PDA

View Full Version : A couple bowls

Curt Fuller
07-10-2010, 12:23 AM
This first bowl is from Norway Maple. It's from a piece that was a 4-way crotch. I thought it would be prettier wood than it is. It's 11" x 3.5" and pretty thick, probably 1/2".

The other one is from Ponderosa pine. Most people don't care for this wood but I'm drawn to it for some reason. It's 12.5" x 5". Both bowls are finish with watco danish oil and beall buffed.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
07-10-2010, 12:35 AM
I like the form of the Ponderosa Pine bowl; I don't know what the black "sharpie-looking" mark is though. Was that an imperfection in the wood? To me it somewhat takes away from the piece as it is distracting to the otherwise uniform grain.

Keep up the good work.

John Hart
07-10-2010, 7:15 AM
I suspect that the Ponderosa was fairly easy to turn Curt? How is it weight-wise?

I like 'em both...the maple is my favorite.....although I really see some mass utilitarian value to the pine. I'd be interested to hear more.

John Keeton
07-10-2010, 7:15 AM
Curt, nice work on both, and I can certainly see the attraction to the quarter sawn Ponderosa pine - really makes an interesting bowl. I particularly like the "layered" look for the rim detail and the bottom of the bowl.

The markings on the pine just seem to add to the character for me - you take the wood as you find it.

bob svoboda
07-10-2010, 8:42 AM
Both are very nice. I like the P. Pine too.

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2010, 9:12 AM
Really nice bowls Curt. I do like the maple.

David E Keller
07-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Both are nice, but I really like the looks of the pine. It seems like a good wood for trying one of the beaded forms shown recently. The pronounced striping would make for an interesting visual on a beaded form.

Steve Schlumpf
07-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Curt - very nice work - as always! Really like the Pine bowl! That grain is amazing and really sets it apart! Did you have any problems with pitch? The few times I have turned Pine - (the local Jack Pine) - I had a heck of a time with sap/pitch and it made a sticky mess everywhere the shavings landed!

Curt Fuller
07-10-2010, 1:23 PM
Thanks everyone!

Jeff, the black marks are actually more blue and they're from a fungus that is common to pine. Sort of a spalting thing.

John, most all the bowls I make are pretty heavy, I just like them that way. This one is no exception. But the pine is a lighter wood than most so it might not be quite as heavy.

Steve, this wood isn't too bad while turning but is messy to sand. The trick I've learned is to wet sand through all the grits using WD40. It sands like a dream that way. I wipe it down with mineral spirits when I'm done and apply the finish. It has kind of a neat feel to it because you can feel all the grain lines just enough to make it interesting.

Thanks again.