PDA

View Full Version : Well, I have delayed asking for prayers, but it's time...

Jim O'Dell
07-09-2010, 10:21 PM
We learned about 2 weeks ago that a mass was found in my wife's right breast from her mammogram. A biopsy shows that it is cancerous. It was caught early, as the size is reported to be under 1cm. Oncologist recommended a lumpectomy based on that information, but ordered a breast MRI that was done yesterday morning. Oncologist called about 7:45pm with bad news. MRI shows some pre cancerous places on the same breast. The good news is that the left breast is clear. So now the recommendation is to do a mastectomy. Of course, we are both a little scared. But we trust that God will empower us to fight this. The prognosis is very good, with chance of recurrence only between 3 and 5% for 10 years.
Please keep Glenna and the team of doctors in your prayers as we find out this next week when this will be performed. I know my friends here will lend any support that you can with prayers and good thoughts. That is all that I hope to happen. Thanks in advance! Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Jim, my friend, my thoughts and prayers go out for your wife, you and her team of doctors.

Steve Schlumpf
07-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Jim - so sorry to hear the news but glad that they found it when they did! Thoughts and prayers sent! Hope all goes well! Keep us in the loop please!

Ron Jones near Indy
07-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Prayers have been and will be said for Glenna, you and her medical team. Mom went through similar things about 5 years ago. Tough few months, but things have been great since. This is scary; it was for us. Keep us posted, we care.

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2010, 10:47 PM
You're both on the list.

Jim, when I went through the big C 18 years ago, my wife was supportive but didn't hover over me. I told her what she needed to know and she didn't pry knowing that I was managing the process.

Be sure to allow her to grieve, feel betrayed, scared. She will need to 'own' this so she can feel the personal nature of the battle and anticipate the victory at the end. Married or not, it's hers. You'll need to share her with the army of care-givers for a while. Don't get angry or resentful that you feel helpless. There are many ways to offer support, but don't tell her you know how she feels. You can't know. Surprise her with something she isn't expecting to break the routine. You may have to shave your head someday, but I hope not.

Jim Rimmer
07-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Prayer said, thoughts are with you. God bless you and LOYL.

Ted Calver
07-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Good thoughts and prayers headed your way.

Sam Layton
07-10-2010, 1:58 AM
Jim, I am so sorry to hear about Glenna. You and Glenna are in my prayers. I pray for God to touch Glenna, and heal her by giving the medical team the necessary knowledge, guidance and direction.

God Bless you and Glenna, Sam

scott spencer
07-10-2010, 4:55 AM
You got it Jim. Glad it was detected early.

Glenn Rutkowski
07-10-2010, 5:07 AM
...our prayers are with you and Glenna...God Bless

Mike Cruz
07-10-2010, 6:14 AM
You've got my thoughts power pulling for your both...whatever that's worth. Keep positive.

John Keeton
07-10-2010, 7:01 AM
Jim, my prayers go out for you, Glenna, and all that are involved in her care. We are often at a loss as to why these things occur in our lives, but above all, keep your faith in the Lord. He will give both of you the strength to deal with this.

Jason Roehl
07-10-2010, 7:31 AM
Prayers offered, Jim. I hope for the best outcomes for both of you in this.

Paul Greathouse
07-10-2010, 7:58 AM
You and Glenna have my prayers Jim. Anything is possible through prayer, our youngest son is a cancer survivor.

Paul Ryan
07-10-2010, 7:59 AM
Jim,

My prayers will go out to your family and team of doctors.

Belinda Barfield
07-10-2010, 9:47 AM
Jim,

I'm right there with the others and will keep both of you in my thoughts. I'm sorry to hear this news but I am thankful that it was caught in time to treat. I won't say I know how Glenna feels, as I was fortunate and a lumpectomy took care of things, but the waiting for test results and pathology reports is very difficult. As Mitchell said, sometimes all you will be able to do is let her know she has your support. Don't be surprised at sudden tears. If I had to guess, I would guess that Glenna is a very strong, determined woman and that will help to get her through the coming months. Please let us know how things go.

Brian Effinger
07-10-2010, 10:00 AM
My thoughts will be with you and your wife, Jim.
I am glad to hear it was caught early, and I hope for a speedy recovery.

Angie Orfanedes
07-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Jim,

Prayers sent up for you and your wife and her medical team. God bless you all.

Angie

Greg Peterson
07-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Words usually fail to convey the full effect of the aid and comfort intended. But may you and Glenna take what comfort you can knowing that you are in my hopes and thoughts.

Bruce Page
07-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Jim, Glenna, you have my thoughts and prayers.

Phil Thien
07-10-2010, 4:56 PM
You'll certainly both be in my thoughts and prayers.

Jim O'Dell
07-10-2010, 6:32 PM
I really appreciate all the thoughts and prayers. I am a believer in the power of prayer.
She will make it through this and will be all right. And I'll be there right at her side. Jim.

