PDA

View Full Version : Natural edge Maple burl bowl, a little different

Leo Van Der Loo
07-09-2010, 1:39 PM
I had tis piece of Manitoba Maple and wanted to try preserve the spikes and roughness of the burl, and so this is what it became, just a little off the everyday forms :)

Comments are appreciated as always :D

155377 155376 155378

David DeCristoforo
07-09-2010, 2:21 PM
Es muy bueno Leo. I like it. I get tired of seeing the same forms over and over. It's good to see someone do something different.

James Combs
07-09-2010, 2:22 PM
Very well done Leo. I like the entire form.

David E Keller
07-09-2010, 2:30 PM
Beautiful wood. I like the external form quite a bit... It's very graceful.

I'm not sure about the broad natural edge on the less figured side of the piece... I'll have to study it a bit more.

bob svoboda
07-09-2010, 2:33 PM
As always, a very nice and creative turning. Thanks for sharing.

David Woodruff
07-09-2010, 3:25 PM
Leo, very nice, I always like a wany, wavy natural edge. I go back & forth between natural edge bark included forms to the perfect forms. I always come back to nature's defects providing character.

Steve Schlumpf
07-09-2010, 3:33 PM
Looks pretty cool Leo! Beautiful wood! Love all the curl! What are the dimensions of the form?

John Keeton
07-09-2010, 3:35 PM
Leo, this is really a very interesting piece! Beautiful piece of wood, and such a neat departure from the norm, as you say.

It is a pleasing shape, and the bead with the deep undercut really adds to the interest considerably.

Alan Tolchinsky
07-09-2010, 4:53 PM
That's very cool Leo. I like the shape you did with the base including the neat bead. The color is very pretty; I like it! Thanks for sharing as usual. Alan

Harvey Ghesser
07-09-2010, 5:12 PM
It is a beautiful form and a beautiful piece of wood, Leo! Very well done!

Ron Lynch
07-09-2010, 5:36 PM
It may be a little different, but it's also a lot nice.

Baxter Smith
07-09-2010, 5:40 PM
Very different, very interesting, and very nice. When I see shapes that aren't the norm I find myself mentally adding and subtracting wood here and there and trying to visualize if that would make it look better, worse, or just different. So thanks for the mental stimulation!:)

Bernie Weishapl
07-09-2010, 6:03 PM
Well done Leo. That is really kinda cool.

Peter Lamb
07-09-2010, 7:07 PM
Leo,
You turly show you skills in both design and execution.
Very well done,
Peter

charlie knighton
07-09-2010, 7:22 PM
very nice, thanks for sharing such a novel design and accomplishment

Allen Neighbors
07-09-2010, 7:30 PM
Nice work, Leo... nice departure from the conventional, too!!
Is that a bead at the base, or is it a captured ring?
Well done, either way!!!

Michael James
07-09-2010, 7:39 PM
I can appreciate the salal, fruit bowls and the smaller bowls, and of course good work is good work. But THIS is the kind of stuff I look at and just have to look at some more. Much like the SW pottery forms, the free form stuff is all 1 of a kind. Nice job!

Grant Wilkinson
07-09-2010, 8:07 PM
It's a beautiful piece, Leo. I am on the fence about the bead at the base.I think it takes away a bit from the smooth flow that would otherwise run from the bowl/pedestal into the base.
I photoshopped it smooth and to me, it's more appealing. Just my taste, though.

Bill Bolen
07-09-2010, 8:21 PM
Certainly different and very striking. Well done Leo.

John Hart
07-09-2010, 8:25 PM
I like the gracefulness of this piece. And that it is in motion...like a stone dropped in a pond.

Nicely done Leo. :)

Frank Van Atta
07-09-2010, 9:20 PM
I like it. I'm glad I'm not the only one that tries to save as many of the burl spikes as possible. :cool:

Thomas Canfield
07-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Leo,

It does look like you are having fun trying to really find out what the wood wants to be. The piece stands up and asks for a good look.

Roger Chandler
07-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Leo,

I like it! :)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Es muy bueno Leo. I like it. I get tired of seeing the same forms over and over. It's good to see someone do something different.

Thank you David :D, "different" is the essence of turning wood for me, there is just so much we can do with form and wood combinations, and yes always different, it is something I do try, to never make the same thing twice is the challenge I like :)

Very well done Leo. I like the entire form.

Thanks James :D

Beautiful wood. I like the external form quite a bit... It's very graceful.

I'm not sure about the broad natural edge on the less figured side of the piece... I'll have to study it a bit more.

Thanks for commenting David :D

As always, a very nice and creative turning. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Bob :D

Leo, this is really a very interesting piece! Beautiful piece of wood, and such a neat departure from the norm, as you say.

It is a pleasing shape, and the bead with the deep undercut really adds to the interest considerably.

Thanks for your comments John :D

Leo, very nice, I always like a wany, wavy natural edge. I go back & forth between natural edge bark included forms to the perfect forms. I always come back to nature's defects providing character.

