PDA

View Full Version : Grizzley jointer

Greg Labacz
07-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I just got the 6" bench top Grizzly Joiner because of my small shop and was wondering what I can use to take off the grease on the infeed / out feed tables and fence? :eek:

Paul Johnstone
07-09-2010, 10:28 AM
I just got the 6" bench top Grizzly Joiner because of my small shop and was wondering what I can use to take off the grease on the infeed / out feed tables and fence? :eek:

WD-40 works well. There's other stuff too.

Mike Circo
07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Simple. First get a PLASTIC paint scraper and get off the majority of the gunk.

Then lots of paper towels and good clean mineral spirits.

Always cleaned off my tools with no residual residue. WD-40 may contain lubricants that stay behind and could contaminate the wood surface and prevent finish from penetrating or adhering properly.

Enjoy
m

alex grams
07-09-2010, 10:58 AM
B-12 chem tool will really take it off too.

Jim Rimmer
07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
I use a citrus cleaner and then clean off the residue.

John Mark Lane
07-09-2010, 12:08 PM
I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the jointer. I recently picked up a like-new Delta benchtop jointer for $100 on CL. Had also been looking at the Harbor Freight one. There doesn't really seem to be a "high-end" benchtop jointer, which is a shame imo.

Derek Gilmer
07-09-2010, 12:12 PM

+1 that is what I used to clean my 6" jointer from the grizzly tent sale.

Cliff Holmes
07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
http://www.thewoodnerd.com/articles/cosmoline.html

WD-40 just melts the cosmoline off, spray and wipe. Effortless ...

Louie Ballis
07-09-2010, 12:26 PM
+1 that is what I used to clean my 6" jointer from the grizzly tent sale.

On the citrus cleaner.

Dont forget the elbow grease.

And lots and lots of paper towels.

When I got my Gizz jointer (and bandsaw for that matter) there was so much cosmoline on the tables that you could squeeze it out between the table and the wax paper like tooth paste.

glenn bradley
07-09-2010, 4:33 PM
I'm with Mike C, plastic scraper then lotsa paper towels and mineral spirits. WD-40's residue turns to goo around these parts.

Derek Gilmer
07-09-2010, 4:51 PM
Heat helps as well. I got my grizzly table saw in December. The cold solidifies cosmoline and it is nearly impossible to clean. The cosmoline on the jointer when it was 112 in my garage/shop almost wiped off with a towel.

So.. spray it with flaming WD40 and you are set!

Greg Labacz
07-14-2010, 9:19 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Since I had wd40 in my shop I tried it out and WOW:D:D I sprayed it on and wiped all the gunk right off without any noticeable residue on the tables. and to answer John Mark Lane the joiner is a great piece of equipment, after putting on the fence it was ready to go, the in feed/out feed tables were lined up right out of the box.Since I only do small pieces like treasure boxes etc. the 6" width is perfect for me, I also got it on sale for $180.00 which was well within my budget.

Cliff Holmes
07-14-2010, 9:23 AM
Yep, good stuff. Great for removing the labels and/or the the gunk they leave behind, too.

Did you know that this is the 50th anniversary of WD-40? They're selling it in a "commemorative" collectors edition :)

http://www.wd40.com/now-and-then/

Mike Goetzke
07-14-2010, 9:35 AM

Sounds like a stealth gloat to me ;). Congrats on the new tool. I recently bought a Griz jointer and as others have said the plastic scraper get off 90% of the gunk - then WD-40 or whatever. Don't know how your jointer came but mine had the beds in a separate crate from the base. I removed the cosmoline in the crate but later after the jointed was assembled buffed out the top with a gray 3-M pad lubed w/ WD-40, degreased, applied Boeshield T-9, then a nice coat of paste wax. Wish I did everything in the crate - less mess.

Good Luck,

Mike

Greg Labacz
07-14-2010, 10:31 AM
since my jointer is a bench top the only thing I had to attach was the fence.

Jim Rimmer
07-14-2010, 10:42 PM
I just got a Grizz bandsaw and it sat for a couple of weeks in the Texas heat before I got to assemble it. Most of the coating had dried (?) on the table. I sprayed the citrus cleaner on and started to wipe and nothing happened. I scratched my head, looked around, spent a few minutes trying to come up with a better idea and then (being a man) wiped it again. Having given it a few minutes to soak, everything came right off.

Luther Oswalt
07-14-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm with Mike C, plastic scraper then lotsa paper towels and mineral spirits. WD-40's residue turns to goo around these parts.
Same here on the Plastic Scraper ... paper towels ..but I got some of the cleaner from Grizzly which worked well ... I'm sure mineral spirits will work just as well!
Leo