PDA

View Full Version : Clipped Head vs Round Head Framing Nailer Question

John Weber
12-03-2004, 2:30 PM
So does it make a difference? I picked up a Bostitch N80SB at Lowes today for $140 on clearance, but it is a clipped head nailer. I had planned to get a round head at some point, but the Bostitch seemed like a good value. No major jobs, a few home projects and maybe a shed. It looks like a round head Bostitch will run almost $270, although I can get a round head Porter Cable for a bit less. Thanks for any comments.

John

Steve Cox
12-03-2004, 2:38 PM
It depends on your building codes. Clipped head nails don't have as much holding power as round head. In some areas they are not allowed to be used for framing. Check your local building codes.

Aaron Montgomery
12-03-2004, 2:40 PM
I haven't used it yet, but I recently picked up a refurbished PC FR350R? framing nailer at Amazon for $160 - $30 for getting an Amazon Visa. I've been looking for a new card anyway so I figure I ended up with a $130 framing nailer. I was going to link to this, but for some reason I can't get out to Amazon right now. The refurbished PC wasn't easy to find, just do a site search for refurbished and Porter Cable. Try this link. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?tag=personalho0ff-20&keyword=Factory+Reconditioned+Porter+Cable+Fr350r+ Round+Head+Framing+Nailer+Kit&mode=blended)

I wanted to make sure I got a full head nail because of talk I've heard of inspectors not accepting clipped head nails. Not a big deal for the projects I'm planning right now, but you never know what (inspected) projects might be down the road.

Update: Looks like Amazon doesn't have any in stock right now - I just got mine last week though, so I'm guessing their reconditioned stock varies and you'll just have to keep watching it if you're interested.

Tyler Howell
12-03-2004, 3:22 PM
What Steve said. Areas like Florida's hurricane alley require round headed nails.

I have a Paslode Impulse with a clipped head and usually need the Sawzall or a serious pry bar to correct mistakes.
PS Love the Book Did you get my Note??

Jason Roehl
12-03-2004, 4:33 PM
I'll second what both Steve and Tyler said. Some codes require the full round head, but from the destruction/construction I've done, I've almost never pulled the clipped head through a board before the shank pulled out. So I don't get the code, but it's there. I do still see a lot of framers doing it by hand, which I also don't get. My elbow hurts just thinking about it. I've got the N80SB as well (on my second one, actually, first was stolen), and like it.

Jason

Jim Becker
12-03-2004, 6:04 PM
The safe choice is to buy a round-head nailer. You'll know that it is "legal" no matter where you are or where you move. IMHO, of course, but I practice what I preach. When I was doing the kitchen renovation last year, I bought a round-head tool even though my township would have been fine with the clipped head fasteners.

Ted Shrader
12-03-2004, 10:38 PM
John -

I went with the round head nailer - PC350. Building code here required - though I have not had anything for the inspector to check.

You got a pretty good deal on that nailer, so check your local codes. It may be OK.

Ted

Tim Morton
12-03-2004, 11:27 PM
I don't see any reason not to buy the clipped head. There have been plenty of studies that sat that structurally there are no differences and especially for the DIY'er, why not save a hundred bucks or more? The nails themselves are virtutally identical except for a tiny little nick out of the head, so if in doubt use 2 nails :D

Michael Perata
12-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Tim

The cost of pulling 1,000 nails out of job because the inspector burned you for clipped nails is enough to: 1) ask the question as to local codes, or 2) buy a round head nailer up front.

I once had a framing contractor nail off 40 or so sheets of 1/2" CDX as shear thinking framing staples were allowed. They weren't and it cost him a bunch of money and time to pull all those sheets and REPLACE them with new sheets nailed with round headed 8d.

Tim Morton
12-03-2004, 11:56 PM
No major jobs, a few home projects and maybe a shed.

I don't think a building inspector is going to come around and have him pull nails out of his shed do you? Or maybe I'm just lucky to live in vermont :D

Rob Russell
12-04-2004, 8:17 AM
I'm a little puzzled about the N80SB being a clipped head nailer. I have a N80xx, maybe CB - my brother is using it right now and it shoots full head nails.

Jason Roehl
12-04-2004, 8:38 AM
I'm a little puzzled about the N80SB being a clipped head nailer. I have a N80xx, maybe CB - my brother is using it right now and it shoots full head nails.

Here you go, Rob:

http://www.bostitch.com/default.asp?TYPE=CATEGORY&CATEGORY=BOS%5FFRAM%5FNAILER

The SB is a stick magazine (clipped head), the CB is the coil--I presume yours is a coil magazine?

John Weber
12-06-2004, 8:27 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'll hang on to it awhile. The price was right and I don't think I'll have any problems for the projects I want to use it for, so I should be ok. It seems like the Bostitch were the first nailers to be commonally used around here and I've been very pleased with my finish nailer, so if I end up keeping it it should serve me well. Yes, Tyler thank you for your note and I'm glad you are enjoying the book.

John

Boyd Gathwright
12-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Hi John,

.... What Steve Cox said is exactly right: “It depends on your building codes. Clipped head nails don't have as much holding power as round head. In some areas they are not allowed to be used for framing. Check your local building codes.” A few years back I bought a clipped head framing nailer and quickly found out that it was NOT code also and had the opportunity to exchange it for a round head nailer. I was concerned that I might get myself in a situation were I would be up against the RULE BOOK regardless of how good the nailed joints were. I personally don’t see anything wrong with the tool and I soon learned it’s all about politics. I prefer the clipped head to the round head simply because there are so many more nails in one clip and more reasonably priced. Also, with a nailer, it has been my experience that you always use more nails than if you were driving them in by hand yourself, remember those days when your arm was ready to drop off. To me there is no concern about holding power what so ever and that is not just my option but others as well.

