PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Vase with Crack

Mike Minto
07-10-2010, 5:48 AM
Small cherry vase, about 7" by 3.5" at it's widest. Finished with spray-on lacquer. I partially filled the crack with powdered ebony, then decided to leave it alone.

Karl Card
07-10-2010, 6:16 AM
when you said cherry vase with "crack" i thought oh my dealing drugs eh...

nice crack with that vase...

John Keeton
07-10-2010, 7:28 AM
Mike, filling with ebony is a new one for me - but I bet it would work great if one had enough of it. Expensive filler!

Nice work on the vase, and the cherry sure has a bunch of character to it.

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2010, 9:17 AM
Really a nice looking vase Mike. Like the ebony fill.

Mike Minto
07-10-2010, 9:19 AM
Mike, filling with ebony is a new one for me - but I bet it would work great if one had enough of it. Expensive filler!

Nice work on the vase, and the cherry sure has a bunch of character to it.

John, hey, if you turn with it at all (or Blackwood, for that matter) you have plenty of shavings for filler!

David E Keller
07-10-2010, 10:20 AM
I like the form on this one, and the rim treatment is nice.

I'm not sure about the crack... It makes me want to get out the dremel and see what I could come up with.

John Keeton
07-10-2010, 2:24 PM
John, hey, if you turn with it at all (or Blackwood, for that matter) you have plenty of shavings for filler!Mike, when I turn finials, most all of it goes in the DC pickup, but there is always some that falls on the bench. I will need to start saving that stuff!!

Mike McAfee
07-10-2010, 3:59 PM
Nice work Mike, I think the crack adds to the "look"! I'm gonna have to start saving some of my dark curlies and dust for filler as I think in some cases it REALLY adds to the overall appearance!

MMc

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Nice form! Curious as to why you would only partially fill the crack. Just my opinion - but feel the vase would have more of a completed feel to it if the entire crack was filled.

I like using Ebony as a filler and, like you, saved my shavings after turning a finial. That stuff sure is black!

Mike Minto
07-11-2010, 9:03 AM
Nice form! Curious as to why you would only partially fill the crack. Just my opinion - but feel the vase would have more of a completed feel to it if the entire crack was filled.

I like using Ebony as a filler and, like you, saved my shavings after turning a finial. That stuff sure is black!

Got lazy! :o