PDA

View Full Version : Some Osage game calls.

Jack Mincey
07-09-2010, 7:10 PM
Here are a few game calls I just finished from some osage. If anyone from the creek has some dry osage 4" wide by 1" thick I would be interested in getting some.
Thanks,
Jack Mincey
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2303.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2304.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2301.jpg

John Keeton
07-09-2010, 8:32 PM
Really nice calls, Jack!! I have a farm full of osage:mad:, but none cut and dried! Wish someone would come and take all of the osage trees off my place, though - if you are interested....;)

On the calls, I do have some nice curly maple, but it is 13/16", and that may not be enough. If it is, you are welcome to some.

Bernie Weishapl
07-09-2010, 8:35 PM
Really nice calls Jack. Nice wood and well done.

brian watts
07-09-2010, 8:50 PM
very nice calls.....MR . keeton. can I?

Jack Mincey
07-09-2010, 9:56 PM
Thanks everyone, Osage is one of my favorite woods to turn. The only problem with it is it doesn't grow here in WNC. John, this might come over as crazy but someday I might just put my saws in the truck and drive to your farm and help you thin down the osage on your farm. Just how far is your farm from SAY Ashville N.C.?
Thanks Again,
Jack

David E Keller
07-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Pretty calls. I love the warm looks of osage. Jack, you might try looking for old fence posts... At least around here, osage is a popular wood for posts because it's so decay and bug resistant.

John Keeton
07-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Jack, I would guess we are about 5 hours from Ashville. It is some nasty stuff to fool with - lots of thorns!

Steve Schlumpf
07-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Beautiful calls Jack! Really like the photos also!

Ted Calver
07-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Very nice Jack. Is that ceramic over ??

Paul Douglass
07-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Very nice on all of them.

John W. Rollo
07-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Nice work, I have a longtime buddy who sold customcalls at allpredatorcalls.com might be a connection, either way those are reaaly nice work.

Jack Mincey
07-10-2010, 8:41 AM
Thanks again everyone, Ted the pot calls are ceramic over glass.
Jack

Roger Chandler
07-10-2010, 10:33 AM
those calls, all of them are some of the nicest I have seen. Very nice form and they just speak "quality" and "craftsmanship."

Aaron Wingert
07-10-2010, 3:23 PM
Beautiful calls Jack. Your work never fails to impress. I have some of the ceramic surfaces on order and am looking forward to giving them a shot on my calls. Is that a purpleheart striker I see in the background? Good luck with purpleheart strikers on ceramic?

Osage orange is definitely one of my favorite woods to make calls from.

Ted Calver
07-10-2010, 4:28 PM
Aaron,
What wood do you recommend for a striker on ceramic? Glass? Slate?? I'm still trying to figure this call making thing out so I can make a couple for friends. The guys on the call making forums seem to keep their cards close to their vests on methods and materials.

Jack Mincey
07-10-2010, 4:47 PM
Thanks again. Ted, Carbon fiber works welll on the ceramic, but I have been having good luck with purple heart so far. I like about any" hard" hard wood for slate or glass. Purple Heart, Persimmon, and dogwood being the woods I use most for strikers. I have to change the size of the striker for using on ceramic just a little. I have a guy saving me some carbon fiber scrapes so by next year I will be using it for my ceramic calls. Aaron, what woods are you using for your ceramic calls. I would like to try them for I'm always looking to improve any thing I make.
Thanks,
Jack

Ted Calver
07-10-2010, 5:34 PM
Jack,
Thanks. I almost think the strikers are the hardest part to figure out. There doesn't seem to be any hard and fast formula for striker length or configuration of the tip. Any variation in thickness or tip shape appears to have a big impact on how the call sounds. So far I converted a couple of Harry Potter wands to strikers and they seem to work ok, but it's a work in progress.

Moshe Eshel
07-11-2010, 5:08 AM
Never used a game call in my life (I'm not the hunting kind, and I don't think there is too much hunting available on my part of the globe anyway...)

But the form and colors are very much to my taste, I love the level of detail and clarity you achieved with the pots - one day I might be able to turn like that!

John Hart
07-11-2010, 6:38 AM
Nice work Jack. Sheesh...you take great pictures! :)

Baxter Smith
07-11-2010, 7:17 AM
Nice calls. May have to try one someday. Have a nephew that loves to hunt them.

Ken Hill
07-11-2010, 11:14 AM
love the calls!

I have a possible source for a bunch of osage...last batch filled a pick up for $25. When he has another load for me i will keep you in mind.....if you need some to get you through let me know.

Also, brookside now carries the sla-tek

Aaron Wingert
07-11-2010, 7:40 PM
Ted, PM sent. I'd be happy to help you out.

Jack I haven't tried the ceramic yet....Still waiting on the mail man to bring it. I hear great things about it. My bread and butter top selling call is cocobolo it seems, so I'll probably try it in that first. I appreciate the tip on the purpleheart striker. I tend to gravitate toward hickory pegs on about 75% of my strikers. It just seems to work with my calls best.

Allen Neighbors
07-11-2010, 7:52 PM
Jack, I've usually got a goodly bit of OO (we call it Bois d'Arc, around here), but I'm currently out of it. I'll keep you in mind the next time I get any.
John Keeton, are you finished with those shelves yet? If you are, I know where you could get rid of a lot of OO... :D Texas and North Carolina, for example...

Rick Robbins
07-13-2010, 12:38 AM
very nice work on the osage. call's look great. Rick

Billy Tallant
07-13-2010, 1:02 AM
Very nice looking calls. Those pics of yours really stand out also.