PDA

View Full Version : Real tools for a little boy?

Tom Walz
07-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Real tools for a little boy?

Grandson turns 5 this weekend. He has had a good time this past couple weeks helping his dad and me build a play set. I am thinking about getting him some “real” woodworking tools. So far I have a torpedo level and a folding carpenters’ rule. I would appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Tom

Rod Sheridan
07-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Tom, I went through this with my kids.

Buy them real tools so they can actually do something.

I first bought my daughters a small hammer, some clamps, some nails and some glue.

Then a hand saw was added, and an eggbeater drill. We used the handsaw to make a workbench complete with vise. It brought home the idea that you can make big things with a handsaw, including lap joints for bench legs.

After that, an old #3 plane, sharpened properly and a couple of sharp chisels.

They progressed to being able to use the plane and chisels quite well.

Yes chisels are sharp, so I kept that for a time period after I had watched them work.

One daughter continues her interest in woodworking to this date, she's building a Shaker style table to be used as a desk in her room.

regards, Rod.

P.S. Sharp tools and vises are important for young children, they don't have the strength to hold something and plane it or saw it, they're doing their best just to control the plane or handsaw. Make it rewarding and they will love it, make it frustrating and they will hate it.

Paul Wunder
07-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Try this:

http://www.forsmallhands.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=86_142&m2k_medium=adwords&gclid=CLW7vYnj3qICFclL5QodxT8sUw

It is a tool kit for youngsters at small hands.com. Woodcraft used to have a terrific set that that I bought for my grandsons, but I can't find it anymore

John Mark Lane
07-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I agree with Rod. My children are 5 (son) and 8 (daugher). They love helping me work on stuff, both the motorcycles (and Jeep) and the wood stuff. They had toy tools when they were 2, but they have real tools now, and they are proud of that and really treasure their tools.

Here's a picture of my son's bench, in my garage. A bit of a mess, but I let him keep it as he likes it, and just try to encourage him to maintain a clean workspace.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/jmarklane/DSCN0448.jpg

Here's the little guy himself, with an egg-beater I got for him on fleaBay, and a set of bits that his grandmother gave him.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/jmarklane/DSCN0445.jpg

Hand saws, screwdrivers, egg-beater, hammer, pliers, adjustable wrench or three, clamps, just about anything really. When I'm working in the garage, he will often take a few pieces of wood from my scrap pile, clamp a piece in his vice, and just cut it. Then maybe nail it to another piece, and "make something". He just loves the whole process. Of course, we make stuff together, too, like bird houses and boxes and stuff. I'm building my whole new shop around the idea of teaching the children. All of my friends and neighbors are very excited and want their children to be able to come over and participate. It's great fun.

Brian W Evans
07-09-2010, 12:32 PM
I have a 5 year old who loves his toolbox (an old tackle box I got at a yard sale). He's got a lot of real tools (so he can actually use them, like the previous poster said), but he really loves his hammer and c-clamps. They're easy to understand and you can do things with them pretty easily when you're 5. He's got a bunch more tools but I guess they're not as satisfying yet.

One tool that's indispensable in my opinion is kid-size safety glasses. The rule is: glasses go on before we touch any tools. Lee Valley has good ones for kids.

Steve Peterson
07-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I got each of my 4 and 5 year old kids a $10 set of cheap chinese tools at one of the big box stores last Christmas. It has a stubby hammer (about 6" long) that is the perfect size for them. There is also a tape measure, small level, multi-tip screwdriver, and a box cutter. I took away the box cutter for now.

The set with approximately the same number of plastic tools next to it was around $20.

I built each of them a workbench and let them build a toolbox. They really like having their own tools. The hammer and the tape measure are the best. These alone keep them busy for hours. A small handsaw and cordless drill are probably on the list for next Chrismas.

Steve

Lee Schierer
07-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't recall how old I was, but my Dad purchased a "Handy Andy Tool" set for me. I used those tools for many projects and eventually replaced them with better tools. I still have one of the two small hand planes that came with the set and use it frequently for taking off the sharp corner on boards.

Aaron Wingert
07-09-2010, 4:20 PM
This has me thinking of getting my 7 month-old twin sons their own tools when they're a little older! John I love the idea of letting your son have his own bench in your shop. That is an excellent idea.

Rich Engelhardt
07-09-2010, 6:40 PM
If the kids show the good sense to think about adding some power..

Don't overlook those Multifunction tools.
The short stroke of the cutter makes them extremely safe to use.
That's one aspect that's way underplayed.

You have to work pretty hard to cut yourself with either the Dremel or the HF.
Can't speak for the others since I only have these two.

Vinny Miseo
07-09-2010, 6:41 PM
Lee Valley has a few little Japanese "detail" saws that look like would be fun for a little kid. They are small, probably pretty sharp and I bet being a pullsaw would be easier for a kid.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/images/item/woodworking/saws/60t0665s1.jpg