Moshe Eshel
07-11-2010, 4:14 AM
It is a hard road - but know that other people went down it before and came out stronger and healthier on the other side - We will be with you along the way.
God bless you all!

Butch Edwards
07-11-2010, 8:35 AM
fight hard, and accept the prayers form your SMC brothers/sisters....
Peace to your family...

Sean Troy
07-11-2010, 8:54 AM
You and your wife are included in our prayers. I'm sure she'll be fine after the procedure. Lot's of great support now a days. Take advantage of it as most women going through this scary time really say they benefit from the support groups whether through their church or other organizations. Husbands benefit also.

Rob Cunningham
07-11-2010, 9:22 AM
Jim, prayers sent for everyone involved.

Dave Ray
07-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Prayers being said for you and your wife, Jim. May God give you both the strength to get thru this.

Brett Hoffman
07-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Jim,

I’m sorry to hear this. We’ll keep you, your wife, and your family in our prayers.

Brett

Rod Sheridan
07-12-2010, 9:03 AM
Jim, glad to hear that this was discovered early.

My thoughts are with you and Glenna.........Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
07-12-2010, 9:48 AM
Thoughts will be there...and catching this now is a good thing.

Tony De Masi
07-12-2010, 9:54 AM
Jim, thoughts and prayers to all involved in this ordeal. But you are correct in that she WILL beat this. I am also a big believer in the power of prayer, been there, and you obviously have a tremendous base of support here on the Creek.

Tony

Prashun Patel
07-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Good luck! Positive thoughts to you.

Brent Ring
07-12-2010, 1:29 PM
Thoughts and Prayers coming your way from Utah!

Leigh Costello
07-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Hang in there Jim and Glenna. Prayers sent.

Van Huskey
07-14-2010, 12:38 AM
My thoughts are with all involved. May the results exceed your expectations.

neal jack
07-14-2010, 3:56 AM
My thoughts are with all involved. May the results exceed your expectations.
hope it is good result

Jon Grider
07-14-2010, 4:45 PM
More prayers sent.

Phyllis Meyer
07-21-2010, 2:09 PM
We have been gone, but want you to know that your family will be in our thoughts and prayers!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Jim O'Dell
07-28-2010, 8:02 PM
Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers everyone. Ken, I did get your PM, thanks!
The operation was long, just shy of 6 hours. They did test 2 lymph nodes in the right side, the only side that showed any problems, that tested positive, so those were all removed on the right side, which is creating some extra discomfort, and therefore recovery time. Original estimate was 2 to 3 nights and shooting for 2. I'm thinking minimum of 3, maybe 4 from what the oncologist said this morning at 6:00 when she was making her rounds. We teased her that she never sleeps, and I not real sure how much she gets. Won't know what the next step is until the biopsy report comes back middle of next week. Will update again when that comes in.
Continued good thoughts and prayers requested for healing, and strength for what ever the next step is. The Navigator that was assigned to Glenna was a huge help yesterday during the surgery. Glenna said Sue sat with her and held her hand until she went in for surgery. They wouldn't let me in during the prep time, or while in recovery.
Time for me to head back to the hospital. Thanks again! Jim.

David Christopher
07-28-2010, 8:14 PM
thoughts and prayers sent

John Mark Lane
07-28-2010, 8:20 PM
Hi Jim,

I don't know you, but I know what you're going through. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer (right breast) in January. We've had two surgeries (lumpectomies), and are in the last stages of chemo now. They removed 32 lymph nodes (it had metastasized). Radiation will follow.

She will be alright, Jim. They've made huge strides in treating breast cancer. It won't be fun, and the effects on her will be permanent and unpleasant. But she will be ok. She will come out on the other side of this and will smile into the future. It's just going to be a little difficult for the next year or so.

The advice the Mitchell gave in post #5 above is so very right. Probably the hardest part of it all, for you (me), is coming to terms with the fact that this is something your wife will deal with on a very personal, very deep level. You can't go there. You just can't. All you can do is give her your love and support, be there, go to every hospital visit, chemo session and radiation session you can, and just be there. My wife has a fantastic support network, and she shares the most personal moments with only a few. PM me if you want, and I can point to some good things that can be done.

I know the last thing anyone really wants to hear about when they're sick is, how someone else was also sick. But in case it might help, here is the link to my blog that I set up to inform our family and friends of the day to day with respect to Pam's cancer. It's not "all" about cancer...but it's all about our life with cancer.

http://just-a-guys-blog.blogspot.com/

Don't hesitate to reach out to me, if there is anything I can do. If nothing else, I know what happens and what to expect. I'm right in the middle of it.

