PDA

View Full Version : Butcher block glue-ups

Tom Hammond
07-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm going to be doing quite a few butcher blocks in the coming months. I'd like to get some inputs on gluing up... ideas on the table, hold-downs, not gluing your work to your table, flattening and avoiding bowing and twisting, keeping the workpiece square, type of clamps, etc.

- I'm building a "clamp" right now that has two 4-ft sections of 2x4 engineered lumber connected by two 4-ft lengths of 5/8" threaded rod so I can do 36x36 pieces. I'd like to do bigger eventually.

- I'm also consideing using steel L-channel as straps across my work to hold it down and align my strips.

Any info or ***pictures*** will be greatly appreciated.

Brian Penning
07-09-2010, 4:28 PM
I dunno....but sounds like you might be over-engineering it.
I simply made smaller sections of glued up strips so they passed through my planer and then glued up the smaller sections.

Voila...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_eDYZqM9-MJw/Sy4qoy9TZsI/AAAAAAAASrM/xmMxkJQ0DNQ/s640/IMG_3972.JPG

Jay Allen
07-09-2010, 5:02 PM
Plaining end-grain is not advisable. The knives just don't go well with that type of cut in the first place and it is very likely to blow-out the trailing end. I have heard of entire glue-ups doing what could be called shattering.
This is something best done with a wide-belt sander or drum sander.

Tom Hammond
07-09-2010, 8:04 PM
Any pictures of significant-sized glue-ups would be greatly appreciated!!

Paul Ryan
07-09-2010, 8:20 PM
I have planned end board cutting boards quite a few times, some up to 15" wide. If you put and round over or chamfer on the edges tear out isn't an issue, just take very lite cuts.

Karl Brogger
07-10-2010, 11:56 AM
That's pretty awesome looking Brian. Walnut, Cherry, Maple/birch?

Brian Penning
07-10-2010, 12:27 PM
That's pretty awesome looking Brian. Walnut, Cherry, Maple/birch?

Thanks very much...walnut, cherry and maple.
Funny thing, the client wanted something to do some serious cutting of vegetables, meat ,etc. but now his wife won't let him -might ruin the finish..lol
They also love the Kapoosh knife inserts.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_eDYZqM9-MJw/Sy4qo-ddwfI/AAAAAAAASrI/G5itSi8cgww/s640/IMG_3979.JPG

Chad Stucke
07-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Take some time to tune up your tools prior to starting this helps considerably when gluing multiple joints at once. Also make a consious effort to keep the pieces lined up the way they were cut and rotate every other one to cancel out any minor out of squareness in the cuts. I would put paper or plastic on the table if you don't want it to stick. It can be easily removed if necessary.
Chad