Thanks David :D

Looks pretty cool Leo! Beautiful wood! Love all the curl! What are the dimensions of the form?

Hi Steve, thanks :D, oh oops :o, I'll have to go and find it :), It's about 9½" X 5½"

Leo Van Der Loo
07-11-2010, 12:43 AM
That's very cool Leo. I like the shape you did with the base including the neat bead. The color is very pretty; I like it! Thanks for sharing as usual. Alan

Thank you Alan :D

It is a beautiful form and a beautiful piece of wood, Leo! Very well done!

Thanks for the comment Harvey :D

Very different, very interesting, and very nice. When I see shapes that aren't the norm I find myself mentally adding and subtracting wood here and there and trying to visualize if that would make it look better, worse, or just different. So thanks for the mental stimulation!:)

Baxter, I wonder what you got after the mental exercise ;), and yes thanks for commenting

Well done Leo. That is really kinda cool.

Thank you Bernie :D

It may be a little different, but it's also a lot nice.

Thanks for commenting Ron, I appreciate it :cool: :D

Leo,
You turly show you skills in both design and execution.
Very well done,
Peter

Thank you for commenting Peter :D

Leo Van Der Loo
07-11-2010, 1:03 AM
I can appreciate the salal, fruit bowls and the smaller bowls, and of course good work is good work. But THIS is the kind of stuff I look at and just have to look at some more. Much like the SW pottery forms, the free form stuff is all 1 of a kind. Nice job!

Thanks Michael :D, fits right in with my answer when they ask what I am making, and the answer is always "round wood :rolleyes:", yes it is this one of a kind I do make, even if the casual look just seems to be "it's just another bowl again", to me each and every piece is a one of a kind, some are more easily seen to be different though :)

It's a beautiful piece, Leo. I am on the fence about the bead at the base.I think it takes away a bit from the smooth flow that would otherwise run from the bowl/pedestal into the base.
I photoshopped it smooth and to me, it's more appealing. Just my taste, though.

Thanks for commenting Grant :), you know that's exactly I did make it, one smooth curve from bottom to top, had it sanded and set it on the counter in our kitchen when we had supper, and we looked at it, LOML liked it as it was, and I thought it looked alright, but I was after something else than just the usual, so I chucked her up again and made it into what it is now, WE like it better this way :D

Certainly different and very striking. Well done Leo.

Thanks for you commenting Bill:D

I like the gracefulness of this piece. And that it is in motion...like a stone dropped in a pond.

Nicely done Leo. :)

Hé thanks for your thoughts on it John :D

I like it. I'm glad I'm not the only one that tries to save as many of the burl spikes as possible. :cool:

Thanks for commenting Frank :D

Leo,

I like it! :)

Roger we both do :), and thanks for commenting :D

Rob Cunningham
07-11-2010, 9:12 AM
Very nice Leo. The wood has some great figure and I really like the form.

Thomas Bennett
07-11-2010, 9:21 AM
I don't have much else to add. The manitoba maple has it "goin' on"! Nice photo, as usual.

Baxter Smith
07-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Baxter, I wonder what you got after the mental exercise ;), and yes thanks for commenting

:D
Mental exercise is good for retaing ones memory. I don't remember what I got from it. :)

Baxter Smith
07-11-2010, 10:38 AM
I remember now.:D As a beginner, it takes a while to get to the point where you can come close to the classic/usual forms. Takes even longer for me to get creative. Seeing other peoples creativity helps me expand my horizons. That is if I can remember them.:)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-11-2010, 1:00 PM
Very nice Leo. The wood has some great figure and I really like the form.

Thanks for commenting Rob :D

Leo Van Der Loo
07-11-2010, 1:02 PM
I don't have much else to add. The manitoba maple has it "goin' on"! Nice photo, as usual.

Thank you Thomas :D

Leo Van Der Loo
07-11-2010, 1:41 PM
Mental exercise is good for retaing ones memory. I don't remember what I got from it. :)

I have heard that claim also, Baxter, and not sure where I heard that :eek: :)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-11-2010, 1:43 PM
I remember now.:D As a beginner, it takes a while to get to the point where you can come close to the classic/usual forms. Takes even longer for me to get creative. Seeing other peoples creativity helps me expand my horizons. That is if I can remember them.:)

I think you have been doing pretty good in a relatively short time ;) :D

Tim Browne
07-13-2010, 9:37 AM
Leo, until I saw this piece I thought the term "rustic elegance" was an oxymoron. The rustic look of the natural edge on this piece lives very comfortably with the elegance of the form. You have a great eye.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-13-2010, 4:00 PM
Leo, until I saw this piece I thought the term "rustic elegance" was an oxymoron. The rustic look of the natural edge on this piece lives very comfortably with the elegance of the form. You have a great eye.

Thanks for that Tim :), it is a mix isn't it :D

Josh Bowman
07-13-2010, 8:47 PM
Inspirational!

Leo Van Der Loo
07-13-2010, 9:19 PM
Inspirational!

Thanks for commenting Josh :D:D