PDA

View Full Version : Woodpecker's is Great!

Byron Trantham
12-03-2004, 5:08 PM
I own a PRL (router lifter from Woodpeckers) and I rounded out the nylon socket where you insert the wrench to raise and lower the router! :mad:

I called them hoping I could get a replacement part that I could install rather than having to ship it to them. Well first of all it's replaceable - locally and most important it is FREE! :D Part is on the way. How's that for customer support!

On another issue what type of oil do you guys use for the 32 pitch threaded rods? I am using a sewing machine oil whose main characteristic is it doesn't attract thread dust - read saw dust. It apparently doesn't hold up well. :eek:

Chris Padilla
12-03-2004, 8:05 PM
Byron,

I use a product from my mountain biking days called "White Lightning." Go to any bike shop and pick some up...follow their directions...you'll love it. It isn't perfect, mind you, but I can go 6 months between cleanings on my PRL.

Perhaps there is something better out there? I'm all ears....

Justin Killebrew
01-13-2005, 2:13 PM
Hey Guys,

This is my first time on this site, so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Justin and I work for Woodpeckers. I am not here to sell anything, just here to try to answer any questions ya'll might have. I've demonstrated the Incra and Woopecker tools at The Woodworking Shows for a few years but took this year off to work at the Woodpeckers H.Q. Anyway, let me know if I can help.

This is in response to a question about the lubrication of a Woodpeckers PRL. I have found that 3 in 1 machine oil or something with a similar viscosity is best for the posts. Occaisionally pouring laquer thinner, acetone, or mineral spirits into the lift-screw bearings, inside the carraige is also a good preventative maintenence procedure. This seems to help in breaking up any saw dust, resin, glue, or gunk-in-general that may have collected inside. Going over the threads of the lift screws with a toothbrush and whichever solvent chosen, will clean them off really well.

After a thorough cleaning, rinsing the screws and chain down with WD-40 is also good. I very rarely have to clean mine, maybe once a month with heavy use.

Hope this helps.

Mitchell Garnett
01-13-2005, 2:32 PM
Hi Justin and welcome.

the lift may be the best tool purchase I've made in a long time. I ordered the 16 pitch version but the 32 arrived - rather than complain, I tried it and find that I like the additional control vs. the number of turns to raise/lower the bit.

I've thought about using an airtool to run the router up and down - any thoughts?

Mitchell

Justin Killebrew
01-13-2005, 2:50 PM
That's what we use when we are building them. Obviously be very careful when you come to the exteme ends of the lift screws. You don't want to shoot that router through the plate, that's expensive (ha ha). Also keep it well lubricated if the air tool is going to be your primary means of adjustment.

Jim O'Dell
01-13-2005, 4:35 PM
Hey Guys,

This is my first time on this site, so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Justin and I work for Woodpeckers.
Hope this helps.

Welcome Mitch! You'll find a bunch of really nice guys and gals here at the Creek. And there are also a few company CO's and reps that post here from time to time. Your input will always be welcome! Jim.

Ted Shrader
01-13-2005, 5:40 PM
Hi Justin -

Thanks for jumping in. It is always good to get info straight from the vendor. Lots of other good info here to be had also.

Welcome,
Ted

Ken Garlock
01-13-2005, 6:19 PM
Well Hello, Justin. Glad to see you here in the Creek. Do jump in frequently, if you don't mind all the questions and comments. :) OH yes, when are you up in Cleveland going to get the Browns into the winning column. :confused:

For the Creekers, Justin was my point of contact when I was considering my purchase of the Incra LS fence system, and the PRL. He was/is a pleasure to deal with. With his guidance, I ended up spending a couple weeks pay on the LS fence, router extension, PRL, and extension legs. That is hard to do since I am retired. :rolleyes:

Justin Killebrew
01-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey Ken,

It's nice to put a face with the name. I am in the creek to learn, just as much as I am here to answer any questions I can.

As far as the Browns go, I don't know if there is anything that I can do. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure there is much that anyone can do. Butch Davis leaving, is an excellent start. I'm pretty sure we could have had a better record this past year with a middle school field hockey assistant coach. Nevertheless, I'll look into it.