PDA

View Full Version : Rolly Munro carbide cutters

Terry Gerros
07-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi Oh Wise Ones,

Does anyone know of a source for these nano carbide cutters? Craft Supply no longer carries the line and other than Packard's, where do you go? It is a great tool and works like a charm.

Regards,
Terry

John Keeton
07-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Terry, in looking at the Munro website, Packards is the only other source listed, and according to their website, they carry the full line. Is there a reason you would not want to use them? Just curious...

Terry Gerros
07-09-2010, 6:49 PM
Hi John,

Well now, I have to say I squeek when I walk, ask Mike Smith (we are good friends though we live on opposite coasts). The prices on the carbide cutters seem a bit high considering you can buy a similar (key word is similar) round cutter for about 6.00. Now the similarity ends with the Munro cutters being 2.5 mm high, other cutters are near 3 mm. Also, the 3mm cutters are beveled where the screw fits and the Munro cutters aren't beveled in that area, hence I reckon the "special Torx screw." BTW, those screws are 3mm with a 0.5 pitch.

Terry

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-09-2010, 9:33 PM
I've used one on mine that's made by Mike Hunter. I can't remember which one it is for sure but I think it's the #4 cutter. It worked great in the Rolly, lasted a long time.
You might check with Mike Hunter. You can contact him through his website.
www.hunterwoodturningtool.com

David E Keller
07-09-2010, 10:37 PM
One other suggestion... Find a local machine shop and take the cutter in with you. They should be able to figure out a source for buying the cutters unless they have some modification after they're manufactured.