PDA

View Full Version : Dogwood desk pens

Kevin Main
07-10-2010, 5:01 PM
A friend of mine had a dogwood tree die and he gave me some of the wood. He told me how all of his children had climbed in this tree growing up, and wanted me to make them each something as a reminder. He will be giving them for Christmas. Your thoughts c & c welcome and encouraged

John Keeton
07-10-2010, 5:07 PM
Kevin, those are really neat - particularly with the pen holders from the dogwood!! If your friend has some space on the bottom to add a note to each one, that would be even better.

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2010, 6:37 PM
Great pens and the holder looks good.

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Cool idea and really nice work! The kids will cherish them!

John Hart
07-11-2010, 7:07 AM
Making things out of a favorite tree is such a worthwhile venture. People get attached to trees because they grow up with them. These mementos mean a lot to the people who touched the tree everyday.

Kevin Main
07-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Thank for the comments. I try my best. I would post more but looking at all your works make me think. I need a lot more practice.

Matt Ranum
07-14-2010, 8:57 PM
Well thats what I always thought too, but hey jump right in and enjoy the neighborhood. Besides its amazing the tips you can pick up from people when you start sharing your projects, issues and problems.

Allen Neighbors
07-14-2010, 9:45 PM
Nice set of pens!! Having those holders from the same tree is a neat idea!!
I love turning Dogwood. Every once in a while, you get a piece that has some pink colorations in it. Great for hand chasing thread, too!
Don't ever worry about posting pics of your work... it doesn't matter how crude or how much of a beginner you are. These guys will help you become a better turner with every piece. :) That's what it's all about... promoting the art and craft of woodturning, and helping each other get better.