PDA

View Full Version : New camera = pics!

scott spencer
12-03-2004, 5:15 PM
My BIL gave me his old digital camera, so.....I'm playing and learning my way around the 21st century. Here's some pics of the last two projects I've done. One is a granite top conference table for the same BIL's office. The other project was a fireplace refacing that was part of our whole bedroom renovation. The table is tiger maple using through mortises and "corbels" for supports. The fireplace is salvaged pine from waterbed frames (resawn on Tom Pritchard's MM16)

Jim Becker
12-03-2004, 5:40 PM
Scott, both are great and the pics look better here than that "other place"!!

BTW, I love the fireplace treatment. In fact, it gives me an idea about how to deal with the fireplace here in my office as the stonework is "inappropriate" for the style of the 250 year old part of the house in which it lives. Thanks!!

Michael Stafford
12-03-2004, 5:49 PM
Scott, the conference table is very handsome, craftsman style influence. I like it.
The mantle is very nice and functional. Good job on both...

Jack Hogoboom
12-03-2004, 6:08 PM
Scott,

Great looking work. If I owned that table, the first thing I'd do is get rid of the granite. The wood alone looks great.

Can you give a little more detail on the fireplace surround? I'm curious about how you mounted it, etc.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

scott spencer
12-03-2004, 6:43 PM
Can you give a little more detail on the fireplace surround? I'm curious about how you mounted it, etc.
Jack

Hi Jack - The tiles went directly over the old brick face and concrete hearth using mortar. The pine front was a fairly snugg fit so I was able to toenail the pine sides to the wall and use construction adhesive to hold it to the sides of the brick face. Then I mounted the bookshelves and fastened them solidly to the wall studs and through the sides to the pine uprights to help hold that firm....probably not the most elegant solution, but that's the fun part of being an amateur!

Ted Shrader
12-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Scott -

The design on the conference table is great. Good lines and functionality. How large is it?

The fireplace surround really warms up the room. Well done.

Ted

Jerry Olexa
12-04-2004, 12:00 AM
Great work. Love the wood portion of table and I bet you like the FP these chilly nights in Rochester! Nice job!!

Mark Singer
12-04-2004, 12:54 AM
Very nice work...nice design ideas!

scott spencer
12-04-2004, 6:42 AM
How large is it?

Thanks Ted...the slab is 3'x8' and the frame is just slightly smaller.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-04-2004, 9:52 AM
Excellent work Scott!

Rob Horton
12-04-2004, 8:53 PM
Scott,

Awesome work! Both projects look great!

Rob