Best to you and your wife,

Mark

Mike Cruz
07-28-2010, 8:51 PM
Jim, while I am incredibly sorry for the circumstances that have befell you, I want to thank you for sharing them with us. It puts things in perspective from time to time. I have been battling a bad case of tennis elbow that I thought I had kicked. Two rounds of steriods and a cortizone shot... but about an hour ago, while moving a water trough (for the horses) I reinjured it. Many choice words were exclaimed. Not so much because of the immediate pain, but because of what I know is to come to recover...just as I had begun to beat it. Picking up a drink, grabbing something off the shelf, steering my truck...it all hurts. BUT, in light of your circumstances, it pales. Not only does it pale, but I should be ashamed of myself for woeing...if that is a word. My head is lifted. As are my spirits. I KNOW I will get better...eventually. I just have to do what I have to do to get there. Again, thanks for sharing and keeping us updated. All the best. I hope recovery goes as smoothly as possible. Hopefully, this too, shall pass.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-28-2010, 8:59 PM
Jim,

My thoughts and prayers to your wife, her medical team and you.

The LOML is a 16 year survivor of a rare and deadly form of cancer.

They have come a long way in the treatment of some cancers. As stated, you can't go there as it's not yours and you aren't a woman. But....in the long run this can just bring you closer. Let her know she's the reason you get up in the morning and the person you hold dearest to your heart. Support her when she needs it.....let her know you are there if she needs you as she battles this.

Good luck my friend!

Sam Layton
07-29-2010, 12:56 AM
God Bless, Sam

Barry Nelson
07-29-2010, 1:57 AM
My wife had a mastectomy 5 years ago now,had a great support group around her which helped immensely,full recovery is long 3-4 weeks but with a little bit of help from your friends.who knows, best wishes for a speedy recovery to your better half .Tell her to join asupport group when she has recovered,lifted my wifes spirits no end and is a continuing association,great group of people.:)

Dennis Peacock
07-29-2010, 2:27 AM
Prayers for you and your wife Jim.!!!

Prayers for all of the wives. I just happen to hate cancer.!!!!

Rick Potter
07-29-2010, 2:51 AM
Jim,

Our prayers are with her, and also you. Hang in there.

Rick Potter

Lori Kleinberg
08-04-2010, 4:23 PM
Sorry Jim that I haven't been hanging around SMC lately, so just read your post. I am truly sorry for the hand you and your wife have been dealt. My prayers go out to you both and everyone involved for a speedy and complete recovery.

Jim O'Dell
08-04-2010, 8:08 PM
Thanks again everyone! Lori, prayers work early or late...He doesn't care!!!
Had the check up with the Oncologist today. As reported above, there were 2 lymph nodes that were checked during surgery that tested positive. They removed 17 more from the right side. Pathology shows all 17 are clear!!! WOO HOO!!!! No radiation, but will probably have to do some sort of Chemo. The breast Oncologist, that is all she does, will hand her over to another Oncologist that specializes in the further treatments and defer to her as to what course is best from here on out. The appt should be in the next 2 to 3 weeks, but treatment won't start, if needed, for another 5 or 6 weeks.
So a big load off our shoulders, but we understand that we aren't over the crest of the hill just yet.
Continued thanks for prayers and good thoughts. They really are appreciated! Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2010, 8:47 PM
Congrats Jim!

Both of you hang tough!

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2010, 9:34 PM
Thanks for sharing the good news Jim! Hope everything continues to progress well!

Don Jarvie
08-04-2010, 9:35 PM
Thats great news Jim!

Rick Markham
08-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Jim, you, your wife, and your family will be in my prayers!!!

Gene Waara
08-04-2010, 10:18 PM
You will be in my prayers, Jim. LOML had BC surgery 5 years ago. Lumpectomy with a follow up surgery a few weeks later because they did not have clear margin. 6 weeks of radiation and clear for 5 years. June check-up showed a couple areas of concern. Biopsy confirmed a malignancy. Since this is a reoccurance, she will have a mastectomy on August 12. Good news is that it is in situ, or contained in the duct, is considered stage 0 and is very likely non-invasive. I know what you are going through. MAKE SURE SHE IS DILLIGENT IN HER REGULAR FOLLOW UP'S. Early detection is all so important.

ALL - Please make sure your wives have regular exams!

Jim O'Dell
08-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks all. And Gene, you and your wife will be in our prayers. Glenna's was ductile also. Main spot was 1.5 cm at surgery, there was a "satellite" tumor that hadn't shown up on mammogram or breast MRI. So make sure they look at the lymph nodes when they are in there! Jim.

Bill Huber
08-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Thanks again everyone! Lori, prayers work early or late...He doesn't care!!!
Had the check up with the Oncologist today. As reported above, there were 2 lymph nodes that were checked during surgery that tested positive. They removed 17 more from the right side. Pathology shows all 17 are clear!!! WOO HOO!!!! No radiation, but will probably have to do some sort of Chemo. The breast Oncologist, that is all she does, will hand her over to another Oncologist that specializes in the further treatments and defer to her as to what course is best from here on out. The appt should be in the next 2 to 3 weeks, but treatment won't start, if needed, for another 5 or 6 weeks.
So a big load off our shoulders, but we understand that we aren't over the crest of the hill just yet.
Continued thanks for prayers and good thoughts. They really are appreciated! Jim.

WOW, that is great news.....