PDA

View Full Version : Desert SW Form Spalted Holly

Mike Minto
07-10-2010, 5:57 AM
A little different 'pottery' form, again from Spalted Holly. About 4" tall, 7" at it's widest. One coat of water-based poly, two coats of satin wipe-on poly. I didn't want this one to shine, hoping it would look more like a piece of pottery.

Karl Card
07-10-2010, 6:15 AM
Very nice.

Michelle Rich
07-10-2010, 7:14 AM
I have gas lamps in my house(yes, they burn propane!) and your shape is just like the glass shades on my lamps. Very different shape & I like the wood.

John Keeton
07-10-2010, 7:20 AM
Mike, looks like you have an inexhaustible supply of the spalted holly!! Very nice finish on this one. While I like the SW look you have been doing, for some reason I do not care for forms that have a sharp transition to them - though in this case I am sure it is representative of proper form.

You did a great job with it, and I am sure I am in the gross minority on the this one! I do like your "series" work, and it seems you have found your niche.

Mike Minto
07-10-2010, 9:21 AM
Mike, looks like you have an inexhaustible supply of the spalted holly!! Very nice finish on this one. While I like the SW look you have been doing, for some reason I do not care for forms that have a sharp transition to them - though in this case I am sure it is representative of proper form.

You did a great job with it, and I am sure I am in the gross minority on the this one! I do like your "series" work, and it seems you have found your niche.

John, the supply is dwindling, I have to say - wish I had taken more of that big tree a couple of years ago! It was a good foot or more in diameter - really a big holly.

David E Keller
07-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Nice job. I love that wood, and I think it lends itself to the pottery illusion. The form is interesting and works with the pottery theme.

Michael James
07-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Mike,
Nice job and I like the soft finish look. That piece is not my favorite, but I like it. And I suppose I can't love them all the best.:cool:
mj

Wally Dickerman
07-10-2010, 1:30 PM
Nice vessel. I've had very little holly to turn and have never had spalted holly.

Your form, while interesting, doesn't quite hit it as a SW pottery form. Living in Arizona, I've studied ancient SW pottery and I find it interesting that nearly all of it seems to fit within the "golden mean" and the "rule of thirds" dimensions. Just shows that, even though all of the pottery is functional, forms that are pleasing to the eye became the norm. There is a museum in Phoenix called the Heard Museum that has a huge number of pieces that are hundreds of years old.

There are some good books on SW pottery available, but lots of good info is available on the web.

The SW Indian tribes of the SW and northern Mexico each has it's own style of pottery. My favorite is the pottery of Mata Ortiz in Mexico. I have a couple of pieces and would like to have more. The really good pieces are quite expensive, some reaching $5000 and more.

Wally

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2010, 2:03 PM
That is a really nice piece out of some beautiful wood.

charlie knighton
07-10-2010, 3:49 PM
very nice....

Harvey Ghesser
07-10-2010, 6:03 PM
Nice piece of pottery, Mike!

Allen Neighbors
07-10-2010, 9:20 PM
I really do like this piece, Mike. Unique shapes intrigue me, and this wood is really something!!

Thomas Canfield
07-10-2010, 9:21 PM
That is a different shape but delicate looking. I like it. I picked up a piece similar to this but of plain wood for inspiration, but the wood in this piece really sets it off. Did you use a laser in doing the hollowing to get the thin walls?

Mike Minto
07-10-2010, 9:35 PM
That is a different shape but delicate looking. I like it. I picked up a piece similar to this but of plain wood for inspiration, but the wood in this piece really sets it off. Did you use a laser in doing the hollowing to get the thin walls?

Thomas, yes I did. The Jamieson system. Thanks.

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Very interesting form Mike! Beautiful wood and finish! I can see the SW pottery influence but it also has a very contemporary feel to it. That is an interesting mix and like Allen just said - unique shapes are a welcome change.

Nancy Laird
07-11-2010, 1:32 AM
Mike, I really like this piece, and it certainly does "look" Southwest. It is reminiscent of the "horsehair" pottery that has come into vogue in the last few years. In that pottery, the potter makes the vessel and while it is in the kiln, throws handsful of horse tail or mane hair onto the vessel. The heat causes the hair to melt into the glaze, and it becomes a part of the piece. No two pieces will ever be alike, just like no two pieces turned from wood will ever be alike. Very nice interpretation.

Paul Douglass
07-11-2010, 10:27 AM
I really like it and speaking of horse hair, I'd braid some, put a few feathers in the braids and attach it around the rim of that bowl. Maybe braided hemp, or something. Well I would. Nice bowl.

Mike Minto
07-11-2010, 5:05 PM
Lived in Tucson myself, eons ago, after I got out of the Marines.