<O:p</O:p

Good luck with your new tool ;).

<O:p</O:p

Boyd

So does it make a difference? I picked up a Bostitch N80SB at Lowes today for $140 on clearance, but it is a clipped head nailer. I had planned to get a round head at some point, but the Bostitch seemed like a good value. No major jobs, a few home projects and maybe a shed. It looks like a round head Bostitch will run almost $270, although I can get a round head Porter Cable for a bit less. Thanks for any comments.

John

Kelly C. Hanna
12-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Codes state round head these days, clipped heads aren't that much smaller. I'm sure the round heads hold on a few nanoseconds longer, but in an F-5 nothing stands anyway.

I use a clipped head nailer and have problem with it. Takes all I have to pull one out after firing it in.

vince velardo
05-14-2008, 1:56 PM
:)I just bought the senso 601 30degree clipped head framing nailer and am able to use round head deck nails. Should this be possible ?
Thanks Vince

Scott Long
05-14-2008, 2:06 PM
I have the exact same framing nailer. I was a little puzzled the last time I went to buy nails. I was looking for clipped head nails, but they didn't have any. Here Bostitch had stopped making clipped head nails, they made the round head nails work in the clipped head framing nailers. the head is just offset. So my guess is you shouldn't have any problems with the codes.

Matthew Voss
05-14-2008, 2:18 PM
:)I just bought the senso 601 30degree clipped head framing nailer and am able to use round head deck nails. Should this be possible ?
Thanks Vince

Its the angle of the collated nails, not the head type.

Matt Ocel
05-14-2008, 2:24 PM
I have the Hitachi clipped head nailer and have had it before clipped heads became outlawed. They say on the nail boxes that the round heads will work in the clipped head guns.
Yeah Right.
They do, but not very well, when you get towards th end of a clip.
It tends to jam the gun.

Peter Quinn
05-14-2008, 2:30 PM
I doubt on a practical level you'd have any problems with clipped head nails for light framing. Building codes may apply different rules, but I reiterate "ON A Practical level". I'm guessing there are some engineers some where who have used highly scientific methods to deduce that full heads are marginally better under conditions of extreme stress? Fact is for most things I use my framer I don't get the building inspector involved any way, if your framing for a living code compliance is a necessity.

In my neck-o-woods most local codes don't allow clipped heads any more, and most building suppliers don't sell them, though there is some cheater "almost nearly very close to full head" nail that passes and allows you to use your clipped head nailer.

I bought a full head bostich to avoid the hassle, billed it to a client so money was not my concern at the time of purchase. It does positive placement for joist hangers too, though I've never used that feature. The one place I feel the clipped head is a distinct disadvantage is when nailing sheathing. I just don't like that little head trying to hold down the plywood that holds the whole structure together. You might have problems tearing apart two studs nailed with clipped heads, but its not that hard to pull a clipped head right through the face of the sheathing!

Peter Kuhlman
05-14-2008, 3:28 PM
Several manufacturers are making "offset" round head nails that look just like a normal full round head nail. Only difference is the pin is offset from center to allow for an angle magazine. Visually after being nailed, they are full round head appearance and function. I would not go with the clipped head and have been told by Paslode and others that the clipped head is being phased out for the offset round heads. Meets the codes.
Pete

Rob Will
05-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Stay away from the Senco 600 series at Lowes. I had two of these home owner grade clipped-head guns. After a bunch of problems and almost zero ability to get them fixed, I asked the manager of a real lumber yard (not a BORG) just what kind of nailers were working the best in our area.

He recommended Paslode and gave me the phone number of the Paslode rep. Paslode took my junk guns in on trade and sold me a real framing nailer for $150. FYI: I think Bostich is the same gun as Paslode.

Do not use clipped head nails if your gun is designed for offset full round head. Yes, it will shoot them but it is hard on your driver pin.

If you don't believe it, lay a stick of each type nail on the table, one on top of the other. The offset full round will have about 7 nails in the same distance as the clipped head has 8. (Clipped head nails are spaced slightly closer). This causes your driver pin to nick the second nail in line as it goes by. If your gun is making a spark every time you drive a nail, you probably have the wrong nail.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Rich Engelhardt
05-15-2008, 7:03 AM
Hello,
Nice gun - nice price (N80SB).
I bought the F28WW last summer and it's been a great gun.
IIRC, about the only differences between them are the F28WW is magnesium, shoots full head and will drive into masonry.

Paul Johnstone
05-15-2008, 4:21 PM

John

It all depends. I bought a clipped head nailer to save the money.
I also don't get the inspector involved in any "inside the house" renovations. The inspectors here are clearly incompetent based on what they "passed" on my house by the builders : drain pipes not having the correct slope, 8" of a 2x10 joist notched (gee, just maybe that's not structurally sound :mad: ), etc, etc. I'm of the opinion that I can do a better job if the government is not involved, although I'm not criticizing anyone that follows the rules..

If I was going to build an addition to my house (no plans), I'd call the inspector and see if they insist on full heads. But just for odds and ends work, a clipped nail is fine.

Denny Rice
05-15-2008, 4:48 PM
Last summer I had a good size project and purchased a Bostitch round head framing nailer. After speaking to a couple of inspectors in my hometown I found that if the project required a building permit and built with clipped nails I would be in troube. Its better to be safe than sorry. Check your local codes.:) What does not make sense is that they sell clipped head nailers in my hometown.