PDA

View Full Version : Super glue adventures and mishaps!

Alan Tolchinsky
07-09-2010, 8:31 PM
I'm making this a separate thread since it's a little different subject. Even though I'm a pretty careful guy I actually glued my index finger to my Bosch impact drill. I was just trying to attach a label on the battery with just a little ca. I just touched the label for a split second and I was immediately attached to my drill. Obviously there was some ca on the top of the label. :rolleyes: It took about 20 minutes with acetone to free me.

I never knew ca could set this fast; it must be the high humidity here in North Carolina. I swore to my wife that I'd never use it again without gloves. Is there a better debonder than acetone? It didn't seem to work that well.

O.K. tell me your super glue stories so I don't feel so bad. ;) And be careful with this stuff. It'll either glue you to something you'd rather not have a long term relationship with or choke you with obnoxious fumes.

Roger Chandler
07-09-2010, 9:01 PM
Alan,

I use "Super Solvent" a special solvent made for CA glue. It is manufactured by Golden West, Woodland Hills California. I purchased mine from one of our local turners who buys bulk, but it really works good.

I have glued my fingers together several times, and it immediately dissolves the glue without taking off skin.

Hope this helps, you can look them up on the internet.

Wally Dickerman
07-09-2010, 9:52 PM
I once glued myself to a piece that was mounted on the lathe. I was pouring glue into a crack, not knowing that it was going clear through the wood. Umm...well, my hand was underneath the bowl holding it steady. It came as quite a shock to realize that I was glued to my lathe. With a lot of painful but desperate stretching I managed get my free hand on a can of lacquer thinner...crap, wrong can. I did it all over again and this time managed to reach the can of acetone. Took a while, but I managed to free myself.

Among all of my bad thoughts about how stupid I was, It crossed my mind that I was glad that I hadn't embarassed myself by doing this while demonstrating in front of 80 or 90 club members.

Darius Ferlas
07-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Years ago I glued some small kitchen item, a broken mug or something. I did it on the kitchen table with the table cloth on. A drop of super glue dripped on the cloth. It was kinda hard to remove the table cloth. When I finally succeeded some of it remained on the table. A circle of that cloth, around 2 inches in diameter, still commemorates that day. The table was downgraded to a workbench in the basement.

David E Keller
07-09-2010, 10:22 PM
I've glued just about every part of my body to just about every other part at one point or another. I've also spun it off the lathe into my hair, onto my glasses, etc. It's nasty stuff, but I'll keep using it because it works so well.

Bernie Weishapl
07-09-2010, 10:51 PM
I got a drop on my lathe bed. Like a dummy and before thinking I just reached down to wipe it off with my finger. Yep you guess it. It stuck. Thank God for cellphones and the wife happen to be home. I am not going to tell you how long she laughed before she put acetone on it.:mad:

Alan Tolchinsky
07-09-2010, 11:23 PM
These are very entertaining stories; please keep them coming. I'm just starting to feel better about myself. ;) I guess I was lucky in that I glued myself to something mobile. I don't know what I would have done if I got glued to my lathe. Since I learned how to apply a CA finish to pens I love this stuff and will continue to use it but with much more respect.

Kirk Miller
07-10-2010, 2:19 AM
I build fishing rods and use a 2 pt epoxy to finish them. I get that all over my bench as I work on a rod. You have to keep going or it will start to set up on you. Well needless to say almost tool I own has been epoxied to the rod building bench

Karl Card
07-10-2010, 6:22 AM
I first started to use my finger to apply ca when I started using it for a pen finish. Nothing bad happened and it did bring back memories of back in the day when we put glue on our hands on purpose just to peel it off...and yes ca did just that peeled off, no skin attached - well maybe some dead skin..

bob svoboda
07-10-2010, 8:47 AM
When my friend's son was little, he put what he thought was ointment (CA) on his little sisters' behind-glued her poor little cheeks together.

My first experience, years ago, was when a friend said "Hey, check this out". He put a drop in my thumb and said "now, touch it with your index finger". He laughed for 15 minutes while I was stuck with a semi-permanent OK sign before offering me acetone.

Jerry Marcantel
07-10-2010, 10:12 AM
While working for Bombardier Aerospace, installing interiors in corporate jets, we did a lot of mock ups with the lightweight panels used in Aviation.. We used 3 grades of Loctite super glues, thick, thin, and much thinner.
I preferred the "316", which had the consistance of syrup. One day I was working in another hanger, didn't have my tool box, didn't have a tool crib there either, so when I needed some glue, I used what was availible from other crew members...... As luck would have it, it was the much thinner stuff...... Anyway, I squeezed on some glue, holding the part in my left hand, and after applying the glue, I grabbed the second part and aligned it to the first part. Gave it a little tug, and they were attached. Tried to set the part down, but it was stuck to my left hand.
Stupidity or panic set in, and I grabbed the part with my right hand to remove it from my left. Nope, it was really stuck to my left, and when I tried to release my right hand, it was also stuck...At that time embarassment set in.....
Lunch time was 5 minutes away, and I was working near the lunch area, and people started showing up for their 30 minute lunch break. Two of my friends decided they would help after a lot of debate, so they set forth on the task at hand, Releasing my part from my hands. It took the whole lunch period, 2 bottles of super glue solvent, several exacto knife blades, and a lot of ridicule from all the other people witnessing the event.....
You can't emagine the helplessness a person feels when you have both hands stuck to a part that is about 1/4 x 2" x 3".... I guess it would be like being handcuffed and not having a key.....jerry (in Tucson)

David Woodruff
07-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Nitro methane works well. Available at model airplane hobby shops.