PDA

View Full Version : Where to get air dried lumber

Aaron Hall
07-10-2010, 3:23 PM
I am in the San Antonio area and was wondering if there is anywhere around here that deals in air dried lumber. I am a hand tool guy and would like to try air dried vs kiln dried. Does anyone have any local suggestions or internet resources? Thanks so much!
~Aaron

Dave Schwarzkopf
07-10-2010, 3:58 PM
Besides having a buddy with acreage and needing some mesquite cut down, I haven't a clue, but I'd love to hear the answers you get, (I live off Tezel, just inside the 1604)

Dee Gallo
07-10-2010, 5:17 PM
I get a lot of high quality wood from this guy: (Rich Law) rlaw@cnymail.com

He ships all over the country. I usually get walnut, cherry, bird's eye maple, maple and ash. He will cut it to your specs. Reasonable prices too. I don't know about shipping since he's fairly close and I pick up.

cheers, dee

Tom Winship
07-10-2010, 6:20 PM
Try texaswoodwork.com in Burnet and mgsawmill.com in Huntsville. There is a mesquite mill in Corpus that air dries.

David Keller NC
07-11-2010, 1:47 PM
I am in the San Antonio area and was wondering if there is anywhere around here that deals in air dried lumber. I am a hand tool guy and would like to try air dried vs kiln dried. Does anyone have any local suggestions or internet resources? Thanks so much!
~Aaron

One of the best sources for wood like this is the Woodmizer network - just take a look at their site, and they list guys that have woodmizers that harvest trees for sale as lumber. You might have to do the final drying yourself by stacking & stickering it, but that doesn't usually take too long, and the cost savings is enormous.

Dave Schwarzkopf
07-11-2010, 3:29 PM
I'll have to check that out. I can't afford Woodcraft prices! (well, maybe I could if there weren't so many tools that I HAD TO HAVE).

Aaron Hall
07-12-2010, 5:41 AM
Thanks everyone. Looks like I have a few good places to start hunting. Wasn't able to find a link on the woodmizer site to let me know who's in my area though. Thanks again, and take care!
~Aaron

Ted Jay
07-12-2010, 5:45 AM
Thanks everyone. Looks like I have a few good places to start hunting. Wasn't able to find a link on the woodmizer site to let me know who's in my area though. Thanks again, and take care!
~Aaron

... and one more for ya!
http://www.mesquiteburl.com/
in Georgetown, TX

Ted