!! Should have any trouble seeing that saw in the shop. You could always paint on a pumpkin face on the front cover.

ed hoxter
07-12-2010, 9:58 PM
jeff. i had to look at the pictures a couple of times and now i get it. it"s not orange & ugly, it"s ugly orange. that thing should do about 10 blanks a minute. great find ed