PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on a jointer

Rusty Eads
07-09-2010, 9:07 PM
I found this old chunk of iron on cl and wondering if it is a good deal or not.

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/tls/1826807836.html

I have went and looked at it and it will need some definite work like machining some brackets to hold the new RBI cutter head (still has original cutter head but removed and lost the babbets). Other than that it is in fairly good shape. I do have a 2 hp 220 volt motor that I would use with it. I thought about offering $250 for it and let him sit on it, he's had this posted off and on for a couple of months. Should i walk away or is it a good deal even at $325?

Jeff Duncan
07-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Good deal is a very abstract term...it really depends on the person. Is it a good deal for me....not a chance. If I were into restoring machines, which I'm not, I think maybe $150 would get me at least thinking about it. As it stands no motor, no electricals or switch, no guard, and an unusable cutterhead, it has value as cast iron scrap, or some potential for a piece of equipment. As such it's value is limited.
For a reference point, what can I pick up a used but ready to work 8" jointer for? Well I picked up my DJ20 with a mobile base and extra knives for $600 a couple years ago. What will it cost for you to get that machine up and running, forget about your time as you'll be so far behind you don't want to even think about that. Just the parts and electrics you'll need to aquire.
In the end it's probably going to come down to how much you enjoy tinkering with old machines as the cost benefit is unlikely to be good.
good luck,
JeffD

Carpenter Mark
07-10-2010, 5:06 PM
The old Crecent jointers are really excellent machines. That particular machine looks like it can be gotten up and running with not a lot of work but it's important to find out the condition of the tables ie: are they parallel, flat, co-planar and can they be adjusted to be or will you have to have them ground($$). And it would help if you know a machinist or are friendly with a shop that can mill some mounts for the head and supply you with shims that might be needed to get the head into alignment with the outfeed table.
Go to http://www.owwm.com/ and take a look around there for more info and pictures of that jointer, both original and restored. Really cool machines and the most helpful and knowledgeable members on the Web when it comes to older and vintage woodworking machines.
As for the price, eh, maybe a little high for that condition.

Stephen Cherry
07-10-2010, 5:45 PM
I would skip it. There are so many used machines out there that it does not make sense to get into a project. If this were a 16 inch jointer, where the end result would be a machine that was beyond your reach otherwise, it might be another issue.

Why not wait for a better deal to come along, with less uncertainty?

Also, if you get something modern, you may stand a chance of not loosing your shirt if you wanted to upgrade later.

All just my opinion.

Carroll Courtney
07-10-2010, 6:09 PM
I have restored several machines and enjoyed every minute of the process.Which I use these machines and not for resale purpose.I'm with others on this,for a few more Benjamins you could have more w/less headaches and not have to do so much modifieing.---Carroll
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=118442&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1242437456 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=118442&d=1242437456)

Chip Lindley
07-11-2010, 12:04 AM
This is not the forum to find much sympathy for vintage cast iron machinery. But, prejudices aside, I don't recall seeing an 8" jointer in any conditon in this price range on CL or eBay. The previous owner may have performed a huge service by removing the babbit journals. Modern cutterheads (especially with jack screws) and ball bearings make woodworking life worth living!

All depends on if a guy has mechanical aptitude, and enjoys rebuilding things mechanical, or requires plug and play. Just my .02.

Rusty Eads
07-11-2010, 5:51 PM
So I decided to take the road of the majority and waited. So today I was browsing cl and found a great deal on a 6" jointer instead. Thanks for everyone's help